BMW R1200R Forum banner
21 - 40 of 45 Posts

·
Super Moderator
3,039 Posts
I must admit I've been known to slap on a bikini when on holiday. Just enough to cover my private parts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Mark – 2015 R1200R-LC Exclusive
6,507 Posts
I must admit I've been known to slap on a bikini when on holiday. Just enough to cover my private parts.
Scarily, I read the text before summoning the courage to scroll down to the picture. Phew!

Reactions: mikeS

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
It happend sooner than I expected, but I introduce to you the new and improved version number 2. Made with heavier weight fabric, use the Flat Felled seam for joining the panels and added decorative stitching.

Bonus is the Version 1 fits my GS550E almost perfect, so no wastage. Overall this was a great learning experience of a topic I knew very little about.

Below are some pics.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Good job 👍

Reactions: GenlJuba

·
Registered
521 Posts
I use my garage for woodworking... Any chance you could post the pattern/instructions with panel dimensions? That would be perfect for keeping the dust off the bike while doing projects...

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
I use my garage for woodworking... Any chance you could post the pattern/instructions with panel dimensions? That would be perfect for keeping the dust off the bike while doing projects...
The patterns I used is already in the dustbin, I reckoned the one I made will last a lifetime. The challenge is that if one were to draw it, you will have to make use of a grid system to reference angles and where lines start, as there are not many straight lines at right angles.
Let me apply my mind and see if I can come up with something practical.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
There are 4 pages to the pattern.
  1. Pattern scale is 1:10
  2. Measurements are in millimetres
  3. A grid system is used, with measurements taken from the bottom left corner
  4. Allow extra 20mm on all sides for the seam allowance
  5. Sew together the sections in alphabetical order. It is basically front to rear, as front have very little tolerance where everything comes together at the mirrors, where as at the rear corrections can be made
  6. Before putting in the bottom seam, fit the cover on the motorcycle and trim the bottom so that the distance from the ground is even everywhere.
  7. 112235

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
And some “behind the scenes” of how I got the measurements for the pattern. 😁

I basically created a grid and used pieces of conduit to create straight lines and then reference it against a known square line. When drawing the pattern I also made use of all these straight lines that forms a grid over the page.

I hope this inspires someone else to also make their own.
The pattern would probably fit most standard naked bikes.
The critical measurements are the distance between the mirrors and how far back the seat section goes to the back. By altering these two measurements it can be adjusted for larger or smaller motorcycles.

·
Registered
315 Posts
The challenge is that if one were to draw it, you will have to make use of a grid system to reference angles and where lines start, as there are not many straight lines at right angles.
When we stopped drafting by hand at work I brought home several rolls of 36 inch wide graph paper for my wife to use for making patterns.
She used to do custom sewing and the paper with grids was perfect for her.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
When we stopped drafting by hand at work I brought home several rolls of 36 inch wide graph paper for my wife to use for making patterns.
She used to do custom sewing and the paper with grids was perfect for her.
That would make life a lot easier, for sure.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Very impressive project GenlJuba, next project the car? boat? caravan?
How difficult would it be to add a couple of eyelets in the centre at the bottom to secure it onto the bike. Overkill?
Love the scale model, just needs a 1:10 scale model BMW under it!
Got me thinking now...
Thank you.

·
Registered
521 Posts
There are 4 pages to the pattern.
  1. Pattern scale is 1:10
  2. Measurements are in millimetres
  3. A grid system is used, with measurements taken from the bottom left corner
  4. Allow extra 20mm on all sides for the seam allowance
  5. Sew together the sections in alphabetical order. It is basically front to rear, as front have very little tolerance where everything comes together at the mirrors, where as at the rear corrections can be made
  6. Before putting in the bottom seam, fit the cover on the motorcycle and trim the bottom so that the distance from the ground is even everywhere.
Awesome! Thank you! Time to go shopping for fabric... a knitter I follow has a new pattern that is tempting...

·
Registered
315 Posts
How difficult would it be to add a couple of eyelets in the centre at the bottom to secure it onto the bike. Overkill?
You can buy eyelets and a cheap tool. It's not difficult.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
Love the scale model, just needs a 1:10 scale model BMW under it!
Got me thinking now...
Thank you.
I suppose once you are comfortable with the method, the possibilities are endless.

Eyelets are easy, just watch out for using metal eyelets as you don’t want to scratch your paint when putting on or taking of the cover. There is always the option of sewing on eyelets made from the same material or using a type of webbing strap that is typically found on tie downs. If you have tie downs you can even cut off a small piece for the eyelet, so you don’t have to go and buy anything.

😁 now you got me thinking, I am going to do the eyelet idea for just in case I need it in the future.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
Awesome! Thank you! Time to go shopping for fabric... a knitter I follow has a new pattern that is tempting...

I like the pattern design, it is cheerful and funky.

I used 3m of fabric for the first cover. The fabric was for linen sheets, so it was extra width.

For the second cover I used 6m of fabric. I did not measure the width, but it was more towards the standard size bolt (between 110cm and 150cm).

21 - 40 of 45 Posts