BMW R1200R Forum banner

Earplugs get a testing

14K views 45 replies 21 participants last post by  doc dogg 
#1 ·
I wasn't sure where to put this thread but thought I would share my recent revelation about wearing earplugs.

I got some custom earplugs made at a bke show a few years ago. I found the foam ones kept falling out. I have only tended to wear them for riding longer than about 30 mins, and always wondered if they were much use, as you still get some wind noise. Due to too many rock concerts in my dim and distant pass I have some hearing loss in one ear, hence the reason for buying the earplugs so as not to make it worse by riding.

My daughter is a professional singer and one of her jobs is playing in a function band (weddings etc). Last year their band did a Xmas charity gig in a pub (so we got a rare chance to watch them), and the music was so loud my ears were still ringing the next day. Last week they did another Xmas charity gig, and this time I took the earplugs.

I could hear the music fine with them in, and at the end of the gig had no ringing in my ears. My wife on the other hand and my other daughter still had ringing in her ears the next day. So now I am a convert. I know wind noise and live rock music are at different frequencies but I was really suprised at how effective they were. So I wil be riding all the time from now on with earplugs in

See less See more
#2 ·
Dink99,
What type of earplugs are they? I just got fitted for custom earplugs and they are actually musician earplugs. There are three DB filters. I am going to try the 15 DB filter first, which is the middle level.

I am still waiting for them to come in, but I hope I am as pleased as you are with yours.

Todd

#3 ·
Hi Todd

I didn't go for the ones with filters in, and mine came from a company called Ultimate Ear. My musician daughter got her moulds from a High Street Opticians who also does hearing tests etc (SpecSavers?) then had 'In Ear' monitors fitted to stop her getting ear damage but being able to hear instruments and her own voice at a reasonable level so I suppose that should have told me they work. Good luck with your's I think they are money well spent.

#4 ·
Custom ear plugs definitely have an application if your ear canal shape demands them. Otherwise, attenuation rates ought to be the key selection criteria. Lots of good information at Earplug - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia. Many of the most effective ear plugs are also the most reasonably priced.

#5 ·
A couple years back I had a custom set made at the IMS show in San Mateo. Cost was @ $50 and they are well worth it!

I lost the hearing in my right ear as a child from measels, nerve damage.

So with that in mind, ear plugs were manditory and I find that I can hear well enough with them in and avoid damage to my remaining ear.

I have hope that one day nerve repair will be a reality, so I wear plugs in both ears.

#8 ·
Hello to All,
Very interesting topic. I had given little thought to the potential damage of wind noise until I read something recently ( the ears are still o/k, just the mind is shot). So with some industrial ( yellow foamish) plugs I set out.
Wind noise almost eliminated, more recognition of the engine noise ( which I hadn`t noticed previously), generally a very pleasant experience.
I felt pleasantly isolated from the world and totally concentrated on my ride.
Talking was a concern as I am certain I was speaking unconsciously quite loud.
I am a happy convert to the little yellow foam plugs.
Xmas wishes to All and safe riding.
Regards
John

#9 ·
We buy a bulk lot of ear plugs in a box. I grab a fist full and distribute them though out riding jackets, tank bags tail bags...just so some clean ones are on hand. I can even offer them to fellow riders who have not tried them or have forgotten theirs.

#10 ·
IMO anybody who doesn't wear earplugs while riding for more than a few minutes is crazy and absolutely courting permanent hearing damage. I just use the yellow EAR ones with a 29 or better noise reduction rating, buy a box of a few hundred every couple of years at the local safety supply store and always have a handful in the tank bag and a few in a pocket of every jacket. I know people who have the custom ones and love them, but these have been good for me.

#11 ·
Larry, :iagree: For the life of me, I cannot empathize with anyone who doesn't wear ear protection. For those who are concerned about hearing voices, music, sirens, etc...the human ear and psyche adapts to ear plugs. In a past life I ran a very noisy operation where hundreds of employees had to wear ear plugs. When it came time for lunch, or company meetings or similar, many employees left their ear plugs in...and functioned just fine. I also agree that unless you have ear canal shape issues, EAR or Howard Leight plugs provide the best protection at the least cost. If bought in bulk, Howard Leight plugs can be purchased for less than 10 cents per pair...and they provide better protection than almost all custom fits, "motorcycle" plugs, and other silicone plugs.

#15 ·
Good to know that a lot of people find them useful. The key thing for me was when I removed the plugs when people yelled over the sound of the band when trying to talk to me the sound hurt my ears. I am sure foam earplugs do an excellent good job, but for me and my Vulcan ears I couldn't keep them in no matter how I tried.

I started with the cheaper, harder ear plugs and they were a bit uncomfortable after a while, the subsequent softer ones I purchased later were more comfortable.

I have never played music (another big passion) in earphones while riding, I have always wanted to, but wonder if my concentration would slip and would I end up replacing wind noise with loud music (to drown out the wind) and damage my ears even more. Maybe another topic for discussion

#17 ·
Skull Screws. Far quieter then even the Leights. They also have a variation that can be used on earphones.

#18 ·
drDave....the Hearos Skull Screws offer 30 db NRR at just under $7 per pair. The 3M/Peltor brand of Skull Screws offer 30 db NRR at about 39 cents per pair (if purchased in bulk). The Howard Leight Max-1's offer 33 NRR...for about 16 cents per pair when purchased in bulk. The H. Leight LPF-1's offer 30 db NRR at about a dime per pair. Ear canal shape (comfort) is important...but like dog food trials...when lots of folks are given the choices of all of the above and more, most end up selecting the green Leights. Just my observations based upon buying lots of hearing protection devices over decades.

#19 ·
Birkenfelder, Have you tried both? I have. Theoretically the Leights have more sound attenuation, but the Skull Screws have a db profile that dampens traffic noises more. I've tried both, and hands down, the Skull Screws make you feel like you are riding in a Lexus; the sound is there, but it's soothing and far away. The Leights aren't bad. . .but the Skull Screws are aaahhhh.

#20 ·
Websterize--thanks for posting the video. I saw it last summer and now that I know how to insert the plugs, riding has become much more fun now that the wind noise is gone.

Buying the E-A-R plugs in the bulk and changing them often works great for me. If I do not change them everyday they lose their ability to expand properly. They look and feel great, but the wind noise comes back after I take them out and put them back in several times.

#21 ·
Just resurrecting this thread to add my bit :)

I'm also an earplug convert for all but the shortest of rides. I tried a whole variety of foam plugs and whilst most worked well at keeping the noise down, they were uncomfortable after long rides. One brand even caused the skin in my ear canal to start peeling from a bad reaction.

A riding buddy gave me a pair plugs he was using that are like a stiff playdo. They came from here and look like this

They appear to be made of beeswax, cotton and magic. You squish them between your fingers and then make a cone which you put in your ear and spread it out in your acoustic meatus (the bit just outside of the ear canal). Because they are squishy, they don't put pressure on any part of your canal. Plus they can be molded to provide more or less noise dampening. So when I am riding around town, I'll make them shallower to give me better road awareness. When I'm riding along the countryside, I'll make them deeper to reduce more wind noise.

They are super comfortable and don't irritate my ear canals at all. Once my body heats them up and they flex away from pressure points I can barely feel them in my ears. Once they look a bit gross I chuck them for a new bit (One blue chunk is enough for 2 ears).

They are a good option for sensitive ears or people who find foamies too uncomfortable for long distances.

#22 ·
Doc, I agree that the Mighty Plugs are a good option for those who find foamies uncomfortable. Ear plugs are rather personal decisions.

As stated in earlier comments, I used to run an extremely noisy company (sawmill / 400+ employees) and would buy (mandatory) hearing protection of any type for any employee. I always bought in large quantities, thus allowing many employees to sample many ear protection selections over extended periods of time.

While some employees ultimately selected this type of malleable/wax type of plug, most ultimately selected conventional foam, with the Howard Leight LPF-1 being the top foam choice. Many rejected the malleable/wax plugs, and almost all rejected them after extended use as these wax plugs become can quite soft and even sticky. There was, however; a small core group that loved them. I found them comfortable and effective from an attenuation standpoint, but surely not cost effective. A quick visit to Amazon to check Mighty Plug user ratings and reviews may be worthwhile.

My ears ring as I write this....bottom line...use ear plugs at all costs. Every time I pass an HD rider with peanut shell helmet with open ears (or no helmet :dizzy:) and no ear protection, I envision that person in a more geriatric state looking at another with squinting eyes, exclaiming "Eh? Speak Up!"

#23 ·
Ear plugs are rather personal decisions.
Ain't that the truth! They are right up there with oil and tyre choices :)

Many rejected the malleable/wax plugs, and almost all rejected them after extended use as these wax plugs become can quite soft and even sticky.
Yes, despite the manufacturers claims these are suitable for all uses they aren't really suitable for daily use over long periods of time. I've got a set of good ear muffs for workshop duties and some cheaper clip on foamies for yard work. "The right tool for the job" as my dad would say.

There was, however; a small core group that loved them. I found them comfortable and effective from an attenuation standpoint, but surely not cost effective. A quick visit to Amazon to check Mighty Plug user ratings and reviews may be worthwhile.
You aren't wrong about the cost effective bit. For a weekend rider like myself they get me to the nearest bakery for a cake a large number of times before it is time to chuck them out :) In the grand scheme of things $30 for enough of those comfortable suckers to last me 6+ years is money well spent.

