BMW R1200R Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello.

I have a Sebring Phantom SlipOn on my r 1200, 07.

I was thinking of putting in a Dynojet Power Commander 3.

someone here who has good experience with it? Is it a waste of money *or will they give a significant increase in power?

·
Registered
359 Posts
I had PC3s on both my Ninja 636s. As far as power increase, I do not know how the fuel is metered on your bike (i.e. if it has MAF, Map, O2, etc.) I am new to BMWs, if it has a flat map like a sportbike then yes, you will notice a difference. If your bike is similar to my 2011 then it is a waste of money (unless you want the quick shifter, which is tempting) they are capable of re adjusting your fuel curve for the added airflow. Only thing I can really see needing a PC for on my bike other than the quick shift is if you wanted to run larger injectors for forced induction:eek:.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Has anyone tried the Wunderlich version of a "Power Commander"? It appears a lot easier to adjust without relying on computer mapping. I have a 2012 R1200R Classic and I am fine with power in all ranges, but a little frustrated with moderately rough idle after the bike warms up (cold idle is fine because of the enriched mixture) and with backfiring when there is back pressure at low speeds, e.g. quickly backing off in 1st or 2nd. Not looking for h.p., just smoother running under these conditions.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Doesn't the PC3 have to be pre-configured to the specific bike? Looking at their website I don't see any BMW's as options, unless there is some sort of custom configuration option through some software on a PC.

EDIT: Nevermind, I was looking at the EX option.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I noticed this thread has stagnated, has anyone had any experiences to share now? Either with the power commander 3, 5 or similar product? I'm just in early stage investigation, but I'm just curious at this point what could get the most performance (within budget) out of the boxer engine. I may not go anywhere with it, but the thought has intrigued me.

·
Registered
58 Posts
so looked at another forum for the R12R and found that most opinions are that there's nothing that can really be done to the R to significantly increase performance in the catagory of the engine anyway. Power Commander is fine, but not nessecarily a game changer. I could be wrong, any thoughts? I'm super happy with my baby, but the potential intrigues me.

·
Registered
171 Posts
A few notes.

I have an R1100RT with a Techlusion which I think is OK. It worked well with the stock ste up , but when I unhooked the o2 sensor things got much better.

Now I have an R1200R (2112) and it has 2 o2 sensors. It runs much better on its own with out any changes so far.

with the techlusion The bike would idle better for a minute then the o2 sensor and motronic would take over anyhow so Idle would be smooth and a little fast, then it would go to closed loop and back to stock until the throttle was blipped or moved.

SO with the old bike, fuel controller helped some. Remove the o2 sensor and it helped a lot more. I am not going to screw with the 1200 because it runs too well. Looking at my exhaust, its already black around the outlet. I am getting about 45 mpg. Power is there when ever I want it. These all tell me it has enough fuel right now. Lower spark plugs are dark, uppers are like new, so I switched them at 6,000 mile service.

I have read good things about booster plug which should add a little fuel at idle and under acceleration. Once in cruise mode, ti should have no effect.
I have not tried one of those.

David

·
Premium Member
335 Posts
Ninja Dave,:donatello:
MAX BMW Conn. will re-map your stock ECU for you.:clap:
MAX BMW Motorsport - ECU Tuning:001_tt1:
Clem is correct. I had Max re-map the ECU on my R12R Classic. Better throttle response, more torque and HP, but not significantly so. The bike runs smoother with only a minimal loss in the MPG area. It was a worthwhile but not inexpensive upgrade. Way better than a booster plug.

·
Premium Member
2,873 Posts
Nope. Not at all las. I have a nice frosting around both temples, myself.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Has anyone looked at full exhaust systems and not just the slip ons? These full systems eliminate the catylist and I would think require some type of fuel system enhancer ( power commander )

·
Premium Member
335 Posts
I'm in the process of doing that very thing. Will report back in a few days. I have a Classic and like the chrome but not the size/sound of the original can. A full system will provide a bit more power torque and sound, maybe still chrome but smaller. We'll see what's out there!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Just took delivery

Just got my 2013 R12R (Montego Blue), ordered the PC V and Remus Headers, they should be delivered next week sometime. I will try to post some pictures and comments about the performance difference. I have been told it should make a marked difference.

·
Registered
19 Posts
From my experiance with many other bikes, unless you do a proper dyno tuning (custom map) its not realy worth the expence.

For an example, I just did the whole process on my 06 SV1000. Starded with full M4 exhaust system, BMC filter and PCIII usb with a gineric map to match those parts. Bike ran fine ant it was an improvement but if one was just about getting the power (versus exhaust sound) realy wasnt worth $1600 of expence.

Before Xmas I decided to take it to the dyno tunner for a custom map (was the plan all along) and on the first run it showed 113.6 hp and 70ft lbs of torque. First he did the 100% throtle tune and (it was off everyehere) after 26 runs got it to 120.9hp and 75lbs of torque and a huge improvement from 3250rpm right to 10500rpm. It gained 3-5 lbs of torque across the whole rev range and about 3-8%hp gains.

After this he did the same for 80, 60,40, 20, 10 and finaly 5% throtle position adjustments. It is to long to get into detail of all of them but all I got to say that the clean up was segnificant in all areas.
Some less experianced with all this may think that these #rs are not all that great BUT the difference in actual seat of the pants is like night and day. From total perfection in the throtle responce to the power through out is like a whole diferent bike.

I've done pretty much all my bikes this way since my 1st fuel injected bike TL1000S (about 9 or 10 now) and all I can say is if you cant get a good dyno tune dont bother wasting your money. If you want to change the sound than just get the slipon. 99% of the time a slipon will work pretty good without creating any glitches. Most ECU's can compesate for about 6-8% i think but dont quate me on the exact amount as it may change from manufacturer to manufacturer.

One of the bikes I did not mess with was mine 07 R1200R mostely because I had two other sport bikes and I wanted to leave it stock for the quite relaxed ride. I'm sure that If I didnt sell it after just a year of ownership (mistake) that I would have eventualy.

Now I'm in process of making a decision on a leftover 12 or a brand new Aneversary limited addition. Love the looks of it but realisticaly not sure its worth the 2k diff in price for gold colored bits and a badge.

When I get it and after summers riding I will decide if I will do the same on it as on the SV. Posibly only if I can get a reasonably quite exhaust system.
I got the SV for snarly hulaganism and track time and I'm gettn the R1200R for refinement, eligance, qiuteness and spiritual conection to the zen of one, bike and nature, the reason I started riding motorcycles 34 yrs ago in the 1st place. For me this is the only modern bike that can bring this..
Wow did I just say all that :001_rolleyes:

Anyways hope some of this helps with the PC5 usb(one for this bike) and tuning.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts