BMW R1200R Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My cousin has an 'older' one, probably a 2018 (or maybe 2019). His SV650, also with a 120/70 front tire does NOT stay upright by itself, defeating the purpose of a single trailer, at least for me. Both manufacturers say the chock was improved, but with the front of the chock still curved (rather than in a 'V'), I really doubt the redesigned rear cradle can hold a bike straight up by itself, but hope to be wrong. And THAT is why I'm asking for help here. My additional concern is the R1250R has huge rotors that could be damaged very easily. I asked Alpha Sport (which is the only one with trailers in stock right now) for photos of the improved chock. My cousin confirmed it's different than his, but can't say if it'd work as advertised.. By the way, the Alpha Sport guy wouldn't even say it holds the bike upright (just like they recommend 2 people loading the bike, even though they advertise their ride-up trailer as a 1-man operation in their videos). They obviously use a cruiser, with a wider front tire.

If it's not safe to leave the bike by itself in those trailers, is there an adapter that one can buy to make the space narrower for a 120/70 tire? I want that trailer, but only if I can use it by myself. Here is a link to the trailer, in case you're not familiar with them: Alpha Sport Single Folding Motorcycle Trailer

And photos of the cradle, so you can comment on that. Thank you guys.
JC

Attachments

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yep, that's exactly what the design should be (I had one of those for my MT-10), but a 'V' is obviously more complicated to do than a 'U', so it wasn't part of the redesign. It's still possible the Vs on the cradle can accomplish holding a 120-tire bike upright, but I want to make sure that's the case from an actual owner. And yes, the bike would only be upright by itself for a minute or 2, while I quickly stabilize it at the back (rear peg brackets) with buckle straps. Then finish the strapping job properly, and redo the back once the front is cinched down.

The other option would be to insert a plastic 'V' adapter that can lock into place from above. Or even a 'U' spacer that just leaves enough space for a 120 tire. But is there such a thing? Never seen one mentioned or pictured, so probably not. But if somebody knows of any, please post a link. That'd solve my problem, and I'd order the trailer immediately. I don't want to buy it if I can't use it by myself. Thank you for your input.

·
Registered
202 Posts
I see a hundreds of sport bikes loaded on & off transport each year. Many times I help.

No one I've seen trusts those Kendon chocks to hold bikes with sportbike size tires without some other support. People that do try to trust it don't do so for long.

Some people live with getting help, some people have put "pads" on the trailer so the kickstand will hold the bike up while they get straps on it, some people attach material to the inside of the chock to make it effectively narrower, some cut off the factory chock & weld in a Baxley type, some modify the trailer to add a Pit Bull rear axle stand.

I think Kendon is missing a profit opportunity to add a better option for the wheel chock.

Reactions: Lee F

·
Registered
425 Posts
some people attach material to the inside of the chock to make it effectively narrower, some cut off the factory chock & weld in a Baxley type, some modify the trailer to add a Pit Bull rear axle stand.
Those would be good options.
I know a guy who uses the Pit Bull trailer Restraint and it's one of the best setups I've seen.

"

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I think Kendon is missing a profit opportunity to add a better option for the wheel chock.
Yeah, and all they have to do is to make a 'V' on the front of the chock (rather than a 'U'), like basically all other freaking chocks on the market. My cousin confirmed the cradle is improved, but no way it can hold the tire in place, since the 2 'V's on the cradle are too close to hold the tire vertical. The highest point (the 'U') needs to also wedge the tire in place.

