BMW R1200R Forum banner

Different Headlight

31K views 92 replies 35 participants last post by  toddhollander 
#1 ·
Has anyone replaced the fugly OEM headlight on their LC R ?

I was thinking of replacing it with two lights, like a speed triple. I hate the look of the standard light, just drooping there in between the forks.

#13 ·
Sorrymate, but tastes and opinions are luckily very different. I think this head light fairing makes it look much worst, but that is just my personal opinion and I'm glad you like it.
I have painted the headlight surround black and I really like the way it looks.

#9 ·
Big Round Headlight

I think a big round headlight might work with the new Roadster's gold forks.

Size and appearance are concerns of some riders.
Others would rather sacrifice looks for better light beam projection down the road.
BMW bean counters are also looking closely at COST, which limits choices.

I have always been a fan of the single round headlight.

Or even a SET of them for safety sake at night.

But each of us will choose how much is TOO MUCH.

#15 ·
I don't ride much at night, but am still curious as to why they made the headlight look like it does. A nice round headlight would not have clashed with the existing design, as far as I cans tell.

If I were a design engineer, I'd be in my shop right now working on a replacement.

Think of the possibilities for a basic, round headlight with a large capacity bucket.

Unlimited choices for bulbs, lenses, bolt-on fairings, and you could use the bucket to hide things in, like a secret compartment.

I have an inventor friend, but I doubt that he'd be challenged by a project like this. Too bad.

#19 ·
IMHO, the OE headlight is an awful looking thing.
Motodemic make some very nice conversions, but they're big $$$$
The R12 is a naked, so looks kind of stupid with a screen I think.
When fitted, they ALWAYS look like an afterthought. i.e. not part of the bike as it was meant to be...when it left the factory, a compromise.
I guess, deep down, those that HAVE had to fit screens to their naked bikes (which were of course designed to be naked) probably realise that they've got the wrong bike. :)
Maybe should have gone the extra $$$ for the RS in the first place?

#20 ·
IMHO, the OE headlight is an awful looking thing.
Motodemic make some very nice conversions, but they're big $$$$
The R12 is a naked, so looks kind of stupid with a screen I think.
When fitted, they ALWAYS look like an afterthought. i.e. not part of the bike as it was meant to be...when it left the factory, a compromise.
I guess, deep down, those that HAVE had to fit screens to their naked bikes (which were of course designed to be naked) probably realise that they've got the wrong bike. :)
Maybe should have gone the extra $$$ for the RS in the first place?
got your round headlight conversion here.

#23 · (Edited)

Clear water makes the best lighting kits for BMW & cannbus acceptable.
I thought about doing what you had said. Two SEVINA’s too replace the headlight.
I could simply tig weld a nice small bracket and bring it too the dealership to have them install all the wiring and cannbus. SEVINA has high/low cannbus option too.

#33 ·
It would all be in previous posts. Headlight is the shallow one from Motodemic. Brackets are from LSL, the long ones.

I would honestly have to look up my past posts to see exactly what I did, as all that information has cleared from my head since I've moved to a Bobber build for my business

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

#35 ·
Not only do I like the stock headlights looks, I don't feel it is terrible at night. I expect an RT would be better, seeing as it has a wall of light. I am not dissatisfied with mine though. I have seen a couple posts where people indicated they were much more satisfied with the headlight after adjusting the beam upward. Perhaps mine came better adjusted than some?
All that and I will say I also quite like the diva Danielle's round headlight too.
It shouldn't be too hard to replace the headlight, just select one with the same hi/lo bulb arrangement, then add a DRL with the same draw as stock, and the canbus should be none the wiser.
I reserve the right to be mistaken, but it makes sense to me.

#36 ·
Hello fellow inmates. When I am bored I often shop on eBay. By this point in my life I should really have learned my lesson. But here goes.

I have tried (and failed) on previous bikes to just replace my halogen bulb with an LED. While the beam seems brighter, the reflector is not setup for it and scattered light is not an improvement for long throw. I wound up adding a set of LED driving lamps on my engine bars and they help for both longer coverage at night and more conspicuous triangle for visibility.

I came across this light on eBay LED Headlight with Angel Eye DRL for BMW R1200R 2016-2019 | eBay which aims to replace the entire headlamp in one shot. I like the idea/concept, but am leery of testing with nearly $400 of my hard earned money. Has anyone else tried this?

Thanks all...ride safe!

mike