BMW R1200R Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

Registered
2021 - R1250R - Sport - White
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all

Just made the move from a Multistrada 1200 to a R1250R, and slowly acclimatising to the changes.. both positive and negative.

Look forward to contributing to the forum and reading your posts.

Has anyone else moved from a Multi to the r1250r?

I'm British but live here in Hessen - Germany since 2013, where we have many many beautiful empty roads.

Greetings
Carl

Premium Member
Greetings and welcome to the forum. Are your beautiful roads affected by the speed restrictions and bans on motorbikes on some German roads?

Registered
I've ridden a couple of multis, but never owned. The two I rode were 2012-15 models. One with lots of mods, one pure stock. Didn't feel nearly as confident, but could see that the extra legroom would make a big difference for some people (5'10", 34" inseam here.) I like my R.

Registered
Only 2.5 hrs to the N眉rburgring - Jealous!

Registered
Greetings Carl,
Yes, I had a 2016 Multi that I never really bonded with.
Right from the start, my very first ride ended when the engine warning light came on and I pulled over, called the dealer and had them come pick it and me up from the side of the road.
Then there's the anemic response to the starter button, feels like the battery is about dead, but this is normal for the bike.
Constant problems with the keyless ignition.
Last straw, I was parked on the street in front of my house and started pulling into the yard when it stalled, fuel pouring out from a separated line from the tank.
That was it for me. I was very lucky to be in front of my house. Traded it for my R1250R. No regrets whatsoever.
That said, I really, really loved my 06 Sport 1000's. I had two of them, exactly the same bike. Put combined over 80,000 miles on them. Had to let the last one go due to advancing arthritis.

Tire Wheel Land vehicle Vehicle Fuel tank
Tire Wheel Fuel tank Plant Automotive fuel system

Registered
Hello all

Just made the move from a Multistrada 1200 to a R1250R, and slowly acclimatising to the changes.. both positive and negative.

Look forward to contributing to the forum and reading your posts.

Has anyone else moved from a Multi to the r1250r?

I'm British but live here in Hessen - Germany since 2013, where we have many many beautiful empty roads.

Greetings
Carl
I went from a 2002 R1200C to a MTS1100 in the middle 2000's. Was instant regret. In my opinion, you made a better segue.

Registered
I had a 2013 Multistrada 1200 that I put 20K miles on. The engine was amazing but it spent a lot of time in the shop with little niggles. Lost interest in it and traded it for a 2016 R1200GS and now on a 2020 R1250R. All are great bikes with the BMW inspiring more confidence that you won't be hanging around the shop waiting to get your bike on the road. That boxer engine too!

Registered
Welcome to the forum Carl 馃憤馃徎. Compared to the above posts how was your user experience in terms of reliability? And how many miles/years did you have the pleasure?

Registered
2020 R1250R in Pollux Metallic Matte
Ducati makes the bikes I constantly lust over -- the Streetfighter V4 being the latest -- but are likely among the last bikes I'd ever buy. I've heard/read far too many stories throughout the years of reliability issues...for me, no two-wheeled eye-candy is worth that kind of hassle and frustration. I know every brand has its reported issues and quirks and, yes, the squeaky wheel is always the loudest, but there certainly seems to be a particular pattern with Ducati that scares me off.

Registered
2017 R1200r LC sport.
Welcome to the forum Carl. (y) I haven't moved form a Ducati to a Beemer but I do have a Ducati Monster 1200s as well. Both bikes have had problems (sorted under warranty) and both are great to ride.

Registered
2021 - R1250R - Sport - White
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hi All

Thankyou for your friendly welcome, and comments and sharing.

No the roads here are free from restrictions and limits although last month they installed a excessive noise /sound detection unit on a road next to our lake Edersee. ( I will try to remember to stop and take a picture) so if your car or bike exceeds a certain limit, the display announces your vehicle is to loud, and yes my 2013 multi set it off every time I pass it. Lol.

I've had my multistrada for 3 years and did just under 20k km. It was for me almost perfect 95%. But she was unhappy going slowly ( see my reply to Aaron this morning) so this and a recent gear selector spring that broke made me stop and think. I love / loved my LaRosa but I decided it was time for a change and something different.

I've ridden and tested quite a few bikes recently, including the new V4 multistrada which I did not like...really not my thing and its lost its sporty nature and roots. Once the speed gets up it's so slow to change direction and the fueling is frankly horrible. Even the dealer admitted it is not good. The monster 1200R was nice... very nice but too close to my multi in character.

I accept that the tour to Norway in july is not going to be as comfortable as it would have been on the multi but I'm already enjoying something different about the r1250r. As mentioned to Aaron I've ordered a couple of seats from Wunderlich here in Germany, they have a 60 day return without question offer... so let's see if I can improve the seating.

Again thankyou all for friendly greetings and comments. I think I might enjoy it here more than I did on the multi forum. Smile..

Carl

Dave in NE TN
Thankyou for your friendly welcome, and comments and sharing . . . I think I might enjoy it here more than I did on the multi forum. Smile.
Carl
Welcome Carl.

Glad you are finding this forum useful and enjoyable, it is a welcoming place where info is shared freely and the rare snarky comment (guilty!) is always humorously intended and usually well received.

I know your Multistrada was a great bike, another riding buddy of mine switched from BMW to one a couple years ago, but they're both at least equally good just in different ways - different strokes.

Generally with Beemers additional seat time brings additional appreciation, so go get yourself some more seat time with your new friend! ;)

Cheers!
Dave

Registered
I had a 2009 1100S Ohlins/Arrow Multi and at some point a 2013 1200S Touring. I've generally kept two bikes and once I had the 2012 camhead R1200R, I ended up selling the 2009 even though, out of the box, the MTS was more comfortable, the R's superior tech dominated. The 2013 was a better multi for sure but still a bit flawed for me, lovely engine, great front brakes and good skyhook suspension however, transmission with false neutrals, lack of rear brake, choppy at low rpm (new multis may have fixed this) were my complaints. The low rpm was the biggest problem; combined with a heavy clutch pull, it made your hand tired and made you hate city traffic. The other thing is that valve inspections are easy/cheap on the R bikes compared to the desmo service.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts