BMW R1200R Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2011 BMW R1200R Metallic Red Apple
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been working on my 2011 R1200R for over a week, up on the center stand with front forks NOT locked. After finally getting the spark plugs I reinstalled and tried to start the bike. Instead it says the battery is drained.

I thought maybe I hadn't fully reattached the coils to the plugs and it was throwing off a warning. However, a friend told me that if the forks aren't locked the bike draws current and drains the battery. Is this true?

Anyway, I'm recharging and hopefully in the morning I'll be good.

Any thoughts?

·
Registered
2014 R1200R Dark White
131 Posts
I don't think that's the case. In the summer my bike is not on battery tender, and always starts up after non riding for a week or so if bad weather.
I don't think m/c batteries last that long

·
Registered
2011 BMW R1200R Metallic Red Apple
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
I've been working on my 2011 R1200R for over a week, up on the center stand with front forks NOT locked. After finally getting the spark plugs I reinstalled and tried to start the bike. Instead it says the battery is drained.

I thought maybe I hadn't fully reattached the coils to the plugs and it was throwing off a warning. However, a friend told me that if the forks aren't locked the bike draws current and drains the battery. Is this true?

Anyway, I'm recharging and hopefully in the morning I'll be good.

Any thoughts?
I’m a dope. I had the bike in gear for removing rear wheel and forgot to put it back in neutral. When it wouldn’t start I noticed the battery light and assumed the worst. Doh!

·
Dave in NE TN USA
1,506 Posts
Don't feel too bad, I pretty much did the same just yesterday. Riding my little Honda, had to stop on an incline for a train, left it in first and hit the kill switch so I wouldn't roll back - train passed, predictably forgot to unkill the kill switch, bike wouldn't start, sitting there thinking Hondas ALWAYS start what's wrong with this thing maybe electrics got wet in the rain gonna have to push start the damn thing, then thought to thumb off the kill switch and voilà started right up, go figure. As always the weakest link is the nut holding the handlebars.

Cheers! Dave

·
Mark – Moderator 2015 R1200R-LC Exclusive
2015 R1200R Exclusive
7,249 Posts
And forks locked or not makes no difference to current drain

1 - 5 of 5 Posts