BMW R1200R Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am not using quick shift, but with clutch fully engaged.
Sometimes pressing up does not work at all, while engine is at plenty high revs.
Often bike will not allow me to go to 3rd gear until I ride for 10-15 seconds after I got into 2nd gear. It’s like preventing me from going into 3rd until I ride at speed and for some time.
if I push and release gear change few times it may go into third.
Then after stopping I start again and it shifts 1-2-3rd just fine. Quickshift to 3rd also works but not pleasant to use since it produces slight push/jump.
its not always, about half for the time bike don’t want to go into third until I ride for some time.

Is it a common thing? Or my gearbox is broken? I guess if it was broken it would be much serious than this.

·
Super Moderator
5,407 Posts
Are you fully releasing the gear lever between shifts?

You mention quick-shifter. Can we assume we are talking about a Liquid Cooled model (2015+) - which year?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Are you fully releasing the gear lever between shifts?

You mention quick-shifter. Can we assume we are talking about a Liquid Cooled model (2015+) - which year?
yes I fully release and press again, it doesn’t shift.
2018 r1200r

·
Super Moderator
5,407 Posts
It’s still under warranty, so I suggest getting the dealer to look at it

·
Registered
601 Posts
Well, if the clutch is engaged (I presume you mean drive train and gearbox is separated...which I would say is disengaged), you should never have an issue changing gears except from 2 to 1 where it might have some resistance as it passes through neutral (some gearboxes have "protections" in place to avoid going from a high gear to 1 too quickly). So, something isn't going as it should, and if it's under warranty, definitely have the shop check it.

Now, if we're talking about the shift assist pro, if any number of protocols are out of alignment (largely torque being applied), the computer won't blip the throttle to allow the clutchless shift from gear to gear.

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
One thing to perhaps check. I normally wear big boots, stiff enduro-style things with bulky toe-boxes. I find that sometimes I don't fully release the shifter and when that happens, it won't shift up into the next higher gear. I find it's not easy to feel when I've fully released the shifter. I even adjusted the lever to give my toes more room under it. I've worn boots like this my entire riding life, and this is the first bike I've had where I experience this. Four years on, I think I might almost have it mastered :rolleyes:

·
Registered
82 Posts
Check the shift lever pivot stud to make sure it's tight. The retaining bolt on the back of my '16 worked loose causing the shifter to flop & inconsistent and increasingly difficult shifting.

I removed the bolt, cleaned and greased the pivot, then blue loctited the bolt. Problem solved cheap.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts