BMW R1200R Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dear folks, I searched but could not resolve...

Are there any engine differences on the LC years (not including the R1250R)? Specifically, did Euro-4 (Euro IV) introduce any changes for 2017? That is when they went into effect but perhaps bmw made the R compliant from 2015 on?

Other than colors and engines, there doesn't seem to be much change through the years. I happily owned a 2012 r1200r camhead for more than five years and after selling it last year, I'm wanting to get back on an LC. In the Northeast US if anyone has one nearby.

Many thanks,

Equ

·
Registered
484 Posts
There was a minor change to the gearbox for 2017 to make it less "agricultural" feeling. Other than that, I don't think there were any revisions before the 1250 was released.

·
Mark – 2015 R1200R-LC Exclusive
6,287 Posts
Check out this thread for all the details

Reactions: dbyker, rxc and equ

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Check out this thread for all the details
Thank you! I will pore over it... I was aware that ABS pro became an available option in 2017 (though apparently some production dates late-2015 onward were able to retrofit as well).

I am curious to hear if any forum member has direct, first-hand impressions on the engine changes... I ask this as I've had a 2015 and a 2018 KTM 1290 Super Adventure. On paper, KTM reports the same horsepower/torque curve but my experience indicated that the 2017+ models were a little weaker feeling off-idle.

·
6,287 Posts
There’s no change in the claimed engine power and there would seem no need to change the twist-grip to throttle butterfly mapping to meet Euro 4 requirements.

Of related interest, recent firmware updates have sharpened throttle response on the 1250 in Road mode. An early model I test rode felt soft in that respect compared to my 1200LC.

Reactions: equ

·
6,287 Posts
some production dates late-2015 onward were able to retrofit as well
ABS Pro requires the inertial measurement unit that is part of the Ride Modes Pro

·
Registered
172 Posts
ABS pro was a later option on my 2015 S1000RR. I enquired with the dealer about it, they had never done the job before and wanted almost $2000 to install. That's a hard pass.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
ABS pro was a later option on my 2015 S1000RR. I enquired with the dealer about it, they had never done the job before and wanted almost $2000 to install. That's a hard pass.
Oof. Absolutely agree... I thought it was a complimentary or at most .5 or 1 hr labor software update.

·
6,287 Posts
I thought it was a complimentary
You must be thinking of a different brand - nothing BMW Motorrad is complementary, except drinks in the showroom and only if it is shared with the car dealership.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Our 2016 R1200RS bikes came with the hardware needed for ABS Pro but not the software.
We received postcards from BMW USA saying we could have the software added for $485.
I never did ask our dealer if they charge the full rate or less.

Reactions: equ

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Our 2016 R1200RS bikes came with the hardware needed for ABS Pro but not the software.
We received postcards from BMW USA saying we could have the software added for $485.
I never did ask our dealer if they charge the full rate or less.
Thanks for that. That's still a bit much, I'd say... I don't know where I got the complimentary from... Wishful thinking... Well I have to find a bike first.

·
Registered
172 Posts
I think $500 is totally worth it. Yeah it's a ripoff for a software update, but it could save your butt one day. Cornering abs is a great technology.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
In the meantime, the 2017 I was close to buying is off the market... I'm still searching but may end up widening to RS or perhaps go crazy and pick up an RT or a GS!!! Am I that old yet?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts