BMW R1200R Forum banner

Cylinder head cover replacement?

3K views 13 replies 8 participants last post by  trogdor1138 
#1 ·
The unspeakable has happened. Found my beloved r1200r lying on its left side in the morning. I don't know if it was kids, or a theft attempt... Almost no damage, except of course the left cylinder head cover which is badly scratched. No cracks, no fluids, seems functionally intact, and I can't see the damage unless I crouch down, but I *know*it's there and it bugs me.

I expect the BMW part will cost an arm and a leg... Anyone know know of suitable alternatives? And by suitable, I mean without doubt as good as the BMW? this bike is in mint condition, nearly showroom state, I don't want to slap on a cheap ill-fitting discolored piece of junk (so in the end I may have to swallow the BMW pricing). But this community is great so I thought I'd check. Maybe a used part, but who would sell a used cylinder head cover and why?

My ride is a 2017 r1200r.

Any tips? Thanks!

#2 ·
Bummer, Daniel.
I’ve never seen any alternatives on the market, but you could look at used replacements. Beemer Boneyard, or Motorworks (UK), for example.
Depending on how deep the scratches are, an alternative may be to simply repair it. File/buff out the scratches, prime and paint it.
Of course there are many on this forum who would recommend some head protectors, like Machine Art Moto.

#5 ·
Valve cover protectors are consumables. If you damage them beyond your ability to tolerate looking at it you replace them for a lot less money than replacing a valve cover.

#4 ·
MaMo head covers are a tough plastic with a rubber shock absorbing liner. They’ll get marked in a tip over, and scuffed in a slide - how much depends on speed, but in most cases it won’t be an abraded head cover that causes the bike to fail to proceed.

If you want to replace the head cover, it’ll cost US$398. You shouldn’t need to replace the gasket - they last the life of the bike if cared for.

#6 ·
Here's what a Machine Art Moto head protector looks like. In a parking lot drop it probably would not show and damage. If you do damage it you can replace just the one cover instead of buying a new set.

#9 ·
So, I was filtering yesterday (100% legally here in Utah) and had an incident. A truck pulling a dual-axle trailer was far to the right in its lane, but I was still able to squeeze through with some care. However, traffic started moving as I was forward of the trailer wheels but behind the cab. Oblivious brodozer clipped my left cylinder head with the wheel cover on his trailer. When I dabbed with my left foot to keep the bike up, the trailer ran over my foot for my trouble. Whether he was unaware or just didn't care, the guy kept going. I'm not going to chase down a 3-ton vehicle on a 500 lbs bike, especially in a state where we now have permitless concealed carry ( :rolleyes: ), so I'm left with fixing it.

Has anyone attempted to paint one of these? In my case, the damage appears to be mostly to the paint, with relatively minor gouging to the cover. I'm thinking I could sand it down, use a filler for aluminum materials, and then paint it. The paint is readily available, but I'm not sure how to finish it. I would assume it's got a coat of clear, but it doesn't look like the standard high gloss 2K. Maybe paint, then an eggshell/matte clearcoat?

#10 ·
Ouch! The foot, not the cylinder cover! Never mind the bike, do you have any injury from a trailer rolling over your foot?

Back to the cylinder cover, I'd also like to know about having mine repaired rather than replaced. I know nothing about body work, so I'd take it to someone, but I'd need to do my homework for paint color and clear coat.

#11 ·
Yeah - hoping no foot damage! In Oz, we filter legally, but essentially at our own risk (filter only if safe to do so), and in some states not past heavy vehicles.
My (limited) understanding is that all metallic paints need a clear top coat, and in this case a matte finish, it seems. Unless you get a definitive answer, it may be worth giving the other head cover a light coat too so that you achieve identical sheen levels.

#14 ·
No injuries; trailer wasn't loaded and I always have motorcycle footwear on when riding. It was sore for a bit but that's the extent.

I'm familiar with the MachineartMoto guards, but even if I was to add them I'd still want to fix the cover. It's all the more irritating because the covers are nearly pristine, no chips or scratches to speak of. The anodizing on the fork has a few nicks, but somehow the heads have escaped the same fate.

Now my GS on the other hand, that's got scratches and dings all over. Skid plate, engine bars, fairing bars, and BarkBusters all installed. The R1200 is my nice bike and I'd like to keep it that way.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.