Anyway, I searched for 'spacers' for an hour, and zero luck. A plastic spacer that you just snap into place would be ideal, but just couldn't find anything. Both Kendon and The Trailer Store (they sell basically the same trailer -made in China) declined to guarantee their 'improved' chock would hold a 120-tire bike upright, even both claim their trailers to be a 'one man' operation, while conveniently using a fat-tired bike on their videos. But it's pretty obvious by looking at the chock that it's just not the case indeed. My only option would be to remove the supplied chock/rail unit (held by 6 bolts), and somehow be able to attach something else without having to weld it in place, so the trailer can also be used for something else, like it's the case with the stock chock/rail unit. The Alpha Sport trailer is $100 more expensive now, and Kendon just raised the price $300, so I'd buy an Alpha Sport now, or never. I prefer not to have the Kendon wheels, since that forces you to push all the weight of the trailer many inches higher (pretend you put a spacer on your center stand. Ha ha), so just rather move it around on the 2 wheels, and just push it up for storage. No need to wheel it around, since it's quite light to push around... and you can only roll it sideways anyway (center wheel is fixed sideways, so trailer doesn't roll when pushed up). Will now search for the cheapest but effective chock, and ask my cousin if he can help determine if it can be bolted to the trailer or not. Otherwise, I'd probably rent a U-Haul bike trailer the very few times I'd use it, and call it a day. Don't even have space in my garage anyway, so would have to store it in my brother's garage 2 miles away. Thank you for the help, guys.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Those would be good options.
I know a guy who uses the Pit Bull trailer Restraint and it's one of the best setups I've seen.
I don't think Pit Bull makes a pin for the R swingarm & big hollow axle. Could be wrong.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Yeah, and all they have to do is to make a 'V' on the front of the chock.....
<snip>
Just put a plywood pad on the trailer so the kickstand holds the bike up while you rig the straps. Leave the left strap loose enough that the bike can't tip right past vertical, tighten the right strap to pull the bike vertical, tighten the left strap to transport tightness, tighten the right strap. Hook and tighten the rear tiedowns. Snap one of the straps while you say the magic incantation "That's not going anywhere."

It works well on streetbikes. Track and race prepped bikes not so much.

·
Registered
425 Posts
I don't think Pit Bull makes a pin for the R swingarm & big hollow axle. Could be wrong.
My friend has a K1200S with the big hole final drive like the R1200/1250R and he uses the trailer restraint.

·
Registered
425 Posts
This video shows the Pit Bull Trailer restraint on a big hole final drive.
"
"

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Just put a plywood pad on the trailer so the kickstand holds the bike up while you rig the straps.
That's an option, but it's super windy here most of the year, so still not an ideal solution. Something like this, but designed for a tubular chock would work, but can't find anything: https://www.motoprohq.com/product-p...UByEpC4iY45C6N2JctQBSNrIL51Ws4QsaAtDwEALw_wcB

I also found the pic below on an old Kendon trailer, but they weren't tubular yet. But something like that anchored to the tube on top, and somewhere below, would probably work too. But again, would need to find something specific for this kind of wide tubular chock.

Attachments

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hey guys, need help with technical word for the 'V' adapter at the top of chocks like Condor, etc. Maybe that's my problem. The 'cradle' is the one at the bottom, so there must be a specific word to name that top (adjustable) part. Condor-lift.com doesn't show it as a replacement part, unfortunately (just the cradles). Another option would be to buy something like that and weld it in place. If it extends beyond the tubular structure, notch the chock at those 2 points, and it'd be even more secure. Thank you.

·
Registered
425 Posts
Hey guys, need help with technical word for the 'V' adapter at the top of chocks like Condor, etc. Maybe that's my problem. The 'cradle' is the one at the bottom, so there must be a specific word to name that top (adjustable) part. Condor-lift.com doesn't show it as a replacement part, unfortunately (just the cradles). Another option would be to buy something like that and weld it in place. If it extends beyond the tubular structure, notch the chock at those 2 points, and it'd be even more secure. Thank you.
I would rather have the cradle from a Baxley chock. It's the cradle that actually squeezes the tire and holds the bike upright.
The cradle gets narrower when the tire rolls onto it.

·
Registered
425 Posts
This video gives you a better view of the cradle so you can see how it pinches the tire.
"
"

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
The Condor, and almost every other such chock, uses the same type of 'V'-shaped bracket. Is the top part also called a 'cradle'??? I thought only the bottom one was called a cradle, and that part is fine on the trailer I'm looking at (it was redesigned in 2020). The problem is the top part of the chock, which is pretty large, and round; you also need that point wedged (the bottom is not enough), in order to hold a bike upright. But yes, the Baxter part would be perfectly fine too. Just have to find out if Baxley sells it separately... and judge if it could be welded in place, without pushing the bike rearward hardly anything, so the lower cradle can be adjusted properly. I used to have a Trackside chock, which is almost identical to the Baxley, and it worked great indeed. Bike was always rock solid in the garage. And used the same chock to transport the MT-10 on the bed of my ex-F150. Thank you for your input.

·
Registered
255 Posts
I've put probably 16,000 miles on my Kendon, and have found the the chock to be OK but not better than that. Good enough, just, that it isn't worth (to me) the effort and expense and trailer modification that you have to go through to change it.

IMO, the key is having everything pre-installed as much as possible so you aren't dancing around an unstable bike. A big help was permanently mounting CargoBuckle retracting units front and rear.

I install soft ties on the bike in the BMW recommended places, walk the bike (engine running and in gear obviously) up the ramp and into the chock. Stall the engine in gear.

Holding the bike upright, I can reach the left CargoBuckle hook and attach it to the front soft tie; snug it up a little so then I can push the bike to the right and it is held by the left-side strap. Move around the bike and attach the right hook. Snug up both.

Attach the rear hooks and snug them up.

Doing it alone isn't ideal but is perfectly manageable if everything is in place before you start.

Total load time - once prepared - is just a few minutes. I spend more time futzing around making sure I have everything I need, and in place.

Getting a bike off the trailer is the reverse, although I find loading to be easier than unloading - I usually try to have help unloading.

This works for me and of course YMMV.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thank you very much, Jack. Seems like you don't have the 'ride-up' model, and you still manage the 'chock' issue just fine, so decided to order the Alpha Sport trailer yesterday (before it goes up in price). The new chock might work better than I think, so we'll see. Otherwise, the first step would be to find a spacer for the side stand. But the strap 'preparedness' is a good suggestion too.

Kendon just raised their prices $300, so I needed to jump on the few leftover Alpha Sports before TTS (The Trailer Store) does the same. And I wanted the ride-up model, which is the only one they carry (Kendon has a cheaper one without the wide ramps and floor). Kendons have caster wheels, but I didn't want them anyway. I didn't like their lack of hooks for the safety cables (they require padlocks), but will look for lockable hooks, like on some straps (post a link if you've seen them, please:cool:). Should get it in 2 to 3 weeks. Thank you for all the help.

·
Registered
255 Posts
I do have the ride-up conversion but if you ride up you REALLY should have two people. The point of maximum instability - IMO - would be getting off the bike. You'd have to get off AND find a way to balance it AND fumble for a strap.

For me, the "ride up" ramp just makes it easier to walk up alongside the bike. I sometimes use the three panels of the ride up ramp, something just the center one. When I just use one I always, without fail, remind myself that next time I'll use the three parts as it is so much easier and much more stable.

Hope all this helps.

BTW, if a photo of the installed CargoBuckles would be of use/help, happy to post one or two.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thank you for your input. Seems to me if you have a 'spacer' (for under the side-stand) where it needs to be, it'd be easier to ride the bike onto the trailer. Having said that, after walking bikes on top of my truck (a much hairier situation, especially going back down. Ha ha), I wouldn't have a problem either way. I'm curious to see if the chock holds the bike upright or not on this supposedly improved chock, so will give that a chance first, by just lifting my butt off the bike, and rocking it side by side gently, and see what happens. Just to know how careful I have to be in the future. But yes, I'll have the spacer and straps right there. Might even give it a test run to the nearest mountain (about 200 miles round trip for the trailer) next year, and re-torque the wheels, just to see how things go. And how stable the bike rides. Still debating how to attach it in front: above the fork brace, to compress the suspension a little. Or at the bottom of the forks, right next to the calipers, where there's no suspension. And just compress the rear (from the passenger pegs) a little. How do you load yours? And yes, pictures would help a lot. Ha ha. Thank you very much for your help again. Trailer should get home in about 2 weeks.
JC

1 - 20 of 30 Posts