BMW R1200R Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2011 BMW R1200R Metallic Red Apple
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
New to me, 2011 R1200R 24,000 miles. According to service records the final drive oil was changed at 22,00 miles. There was no record of a transmission oil change. Just to be sure I changed all fluids, filters etc. Transmission oil looked new, while final drive looked old (black). Word to the wise, don't trust maintenance records just bite the bullet and service everything. (Next up, brake and clutch fluid.)

·
Mark – Moderator 2015 R1200R-LC Exclusive
2015 R1200R Exclusive
7,248 Posts
Early final drive changes are always black, I suspect due to the assembly grease used. I'd have expected it to have been clear by 24,000 miles though.

Reactions: JSnow

·
Registered
899 Posts
I did my second final drive fluid change. Oil looked just as black. I’d never expect oil that’s seen use to remain clear-ish. Might have had enough use after it was run 2,000 miles.

Reactions: JSnow

·
Premium Member
659 Posts
I think I would trust an owner's records, but dealers...I don't know. I always change all fluids when I get a new to me bike, just so I really know. BTW, just yesterday I changed my final drive oil at 24k miles and had previously done it 2 years/3k miles before and it was close to the fresh light amber color.

Reactions: Panzermann

·
Registered
77 Posts
I think I would trust an owner's records, but dealers...I don't know. I always change all fluids when I get a new to me bike, just so I really know. BTW, just yesterday I changed my final drive oil at 24k miles and had previously done it 2 years/3k miles before and it was close to the fresh light amber color.
Interesting viewpoint because i am looking at a 2015 R12R which has mostly owner services, only the 1st service & 20,000km major service were done by the dealer...Bike has 23,000kms the clock ! My main concern is that the owner has been using 10w40 oil & also 15w50 for a short period, instead of the 5w40 the book suggests...Unless my info is incorrect ?

·
Registered
5,297 Posts
Am I mistaken, or is it possible to obtain dealer service records for a bike that one may be considering buying? I seem to think I'd read that sometime, somewhere...

·
2015 R1200R Exclusive
7,248 Posts
My main concern is that the owner has been using 10w40 oil & also 15w50 for a short period, instead of the 5w40 the book suggests...
I don’t know what the implications might be, but that kind of thing makes me uneasy.

5W40 API SL / JASO MA2 is certainly the spec, and I don’t know why you would stray from it.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Me either, and yet i rang a couple of BMW dealers yesterday & one of them assured me that a 2015 WC R12R definitely uses 15w50. He said he got the info straight from the BMW manual then double checked with his head mechanic when i questioned it..Did my head in ! He said in Australian conditions BMW suggest 15w50 ? When i rang the 2nd dealer they suggested 5w40 ? Someone is correct i suppose...

·
2015 R1200R Exclusive
7,248 Posts
Well 15w50 would quieten the N->1 change I suppose … 😄

I read an interesting dissertation by one of the Vee Two guys on oil for the different Ducatis over the years and he provided detailed technical reasons for each (different bearing types and cylinder liner materials). But our temperatures here are not that extreme so I figure there’s no reason to stray from the handbook, which provides no optional viscosity for different climatic conditions, as some cars do.

·
Premium Member
659 Posts
I flat out wouldn't trust a dealer that insisted 15w50 is good for the LC R12! BMW specified 5w40 for a reason...I assume they wanted low viscosity oil flowing quickly through the engine...15 will not flow as well when cold. And being liquid cooled it, isn't going to get as hot as the previous oil/air cooled models, which needed the 15w50--the spec for my R9T for example.

Reactions: Panzermann

·
Registered
77 Posts
After all that, i just put a deposit on a demo 2021 RS...Subject to test ride !
Well that did not work out...I took the 2021 RS for a long test ride & did not like it very much at all...Severe wind blast off the screen was buffeting my head around at anything over 80kms an hour & although the bike handled well, it did not excite me & i did not feel engaged with it in the way i hoped i would...I then test rode a 2015 R1200R with 23,000kms on the clock & loved it, bit more agricultural in the gearbox but back to back it felt more responsive low in the rev range, tipped into corners with ease & just felt more alive, but this particular bike was not cared for in the way i would like...So it looks like i am back in the hunt for an R...

·
Registered
899 Posts
You realize the RS screen has two positions. The higher position is ideal for prolonged highway speeds. To be fair, I replaced the stock screen with a larger Givi screen.

·
Registered
227 Posts
When I pick up a new used bike I like to do all the routine service tasks - all fluids & lubricants, new spark plugs, check valve lash, etc. just so I know where to start 0.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts