BMW R1200R Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
5,106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)

I do like to personalise things associated with the motorcycle, without going too far over the top. My recently-acquired small top-box is now graced by an R1200 R decal, exactly matching the one on the tank – see the pic below. I think that this neatly balances the looks of the bike, front and back, without overdoing things.

My helmet is also adorned with my nom de motorbiking, Lawrence of Suburbia, in a nice curvy handwriting script, just in case I forget who I am while out riding! This has caused more than one passing stranger to comment on it, when I might be sitting outside having a coffee, helmet on table in front of me, or wherever. All very pleasant!

I’ve also in the past put the same Lawrence of Suburbia decal unobtrusively on the bike: f’rinstance on my last GS, it was along the side of the front ‘beak’ and/ or across the top front of the screen – see pic.

Also in the past, on an earlier GS, I had the lids of the black plastic BMW hard panniers painted to match the bike, and put on the lids matching R1200 GS decals, again looking very much in keeping with the bike and balancing front and back visually.

This latest R1200 R decal was very kindly made up for me by fellow Forum participant Erin, aka here as <mcmonkey mcbean>, who tells me that she can make up kits of pretty much whatever bike stickers or decals you desire, in your colour of choice. Reflective vinyl can be used at a small extra cost.

Erin charged me only AUD (or US) $28 including postage from NZ to Oz for four (4) of these decals in soft silver vinyl, matching the original tank decals exactly.

Knowing that I was intending to make this post, Erin asks me to advise anyone interested to contact her direct on the Personal Messaging (PM) link here. I’m outta here now!

Cheers… and enjoy!

Lawrence of Suburbia

Outer Brisbane, SE Queensland, Australia

2012 R1200R: Montego Blue with ABS, ESA, RDC, OBC, Puig rear hugger, Eagle semi-touring screen, Stebel Magnum horn, Grip Puppies, ss oil-cooler guard, Abdeckring installed, Wunderlich ‘Trophy’ fairing coming soon… that’s it!

·
Registered
36 Posts
I think it looks fine - consistent with the bike. I once did a similarly discrete logo change Norton Commando back in the '80's. I sprayed over the "Norton" logo (black on a red tank) and replaced it with stylized "Notrun" script. Very few people noticed.

I may go the other way on my '07 R1200R, though. The script on one side of the tank is perfect and on the other it's peeling and crumbling. I was thinking about just taking both of them off and letting everyone wonder.

·
Registered
5,106 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
... for me its over kill
D'you know what, D4VO - I kinda partially semi sort-of half to a degree in part am leaning towards (all other things being considered and weighing up one against the other) tending - perhaps - to partially agree with you.

The size of the logo on the top-box is perhaps out of scale with the box itself (tho' I hasten to add that it was made by Erin to my measurements!).

I might get her to re-do it in half-size, more in keeping with the dimensions of the box but still adding a bit of graphic balance to the look of the overall machine.

Thanks for your input...

Lawrence of Suburbia

2012 R1200R: Montego Blue with ABS, ESA, RDC, OBC, Puig rear hugger, Eagle semi-touring screen, Stebel Magnum horn, Grip Puppies, ss oil-cooler guard, Abdeckring installed, Wunderlich ‘Trophy’ fairing coming soon… that’s it!

·
Premium Member
3,991 Posts
D'you know what, D4VO - I kinda partially semi sort-of half to a degree in part am leaning towards (all other things being considered and weighing up one against the other) tending - perhaps - to partially agree with you.

The size of the logo on the top-box is perhaps out of scale with the box itself (tho' I hasten to add that it was made by Erin to my measurements!).

I might get her to re-do it in half-size, more in keeping with the dimensions of the box but still adding a bit of graphic balance to the look of the overall machine.

Thanks for your input...

Lawrence of Suburbia

Well....I could do you a small sized decal for the side of you rear box....Los(in signature style) R1200R

·
Registered
5,106 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well....I could do you a small sized decal for the side of you rear box....Los(in signature style) R1200R
Thinking about it Erin, thinking...!

