BMW R1200R Forum banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

· Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone replaced the fugly OEM headlight on their LC R ?

I was thinking of replacing it with two lights, like a speed triple. I hate the look of the standard light, just drooping there in between the forks.

· Registered
218 Posts
I also strongly dislike the original headlight, it is also crap for riding at night time, especially in rural locations. Seems many others here
Love the original headlight, personally I wish there was a viable alternative .

Cheers

· Registered
579 Posts
I like it a lot....think it looks edgy/unusual/eye catching....the look of the overall package was one of the things that drew me to the 12R LC...we should have a poll on the headlight appearance and overall appearance.

· Registered
218 Posts
I like it a lot....think it looks edgy/unusual/eye catching....the look of the overall package was one of the things that drew me to the 12R LC...we should have a poll on the headlight appearance and overall appearance.
My main gripe is with the poor lighting performance offered by the headlight, BMW obviously wanted to make a style statement with the light but they shouldn't have allowed its look
to compromise it's function!

cheers
tony

· Premium Member
706 Posts
My main gripe is with the poor lighting performance offered by the headlight...
The LED replacement bulb (H7 LED Motorcycle Headlight Kit | H7 Motorcycle LED Upgrade) I installed a few months ago does improve the headlight output on regular beam. I'd like to put one in the high beam bulb spot as well, but just can't find the room without major mods to the housing back plate.

BTW, I like the look of the headlight style.

· Registered
153 Posts
It looks like it got punched in the nose like the unattracrive MV Agusta headlights.

Reactions: joebloggz

· Premium Member
2,878 Posts
Big Round Headlight

I think a big round headlight might work with the new Roadster's gold forks.

Size and appearance are concerns of some riders.
Others would rather sacrifice looks for better light beam projection down the road.
BMW bean counters are also looking closely at COST, which limits choices.

I have always been a fan of the single round headlight.

Or even a SET of them for safety sake at night.

But each of us will choose how much is TOO MUCH.

· Registered
345 Posts
I think that the headlight on my 2015 R1200R is pretty good. The high beam is especially well done. Because I ride in some pretty remote places at night, I did explore replacing the stock bulbs with LED's, only to find out that was not a plug-and-play project. I did add a pair of Cyclops LED lights, mounted on the forks, as high as I could fit them. I use the amber covers on the Cyclops lights during the day as marker lights. They are intensely visible.

As for the style of the headlight; I think that it goes well with the motorcycle. It compliments the angular gas tank shell - just my opinion. That said, I would not object to a round headlight, especially if I could mount two LED bulbs in it.

Pete

My main gripe is with the poor lighting performance offered by the headlight, BMW obviously wanted to make a style statement with the light but they shouldn't have allowed its look
to compromise it's function!

cheers
tony

· Registered
184 Posts
+1 for the hatred poll
It's the dumbest looking headlight, I thought a big round one might look ok. I fitted a wunderlich cockpit fairing to reduce the ugliness
Sorrymate, but tastes and opinions are luckily very different. I think this head light fairing makes it look much worst, but that is just my personal opinion and I'm glad you like it.
I have painted the headlight surround black and I really like the way it looks.

· Registered
708 Posts
Sorrymate, but tastes and opinions are luckily very different. I think this head light fairing makes it look much worst, but that is just my personal opinion and I'm glad you like it.
I have painted the headlight surround black and I really like the way it looks.
Yep it's all totally subjective - ugliness and all that. I had painted my surround black also but then I didn't like the stock screen so was looking to fix two things at once, I thought the bike looked good with no screen at all and the black headlight surround, might try that next:grin2:

· Registered
958 Posts
I don't ride much at night, but am still curious as to why they made the headlight look like it does. A nice round headlight would not have clashed with the existing design, as far as I cans tell.

If I were a design engineer, I'd be in my shop right now working on a replacement.

Think of the possibilities for a basic, round headlight with a large capacity bucket.

Unlimited choices for bulbs, lenses, bolt-on fairings, and you could use the bucket to hide things in, like a secret compartment.

I have an inventor friend, but I doubt that he'd be challenged by a project like this. Too bad.

· Registered
59 Posts
IMHO, the OE headlight is an awful looking thing.
Motodemic make some very nice conversions, but they're big $$$$
The R12 is a naked, so looks kind of stupid with a screen I think.
When fitted, they ALWAYS look like an afterthought. i.e. not part of the bike as it was meant to be...when it left the factory, a compromise.
I guess, deep down, those that HAVE had to fit screens to their naked bikes (which were of course designed to be naked) probably realise that they've got the wrong bike. :)
Maybe should have gone the extra $$$ for the RS in the first place?

· Registered
82 Posts
IMHO, the OE headlight is an awful looking thing.
Motodemic make some very nice conversions, but they're big $$$$
The R12 is a naked, so looks kind of stupid with a screen I think.
When fitted, they ALWAYS look like an afterthought. i.e. not part of the bike as it was meant to be...when it left the factory, a compromise.
I guess, deep down, those that HAVE had to fit screens to their naked bikes (which were of course designed to be naked) probably realise that they've got the wrong bike. :)
Maybe should have gone the extra $$$ for the RS in the first place?
got your round headlight conversion here.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts