BMW R1200R Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Premium Member
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Posted some photos in the Photo Gallery of the D.I.Y. oil cooler screen I have added to my 14 R. After looking at the various commerically available versions I decided that I could add my own for less money and complexity. Wanted one which would keep the bugs and other small stuff from being able to impact the Oil Cooler directly while making the cooler shroud look a little more finshed. I have already added a fender extender so it was for looks and light duty protection. After removing the cooler shroud, I determined that a mesh screen could be installed on the shroud for ease of installation and servicing. I searched the web and found that R&G sells a Universal Radiator Mesh, the piece supplied is 12" X 16" and powercoated black and includes 6 zip ties (not used). It is available in the U.S. from Twisted Throttle elsewhere it would be available from RG-Racing.com

1. After removing the shroud and looking at the oil cooler, I decided that I wanted the diamond pattern in a vertical orientation to match with the cooler fin openings.
2. Using a carboard template of the needed piece of mesh, I cut and bent the edges to fit the inside of the shroud.
3. I choose to use two small (not the included ones) zip ties in the center opening to hold the mesh in place. Only one of the zip ties would be visible when the shrould was installed on the bike, at the bottom of the center opening.
4. After drilling two small holes for attaching the mesh with the zip ties and attaching the mesh, I used silicone adhesive sealant around the edges to adhere the mesh to shoud and to protect from sharp edges of the mesh.
5. I allowed the silicone to dry overnight before I re-installed the shroud.
Hope this is useful for some fellow R1200R owners.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Very nice Air_Ops. Very professional look.

It's certainly given me the incentive I needed to give it a go for myself.

·
Registered
5,262 Posts
Very nice job, A_O, almost identical to what I did myself. Major difference is that I did not seal my mesh to the shroud, so that it could be quickly and easily removed for cleaning - it gets pretty filthy down there!

Mine is s.s. too, so when the need arises I just chuck it into the dishwasher - comes up sparkling!

A worthwhile addition to any R, IMHO.

L of S

·
Premium Member
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I do agree LoS with the cooler low and in the line of fire the need to clean it was part of my thinking when I did it. Two scews to remove the shrould and it can be soaked and cleaned in a bucket, also if it needs to be removed for service it would stay with the shroud. And best of all less than half the cost of the commerical ones.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Free Mesh now!

Like Lawrence, I decided that the screen did not need affixing to the shroud.
By cutting the mesh somewhat larger than the opening, I was able to shape it around the locating tabs at the bottom, and the bulging shapes of the shroud at the top.

BTW - I now have more of this mesh than I know what to do with.
If any Aussie would like some, I'd be happy to cut a piece off and send it in a bubble-bag. Non-Aussies also welcome, but you may have to come and pick it up.

Attachments

Reactions: JohnnyRS

·
Registered
174 Posts
BTW - I now have more of this mesh than I know what to do with.
If any Aussie would like some, I'd be happy to cut a piece off and send it in a bubble-bag. Non-Aussies also welcome, but you may have to come and pick it up.
I can only wish...especially at this time of year.

·
Registered
135 Posts
[Originally Posted by BrownAndy

[BTW - I now have more of this mesh than I know what to do with.
If any Aussie would like some, I'd be happy to cut a piece off and send it in a bubble-bag. Non-Aussies also welcome, but you may have to come and pick it up.]

BrownAndy, PM sent.

·
Premium Member
689 Posts
Mesh screen

Very professional looking job AirOps!
I will have to put this on my list.
Thanks for the photos and "keep the shiny side up".:clap:

·
Premium Member
1,157 Posts
Like Lawrence, I decided that the screen did not need affixing to the shroud.
Like BrownAndy and LoS I used an oversized piece and wedged it in there against the screw posts and the slot recess.

Big thanks to BrownAndy for supplying the mesh for the job.

·
Premium Member
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
My thinking on attaching it to the cover was that the cover would have to be removed to take the screen out for cleaning, I could clean it while it is still attached to the cover in a bucket of water and it would not get damaged/lost while the cover is off. Most importantly the enjoyment of the D.I.Y. and lower cost compared to products for sale.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Brilliant piece of advice, did this to my bike. A cheap and effective screen. Went for a ride and got a little lost and ended up on a stretch of rough track, would have been worried about the cooler, hit a large pot hole hidden in the shadows. I think the telelever front end saved me. Nice not to worry about the cooler.

·
Registered
708 Posts
like the way you used silicon to glue it on, it's great stuff for such a job, good thinking!

·
Registered
1,879 Posts
1 - 20 of 27 Posts