BMW R1200R Forum banner

21 - 40 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
245 Posts
My "do-it-yourself" tire change set up

Replaced the clutch this past winter, after being quoted "$1600 minimum more likely $2000 - $2500" by local BMW shop I decided to do it myself. After $600 for the new clutch from BeemerBoneyard.com, $200 worth of specialty tools from MaxBMW and another $200 for miscellaneous stuff I don't even remember I was so overjoyed at the savings I sprang for a changer from Harbor Freight for a whopping $40 - https://www.harborfreight.com/manual-tire-changer-69686.html. At the time I spent an extra $40 and added the attachment to change the front tire - https://www.harborfreight.com/Motorcycle-Tire-Changer-Attachment-60810.html. I already had two tire irons which I picked up from CycleGear for $10 - $15 as I had tubes fixing a flat meant tires irons and tube patch kit on board all the time. I've since added a longer tire iron which I picked up from a local shop, visible in the pic. I returned the attachment as I couldn't get it to fit on my 2011 R1200R and would have returned the base tire changer if I hadn't marred it up mounting it to the plywood deck I built ($20 - $30 if you don't a have a piece of 3/4" plywood laying around and a couple of pieces of 4x4. Bottom line - this set up cost me less than $100, there's a $15 gallon of "tire bead lube" in the pic which I got at Napa. The changer has a shaft which goes through a lug hole on the rear wheel. The shaft was too large a diameter to fit on my rear wheel. Fortunately Harbor Freight tools are pure crap and I was able to cut the weld with a jig saw and I had complex plans to have a shop create a replacement shaft - turns out a 4" long lag bolt I had laying around worked just fine.

If I purchase a tire online local shops charge me $50 to mount and balance so one set of tires and the set up has been paid for. Balance - duh - I forgot about that. Google search returns a selection from $50 at Discount Ramps, $40 at Harbor Freight, Northern Tool under $100 etc etc. I also watched numerous videos about these lower end pieces and canceled their vote. I sprang for a Marc Parnes for $140. Here's the comparison video that sold me on the Marc Parnes:
. Now I'm at $250 for the set up soup to nuts or 2½ sets of tires.

How often do you change tires? How many miles are you getting? I get 8k on my rear (Road Pilot 4) and about 10k out of the front, so I go through roughly 2 sets of tires a year, some years 3. For me it's paid for itself. Here's the image.

Attachments

Reactions: Panzermann

·
Registered
143 Posts
For the big bikes I'll get new tyres fitted at the shop, but occasionally fit tubed tyres on the smaller bikes at home as I like to swap the types at times. The only time I remove and replace the big bikes' tyres is when I've had to plug them after a puncture as I like to patch the inside as well. I use a ratchet strap and the two bars on my hydraulic floor roller jack to break the bead and a pair of hefty tyre irons to get the tyre on and off the rim. Most of the time I can pop the tyre over that last bit over the rim without using the irons just by putting my boot heels on the tyre and standing on it. I use Windex for a lubricant. I get around 8000km to a front and rear, though I've had as low as 5000km on the front and as high as 12,000km on the rear, on Dunlop Roadsmart 2/3s and Pilot Road 2/3/4s. I've just bought my 69th tyre since 2010 and am getting the 70th fitted next week, both Avon Trailriders on the Versys 1000. If they work out OK I'll be using them on the R when it is due for tyres in about 6 weeks.

·
Mark – 2015 R1200R-LC Exclusive
5,863 Posts
Unfortunately it seems RuGLYDE is not available retail in Australia, Tony.

Google searching for water based rubber lubricants seems to return results referring to 'personal lubricants' only … :surprise:

Reactions: Dr. Strangelove

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
Unfortunately it seems RuGLYDE is not available retail in Australia, Tony.

Google searching for water based rubber lubricants seems to return results referring to 'personal lubricants' only … :surprise:

Hey, P, why don't you try the personal lube and come back and tell the class all about it.

There is nothing magic about RuGlyde. I have it, used it, and it seems nothing more than a somewhat concentrated aqueous soap solution. you can make something similar with dishwashing soap.

I built the contraption for breaking the bead, I have the motion pro tire irons, the Marc Parnes balancing act (nice guy and good products, btw). I did my tires a few times. the tie wrap technique is intriguing, but all the other techniques are really really really tough for me, and it seemed really dangerous, probably because I was incapable of doing it the right way, according to all the tire-changing guru whizzes who could do it in 15 minutes easy peasy. I'm not that guy.

My shop charges straight time, but it is usually an hour for two tires, balanced, and I can bring in my internet tires, or they will get them and charge me no markup ---The Transportation Revolution of New Orleans (Ducati, BMW, Triumph, Vespa)
The $100 charge for changing is very reasonable in my book, and keeps my hands and face and skull from harms way.

·
Registered
1,872 Posts
They work too. But I'd think that auto parts places or maybe bicycle shops should have something available of a less-personal nature. I bought a gallon of Tire Slick bead lube at a local place for not a lot of money. It lasts a long time. Probably not recommended for, umm, "personal" use :wink2:

·
Registered
143 Posts
Google searching for water based rubber lubricants seems to return results referring to 'personal lubricants' only

I use KY for seating cush drives and those rubber grommets on plastic panels. Always gets a laugh (and obscene comments) from anyone in the garage. It actually works extremely well and doesn't affect rubber or nylon. I got a bemused look from the cashier in the chemists when I bought three of the largest size tubes. Life in the old dog yet.

·
Mark – 2015 R1200R-LC Exclusive
5,863 Posts
I use KY for seating cush drives and those rubber grommets on plastic panels. Always gets a laugh (and obscene comments) from anyone in the garage. It actually works extremely well and doesn't affect rubber or nylon. I got a bemused look from the cashier in the chemists when I bought three of the largest size tubes. Life in the old dog yet.
One would sincerely hope it doesn’t adversely affect rubber (at least in the short term!). :wink2:

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
What's a Cush Drive? I looked it up and still don't understand. So my comments don't apply for things in the drive train???
Theoretically KY because it is water based could tend to dry things out--Admittedly the effect would be minimal to non-existant for your use, but that limits it use in some applications. Hard nylon would be impervious to whatever lube you'd choose.

The old wive's tale about petroleum jelly being bad and breaking rubber down is true, but the prohibitive advice is seriously flawed. If you look up the origin of that advice you'll get back to a study from the early 1900s that used it on pure rubber and when I read it I wasn't convinced. That advice has lived on, though, repeated time after time; its veracity never questioned. While it is possibly true about petroleum jelly and pure rubber, nothing is "pure" rubber anymore, or even rubber at all. So, all those grommets could live very well in petroleum jelly, and petroleum jelly resists oxidation UV and water very well. I often use it on the flat black parts of the bike ( like mirror housing, handguards, etc) to make them look new. Apply and wipe off excess well. It's easy and lasts months usually. Been doing it for over ten years without issue and with satisfaction.

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
Ah ok I understand a cush drive. I wouldn't use K-Y on that. Too mission critical to not follow factory recs, I'd think. Never owned a chain driven bike.

·
Registered
143 Posts
A cush drive is the rubber inserts in the rear hub which cushion shock in the drive train. When the bike is new or the inserts are being replaced they are a very tight fit and it can be difficult to seat the drive side into the hub, so a very light smear of KY on the sections where the alloy tongue on the mating side enters the rubber makes for an easier and better seat, with less chance of the parts grabbing and damaging the rubbers when the axle is torqued up. KY has no effect on rubber or nylon and is an appropriate lubricant to use, and it's not "mission critical" as the rubbers can't suddenly fail without warning. Over time or with extreme use the rubbers wear or harden and start to get sloppy, but it is very obvious when that is beginning to happen. Catastrophic cush drive failures do occur but they are the result of bearing failures in the hub, not the rubbers disintegrating. I've never come across a factory recommendation for seating cush drives, and I've owned around 60 chain-driven bikes. Some people use talcum powder.

Attachments

·
Registered
4 Posts
I change my own tries. I have for years. I used to have a tire changing stand, but I found that doing them by hand while being on the ground with the tire is actually easier. If I could afford the No-mar setup, I would prefer to use that. This is exactly the way I do my tires as in this video. It's not really that hard if you use the proper technique.

Reactions: Birkenfelder

·
Registered
16 Posts
The thing about changing your own tires is I never do it often enough to make any gains on the experience side. I've done it on both my Rockster and the 1200R, each time I swear I'll never do it again and then I do. Its rewarding to finish a task like that, apart from the savings. I do hate the process like few things.

·
Registered
216 Posts
The thing about changing your own tires is I never do it often enough to make any gains on the experience side. I've done it on both my Rockster and the 1200R, each time I swear I'll never do it again and then I do. Its rewarding to finish a task like that, apart from the savings. I do hate the process like few things.
I feel some things are worth paying someone else to do. Dental work, lap dances and tire changes are all on the list. Sure, I COULD do any of those, but for various reasons I feel paying someone else is not just worth it, it's probably a bargain.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I feel some things are worth paying someone else to do. Dental work, lap dances and tire changes are all on the list. Sure, I COULD do any of those, but for various reasons I feel paying someone else is not just worth it, it's probably a bargain.
Even the tightest wad among us I should hope, draws the line at Dental work :cool: - am not sure exactly how lap dances would work, they used to have something for that, emm . . . whats the name, man, its almost here . . . marriage! That's what it was! Free access to lap-dances; at least for the first 2 weeks lol! Tire changes on the other hand? Its not in the same class for me - I'm a software developer by trade - to avoid muscle atrophy I have to pay someone to enter their building in order to lift heavy objects - gyms they call'em. Beyond the sense of pride I appreciate the muscular strain, I suspect.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Even the tightest wad among us I should hope, draws the line at Dental work :cool: - am not sure exactly how lap dances would work, they used to have something for that, emm . . . whats the name, man, its almost here . . . marriage! That's what it was! Free access to lap-dances; at least for the first 2 weeks lol! Tire changes on the other hand? Its not in the same class for me - I'm a software developer by trade - to avoid muscle atrophy I have to pay someone to enter their building in order to lift heavy objects - gyms they call'em. Beyond the sense of pride I appreciate the muscular strain, I suspect.
The ladies like lap dances too ya know. And while I technically COULD do one, I suspect people willing to pay me for one are kind of thin on the ground.

I do know a handful of grown men that extract their own bad teeth. But I pay a guy in a white coat myself, if I'm polite he even uses novocain.

·
Registered
16 Posts
The ladies like lap dances too ya know. And while I technically COULD do one, I suspect people willing to pay me for one are kind of thin on the ground.

I do know a handful of grown men that extract their own bad teeth. But I pay a guy in a white coat myself, if I'm polite he even uses novocain.
This thread is beyond hope now so I'll say this - in my youth I went on an experimental fruitarian diet, yes it was a bit irresponsible if not stupid and no it wasn't because a pretty woman on Facebook said to. Next time the dentist looked down my gut he restrained himself and requested the limits on my credit cards! lol! In time I'm sure I got confused with some of his employees.

I do like to get intimate with my bikes and cars - I drive an E46 on which I've done all but rebuild the motor. Some people would rather play chess, or watch sports and to each their own.
Personally my ideal life would be living in a library basement across from a Tennis court

Also about that lap dance, how much are we talking cos . . . I could line up some clients;)

·
Registered
216 Posts
This thread is beyond hope now so I'll say this - in my youth I went on an experimental fruitarian diet, yes it was a bit irresponsible if not stupid and no it wasn't because a pretty woman on Facebook said to. Next time the dentist looked down my gut he restrained himself and requested the limits on my credit cards! lol! In time I'm sure I got confused with some of his employees.

I do like to get intimate with my bikes and cars - I drive an E46 on which I've done all but rebuild the motor. Some people would rather play chess, or watch sports and to each their own.
Personally my ideal life would be living in a library basement across from a Tennis court

Also about that lap dance, how much are we talking cos . . . I could line up some clients;)
Whatever it is, I probably can't afford it. But I have beautiful R, with every BMW billet piece, and a growing assortment of my own home made one off billet pieces.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Whatever it is, I probably can't afford it. But I have beautiful R, with every BMW billet piece, and a growing assortment of my own home made one off billet pieces.
You Sir are a gentleman and a seducer [its a compliment among the French]!
Do showcase your one-off billet pieces, we must return the artisanal back into automotive motorcycling!

·
Registered
40 Posts
I've been going to the BMW dealer, as they charge me .25 hour for laborer with me bringing them the wheel off bike. They add for the wheel weights.

21 - 40 of 41 Posts