The Amazon reviews seem to have a lot more negative comments than when I bought mine a few years ago. Looks like some people react badly to them or run a bit too hot in the ears and make them go smooshy. A number of the comments seem to indicate the purchaser thought they would block 100% of the sound they wanted to block out, I'm not sure that is possible with a passive in-ear plug (nor would you want this riding). I do know that if you leave them on your black helmet on a 30°c day they will melt into little blue puddles within 10 minutes :D

Ear plugs are rather personal decisions.
Quoted again for truth ;)

#24 ·
I have tried almost every non-custom earplug out there. Far and away the most sound isolating are Skull Screws. They are foam with a semi-rigid core and you can also get them as modified earphone plugs. The difference between these and others is the difference between OK and Serene. Leights are a second choice. Pretty good but not serene.

#25 ·
I learned a very good lesson about my custom ear-plugs when on a ~4400km circuit about a year ago.

I will admit to having perhaps been a bit lazy at times, and didn’t always bother to take them out when stopping briefly to refuel, etc. This meant consecutive long days of up to eight (8) or more hours on the bike with ‘plugs in.

End result was a very severe inner ear infection that started off feeling quite painless, as if the inside of my ear was swollen and/ or blocked with wax or whatever – but it quickly progressed to quite severe discomfort and then considerable persistent pain.

Fortunately I was near home by this time, but it took quite some time and prescribed medication from my GP to resolve it.

I also suspect that maybe I was a bit less than meticulous in keeping the plugs clean: now I carefully wash them with an antibacterial soap and dry them thoroughly after each day’s ride, and I ensure that I take them out even at the briefest stop on the ride.

Lesson learned!

Lawrence of Suburbia (‘39 model)

R1200 R Classic (‘13 model) – ABS, ASC, ESA, ss oil-cooler guard, Grip Puppies, FIAMM two-tone audible warning device, Komfortsitz, PUIG screen, Wunderlich Xtreme hugger. Decals by Erin. Coming: Abdeckring. Now at 8817 km.

#26 ·
Lesson learned!

LofS...thanks to your previous post of several months ago, I now dutifully toss any disposable ear protection if in doubt as to cleanliness and/or efficacy. I think of you each time I toss a pair into the trash bin! Thanks for the reminder!

#27 ·
...I think of you each time I toss a pair into the trash bin!
This is just 'tween thee and me, Birkenfelder, and please don't tell anyone else here - but I have new job as Global Sales Manager at a company which makes disposable ear-plugs. Sales are through the roof!

L of S :)

#29 ·
Hi to All,
Recently purchased a sample packet of Howard Leigh (green) ear plugs. Very happy with the noise reduction compared to the off the shelf hardware items.
If I have a complaint it would be in regard to the plugs ability to very quickly return to the original expanded shape after squeezing the little devils and trying to insert into the ear cavity.
Thank you to the Forum, I had never been made aware of the ear plugs, thinking the full face helmet was as good as it gets.
Regards
John

#30 ·
Ear plugs are a definite yes

After spending about 35,000kms on my Harley Davidson, listening to the sweet note from the V&H pipes (and wind noise too undoubtedly). Wind noise became so much more evident on a quieter bike. I tried the disposable ones from my workplace, but found that they made my ears ache after a while. I then tried some low pressure disposable class 4 ones by Prosafe. Just awesome, I don't ride without them now (except when I forget to put them in before putting helmet and gloves on), for me its like riding along in a Limousine, they add to the comfort level too I feel. I have no issues with conversation or traffic sounds/staying aware.

Sssshhhhishka

#31 ·
After spending about 35,000kms on my Harley Davidson, listening to the sweet note from the V&H pipes (and wind noise too undoubtedly). Wind noise became so much more evident on a quieter bike. I tried the disposable ones from my workplace, but found that they made my ears ache after a while. I then tried some low pressure disposable class 4 ones by Prosafe. Just awesome, I don't ride without them now (except when I forget to put them in before putting helmet and gloves on), for me its like riding along in a Limousine, they add to the comfort level too I feel. I have no issues with conversation or traffic sounds/staying aware.

Sssshhhhishka
Well, I've got severe tinnitus. That's the medical term for high-pitched hissing/ringing in both ears. And it's getting worse, i.e. louder. Sometimes I unconsciously block it out, but sometimes I just can't. How much can I blame it on 5-6 years of riding as a young bloke without any ear protection? I don't know. But I suspect a lot. What I do know is that there is no cure, and the tinnitus will be following me into the grave.

So fellers, those of you who don't use ear protection because, hey, your hearing is fine, do yourself a real favour - mine was fine too once.

I've been using the Howard Leigh's since getting back into riding eight months ago. A pair are good for 3-4 rides, then they can't hold up their compression (squishing) long enough - a quick few seconds - to get them into my ear canals before they expand. Admittedly, they do start to get a bit uncomfortable on 3-4 hour-plus rides. I bought a big bag of them, so once they're done, I might try those Skull Screws.

But whatever I do, I'll be wearing some type of hearing protection. I need to protect as much as I can what I've still got left.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.