BMW R1200R Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Evening all. I bought this fine steed last week. She had (I put the OEM can back on, too shouty, even for me) and came across a tiny problem fitting the OEM heat shield… it’s too short. I suspect this means I’ve got Remus downpipes as well… the flapper is fitted in the downpipes but I’m guessing it’s a decat too… anyway, not a biggie, I can make a bracket to extend it to the third mounting point. Your wisdom and experience appreciated. If it IS a Remus downpipe I’ll be selling the entire unit (plus silencer and heat shield) as soon as I get my hands on a good OEM…
Wheel Tire Plant Fuel tank Vehicle

·
Dave in NE TN
1,339 Posts
Welcome JasperB.

Those look like Remus stainless steel downpipes to me. Remus makes a good system. The full de-catted system gives a nice little power bump and smooth fueling in my limited experience. I'm not sure if it's still available due to increasing environmental regulations. In short, it's a desirable system, worth keeping or selling to someone who'll use it IMO.

If it was too noisy for you, rather than re-fitting the stock slip-on, you could check the Remus muffler to see if the baffle/db killer has been removed (assuming it's a Euro 3 or earlier w/ removable db killer). You might find it makes a nice tone with the db killer re-installed, if you have it or can get it.

Cheers and Welcome, Dave

Reactions: MGL and JasperB

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Welcome JasperB.

Those look like Remus stainless steel downpipes to me. Remus makes a good system. The full de-catted system gives a nice little power bump and smooth fueling in my limited experience. I'm not sure if it's still available due to increasing environmental regulations. In short, it's a desirable system, worth keeping or selling to someone who'll use it IMO.

If it was too noisy for you, rather than re-fitting the stock slip-on, you could check the Remus muffler to see if the baffle/db killer has been removed (assuming it's a Euro 3 or earlier w/ removable db killer). You might find it makes a nice tone with the db killer re-installed, if you have it or can get it.

Cheers and Welcome, Dave
Thanks Dave! Hmmm. The db killer was definitely in the silencer… winding the throttle open at “speed” it just SHOUTS. I prefer the sound of the OEM. Perhaps I’ve the best of both worlds now? 🙃

·
Dave in NE TN
1,339 Posts
I loved the full Remus cat-less system on my '06 R12GS, but it's not everyone's cup of tea.

Not sure how easy it'll be to find stock headers & cat, but if you do you'll probably find a buyer for your complete cat-less Remus system with the nice black carbon fiber silencer.

Cheers! Dave

Reactions: JasperB

·
Registered
178 Posts
You'll have no trouble selling a full Remus system.

I like the sound of mine.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Howdy, Mr Badger. I feed a relative of yours every night. Peanuts/cat biscuits. I hear you. And I’m now thinking that maybe I should keep the SHOUTY Remus system in total. Someone on 4 wheels, as they do, on a roundabout to my left, who’d stopped, and then as I approached let his brakes off AS THOUGH HE WAS GOING TO PULL OUT IN FRONT OF ME, (as they do, as they thoughtlessly do) and (in my head “he hasn’t seen me, he’s trying to bend my forks and break my bones” etc) got a wristful of Remus system. He gave me the finger. So maybe that Remus is goodly after all, eh? Why I deserved the finger, I don’t know. Seems like everyone is on the very edge of boiling over, out there, at the moment. Perhaps he was a dissatisfied Brexit voter. Who knows?

·
Dave in NE TN
1,339 Posts
Keep it. You'll have an easy time selling it. And a hard time finding another one.

Cheers, Dave

Reactions: JasperB
1 - 9 of 9 Posts