BMW R1200R Forum banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I wanted a cover for my motorcycle, but since the motorcycle is kept garaged it was more to keep dust off and not for the elements.

So I thought of making a light weight breathable 100% cotton cover that fits the shape more closely. The problem with off the shelf covers is that they are semetric and of course generic to fit a wide range of motorcycles.

So I started with Christmas in July by wrapping the motorcycle with baking paper sheets (which works terrible for baking) and masking tape, following the shape of the motorcycle.

I then drew lines on the paper where I wanted the seems to be and cut with a scissor along those lines. I ended up with with 5 panels. The seems of the paper was then reinforced with tape.

The paper panels were laid out on the fabric to ensure all fitted.

I used pins to secure the paper to the fabric and then used a scissor to cut the fabric 25mm wider than the pattern.

Before I removed the pins and paper, I used a chalk marker to outline each pattern. This would become the lines that I would follow with the sewing machine when joining the panels.

It was a my first try at my wife's sewing machine and it went better than I expected. Also learned how to wind the bobbin with new yarn and to thread the yarn through the machine.

The cover fits snuggly and follows the shape of the motorcycle.

I kept the patterns and might give it a go again in the future, maybe using a higher thread count for the material.

·
Registered
732 Posts
I’m happy just throwing an old bedsheet over the bike. :unsure:

Reactions: Panzermann

·
Registered
2011 R1200R Classic MU
200 Posts
Can I put in an order for one? Looks really good. Impressed about you learning to use the sewing machine. Very impressed.

Reactions: GenlJuba

·
Super Moderator
3,039 Posts
Here’s my DYI - aka throw the cover over myself … the closest thing to satin sheets for LC.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Mark – 2015 R1200R-LC Exclusive
6,509 Posts
… the closest thing to satin sheets for LC
There's a risk of getting all steamed up with that solution, Mike, and all that moisture can't be good for the bike...

Reactions: mikeS

·
Super Moderator
3,039 Posts
No risk here PZ, highly breathable and never had an issue in 4 years. Just saying.

• Haha
Reactions: Panzermann

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Here’s my DYI - aka throw the cover over myself … the closest thing to satin sheets for LC.
I see there is a clear hierarchy in the garage when it comes to covers. Who is the poor black sheep without a cover? 😂

·
Super Moderator
3,039 Posts
I see there is a clear hierarchy in the garage when it comes to covers. Who is the poor black sheep without a cover?
There's always one black sheep in the family and mine is 2020 HONDA CB650.

·
Mark – 2015 R1200R-LC Exclusive
6,509 Posts
My black sheep (Yamaha SRX6) gets the cotton bed sheet dust cover rather than the Panzer. The latter gets used much more frequently so doesn’t accumulate dust.

Reactions: mikeS and GenlJuba

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
A factor is also where you live. Here on the Highveld in South Africa the winters are dry and a dusty affair. Combine that with the August winds, garden services with an over eager chap with leave blower, and a roller garage door with a slight gap at the top for clearance, you'll find your motorcycle with a fine layer of dust within a day or two.

This is also why I am waiting for the first summer rain to settle the dust before I attempt to spray paint the 1979 Suzuki GS550E that I am rebuilding.

·
Super Moderator
3,039 Posts
My black sheep (Yamaha SRX6) gets the cotton bed sheet dust cover rather than the Panzer. The latter gets used much more frequently so doesn’t accumulate dust.
View attachment 112155
Every hard-working LC deserves at the end of each action-filled day a big fluffy bath and some crisp sheets before night-night.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
GenlJuba - The cover came out great! Not sure I could make one, I'm impressed.
Thanks v-rider. When I started the project with wrapping the motorcycle with the paper, it crossed my mind once or twice to say, “screw this, I will just continue using the bed sheet as is”, but thankfully I persevered.

How I usually tackle such unfamiliar projects is by breaking it up into simple steps and asking myself whether I have the skills and tools to do it. Although important to visualise the end product, I try to let it not intimidate me.
The following are those basic steps, and when thinking of them individually they are simple.
  1. Cover the motorcycle with paper
  2. Draw lines on the paper where the seams will be whilst the motorcycle is covered, trying to maximise flat panels
  3. Reinforce panels with tape and lay flat on fabric. Use pins to secure.
  4. Cut out pattern 25 mm larger than pattern to allow seam. Outline pattern on fabric with marker and remove pattern.
  5. The sewing is straight forward, align the outlines made in step 5 and put your foot on the go pedal 😁
  6. As for threading the yarn and winding the bobbin, there YouTube was my friend
  7. Have a loving wife on standby to assist when the yarn tension setting goes all haywire.
  8. Lastly, a sharp pocket knife to undo the mess made in step 7, and then try again

·
Registered
2011 R1200R Classic MU
200 Posts
Nice one GenlJuba. (y) You have started something. Good instructions.

My wife was going to do some machine sewing but has poor eyesight so struggles (eyesight used to be excellent and when the two daughters wrere little she often made or altered their clothes). Asked her how I could help. She showed me and I fixed a simple straight seam on a torn curtain. Hmm. What next I wonder. :unsure:

Reactions: mikeS and GenlJuba

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Nice one GenlJuba. (y) You have started something. Good instructions.

My wife was going to do some machine sewing but has poor eyesight so struggles (eyesight used to be excellent and when the two daughters wrere little she often made or altered their clothes). Asked her how I could help. She showed me and I fixed a simple straight seam on a torn curtain. Hmm. What next I wonder. :unsure:
That is all the skills you need. Mostly straight lines connecting with each other.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts