BMW R1200R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,797 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Another thread described a plug under the tank somewhere that takes a GPS cord. Does the '12 Classic have one of these? can it be converted to a USB output?

·
Premium Member
335 Posts
The classic and the non Classics are the same bike except cosmetically. There is a GPS plug under the tank.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Ok, I'll bite

What is a "GPS" plug?

There is a Powerlet power port on my 2013, on the left side, mounted to the frame about halfway back. This port will power anything with a compatible plug.

Is there something else I've missed?

·
Premium Member
2,873 Posts
GPS plug?

+1 las
websterize,new member but veteran R1200R rider, had a good post 3/19!

·
Registered
250 Posts
What is a "GPS" plug?

There is a Powerlet power port on my 2013, on the left side, mounted to the frame about halfway back. This port will power anything with a compatible plug.

Is there something else I've missed?
I believe it's a vernacular analogous to "cigarette lighter outlet"

·
Premium Member
335 Posts
A GPS plug is what it sounds like- a wired plug that, unused, you will find under the tank. It is switched and OEM for a GPS unit. When one adds a GPS to the bike, the wiring is already there to be used.it is in addition to the Powerlet outlet on the bike and plugs directly into the BMW GPS unit, and, I believe, other Garmin units.

·
Registered
250 Posts
A GPS plug is what it sounds like- a wired plug that, unused, you will find under the tank. It is switched and OEM for a GPS unit. When one adds a GPS to the bike, the wiring is already there to be used.it is in addition to the Powerlet outlet on the bike and plugs directly into the BMW GPS unit, and, I believe, other Garmin units.
Calling it a GPS plug is a bit like calling a wall socket a "vacuum cleaner socket" though.

·
Premium Member
2,873 Posts
gps?

websterize called it a GPS plug in his post. Most readers understood what he meant. A navigation device.
The photograph was clear.
Did BMW put it there to facilitate using their navigator?
I'm just glad that our newer bikes have it included. drDave was curious.
las was being helpful and patient with his explanation IMO.

Would you please tell us what the correct term should be?

·
Premium Member
862 Posts
Bah, I don't think terminology matters at all; it all depends on your local vernacular, and besides, most of the time you'd be using that plug for a GPS/navigation/tell me when to turn device anyway.

·
Premium Member
862 Posts

·
Registered
250 Posts
My point was simply that the plug in question can go by many names, and that it has more than one specific use. If you read anything else into my post, then that falls 100% on your shoulders.

·
Premium Member
1,797 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Wow. Who knew this was going to be a controversial question! :) Can that front outlet be adapted to USB? Is there a USB port adapter for it?

·
Premium Member
1,797 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yes, you will need this adapter: Powerlet To Cigarette Socket Cable - RevZilla
And then you can get this: Powerlet USB Type A & iPod 3G to Cigarette Adapter - RevZilla

Disclaimer: No relation to either company.
I thought the front outlet was a different plug from the side powerlet, no? Does anyone have a close up of the actual plug underneath the tank. If it's a dedicated Garmin plug, that's not going to be called a powerlet.

Where is the emoticon for "I'm SO Confused!!!!":confused:

·
Registered
250 Posts
I thought the front outlet was a different plug from the side powerlet, no? Does anyone have a close up of the actual plug underneath the tank. If it's a dedicated Garmin plug, that's not going to be called a powerlet.

Where is the emoticon for "I'm SO Confused!!!!":confused:
OH! Ditto :) I misread your question.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Does anyone have a close up of the actual plug underneath the tank. If it's a dedicated Garmin plug, that's not going to be called a powerlet.
It's a dedicated BMW plug (gray and black below). The Garmin Zumo 660 mount ships with bare wires that you should solder to the separate BMW connector plug adapter thing – white with yellow wires, about $20 at the dealer. See that photo I posted in the other thread. it's connected to the 660 mount with posiconnectors. Recommend soldering I stead of the connectors.

With the Navigator IV mount, no soldering necessary. You just plug it into the GPS plug under your tank.

gps_connector | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Lots of GPS photos and R12R pron in the link under my sig.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Found some additional information on that plug.

**WARNING** - the onboard GPS power connector supplies 12 volts (12V) and therefore is not suitable for direct connection to GPS units that require a 5 volt (5V) power supply without modification. Typically 5V systems e.g. 'TomTom One' charge/are powered via a USB type socket only but check your manual. 5V SatNav systems will require a 12v to 5v voltage regulator incorporated into the power lead (available from electrical/electronics retailers e.g. Maplins)
Motorcycle Info Pages - R1200GS Electrical stuff > GPS Sat Nav Power Connection

Good to know since most smart phones are 5v. I would probably just try to mount a 12-5v cigarette plug somewhere up in there.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,797 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
F-word. So. . .if I have a plain-vanilla Garmin Nuvi 310 or something like that. . and I want to solder/snap in/solder in etc. to that plug, I can order the BMW wire doodle, but now do I need a voltage regulator too? Has anyone posted how and what they've done for this? What about just setting it up as a 12v-to-USB socket. Any easy doohickies that would work? Sorry for all the technical terms. . ..

1 - 20 of 28 Posts