BMW R1200R Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings - I live in Devon and ride a BMW R1200R Classic. Before that I was riding a PAN ST1300, but decided it was time to make a change. It's been such a bad winter and I had such a longlasting chest infection, I wondered if I should have kept with a Tourer and chosen a R1200RT for more protection. However the sun is coming out and I'm getting better and I'm really enjoying the R1200R again. Like pedal cycling, it reminds me of the difference between a touring bicycle and a roadbike. A touring bicycle is more low slung and great for touring, but a road bike is friskier. The R1200R compared with a R1200RT is like that. Mostly I do local rides so I think the R1200R is more fun for me. Someone somewhere mentioned the shorter wheelbase which makes a difference too. I do have all the luggage though and I'm planning a trip to Brittany with a pillion friend. So I look forward to that. I think the R1200R Classic is a great bike to look at too; not so sensible looking. The PAN was good though. The V4 on the PAN is a great engine, but it's really heavy and expensive. I notice the the R1200RT is lighter than both the PAN ST1300 and the smaller NT700 Deauville; and the R1200R is lighter than all of the shaft drives. So that is good for me. I'll be exploring this site for lots of advice and interesting threads. Thanks. Cheers, Pete:)

Premium Member
Hi Pete. The R1200R is definitely a lightweight compared with the Pan. The 12R is bike that does everything - most of it very well. You'll love Brittany, the roads in France are a pleasure to ride, just expect a tractor round every bend, especially at 4pm as that appears to be going home time!!!

Registered
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Dave - Thanks for that welcome. Yes I came to that conclusion about the R1200R. I thought the PAN was like a sportscar on 2 wheels; but the R12R is like a proper motorbike ha ha. My brother has had a R1150R for years and it's served him well. I thought about screens and looked at all the screen options, but I think it will spoil the look of the Classic, so I'll grin and bear the wind at higher speeds. Besides as a GS1200 rider once said to me, a bit of wind is good. It helps keep my speed down a bit too. Sometimes I noticed the R12R really kicks in when in 3rd or 4th for an overtake, but I'm too busy hanging on to look and see what the revs are ha ha. When I came to Devon, England, about 8 years ago I decided to do the IAM,(Advanced Riding), so I'll just have to try and remember some of that in France. I'll remember those tractors at 4pm though ha ha. Cheers, Pete

1 - 3 of 3 Posts