L of S

·
Registered
172 Posts
I am planning some “nose art” for mine in the style of the WW2 American bombers showing the female form and it will be a bit risqué but tasteful.

I am just not sure if I want to use the mudguard or the side of the tank or both. :icon_scratch:

I am planning to use waterslide decals then, when it is dry, go over it with a couple of coats of wax polish to help seal it in.

I was thinking of a couple of coats of clear lacquer but I am not sure of my competence in doing this to get an acceptable finish.

-Basmaf

·
Registered
195 Posts
I think it looks cool, Lawrence! I like changing up decals and emblems to make my vehicles truly mine. On my '93 Nighthawk, the "Nighthawk 750" decal emblem had a very splashy font that I didn't really like. I have friends that cut vinyl decals, so I picked a neat looking font that matched the bike better and had "CB750" decals made. I think they look a lot better.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Lawrence, where did you get the r1200r decal? I'm looking into vinyl wrapping my tank to change the color from black to white, but would need to apply a decal.

Thanks!

·
Registered
5,106 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Lawrence, where did you get the r1200r decal? I'm looking into vinyl wrapping my tank to change the color from black to white, but would need to apply a decal.

Thanks!
Forum member Erin (mcmonkey mcbean - don't even ask!!!) did mine for me. She is a near -neighbour (in NZ) and can do pretty much anything, I believe, along these lines. Quick friendly service, quite inexpensive. PM her here, or I can PM you her e-m address if you'd prefer.

Cheers - happy to help...

L of S

·
Registered
172 Posts
Thanks L of S! If I actually get to wrap the tank I'll definitely ping her! I'm surprised the gurus at this forum don't know where to buy a near original decal.

·
Premium Member
1,242 Posts
I think it's a little of an overkill, but if you are thinking about redoing it smaller, think also to make it reflective, so it actually helps.

I did something like that on my last bike, black on reflective black, you coudn't see it during the day, but it worked and looked nice at night.

·
Registered
172 Posts
That looks great at night! If I wrap the tank I'll want the logo to look as factory as possible and visible on white (or yellow or blue). Perhaps a "hidden" reflective label below it.

·
Registered
5,106 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
That looks great at night! If I wrap the tank I'll want the logo to look as factory as possible and visible on white (or yellow or blue). Perhaps a "hidden" reflective label below it.
Erin can do reflective. E-mail her at [email protected]. Tell her I sent you!

L of S

·
Registered
5,106 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
additional top-box decals...

I am quietly pleased with the newly-applied ‘roadster’ decal that’s now on the side of my small top-box, placed underneath the ‘R1200 R’ decal supplied some time ago by Erin (mcmonkey mcbean here).

The new decal is quite thick-ish, with a nice brushed-aluminium finish to it.

Cost only a few $s from E-Bay, under ‘automotive decals and stickers’ – I believe it is actually intended as a door-sill decal for certain BMW cars. It took a while to get here as the first mailing seems to have gone astray, but there was no hassle about a replacement being mailed to me.

It occurs that this could also neatly and nicely give a bit of a visual ‘lift’ if applied to hard black panniers…

Lawrence of Suburbia

2012 R1200R: Montego Blue with ABS, ASC, ESA, RDC, OBC, Puig rear hugger, Stebel Magnum horn, Grip Puppies, ss oil-cooler guard, Abdeckring installed, Go Cruise throttle control, Wunderlich ‘Trophy’ fairing. Now at 10329 km…

·
Premium Member
3,991 Posts
Hi all, Yes I can do reflective pinstrips for your wheel rims.

Reflective r1200r logo for the tank (same as original) the 'white' reflective has a metallic silver finish so looks like your normal r1200r decal through the day and at night works as a reflective decal the added bonus of catching attention in the headlights of cars coming at you from side on.

I can also send through the post in a envelope a custom name for your bike like "Dr Strangelove" had me do last week in white.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts