BMW R1200R Forum banner
21 - 40 of 46 Posts
Just resurrecting this thread to add my bit :)

I'm also an earplug convert for all but the shortest of rides. I tried a whole variety of foam plugs and whilst most worked well at keeping the noise down, they were uncomfortable after long rides. One brand even caused the skin in my ear canal to start peeling from a bad reaction.

A riding buddy gave me a pair plugs he was using that are like a stiff playdo. They came from here and look like this

They appear to be made of beeswax, cotton and magic. You squish them between your fingers and then make a cone which you put in your ear and spread it out in your acoustic meatus (the bit just outside of the ear canal). Because they are squishy, they don't put pressure on any part of your canal. Plus they can be molded to provide more or less noise dampening. So when I am riding around town, I'll make them shallower to give me better road awareness. When I'm riding along the countryside, I'll make them deeper to reduce more wind noise.

They are super comfortable and don't irritate my ear canals at all. Once my body heats them up and they flex away from pressure points I can barely feel them in my ears. Once they look a bit gross I chuck them for a new bit (One blue chunk is enough for 2 ears).

They are a good option for sensitive ears or people who find foamies too uncomfortable for long distances.

Doc, I agree that the Mighty Plugs are a good option for those who find foamies uncomfortable. Ear plugs are rather personal decisions.

As stated in earlier comments, I used to run an extremely noisy company (sawmill / 400+ employees) and would buy (mandatory) hearing protection of any type for any employee. I always bought in large quantities, thus allowing many employees to sample many ear protection selections over extended periods of time.

While some employees ultimately selected this type of malleable/wax type of plug, most ultimately selected conventional foam, with the Howard Leight LPF-1 being the top foam choice. Many rejected the malleable/wax plugs, and almost all rejected them after extended use as these wax plugs become can quite soft and even sticky. There was, however; a small core group that loved them. I found them comfortable and effective from an attenuation standpoint, but surely not cost effective. A quick visit to Amazon to check Mighty Plug user ratings and reviews may be worthwhile.

My ears ring as I write this....bottom line...use ear plugs at all costs. Every time I pass an HD rider with peanut shell helmet with open ears (or no helmet :dizzy:) and no ear protection, I envision that person in a more geriatric state looking at another with squinting eyes, exclaiming "Eh? Speak Up!"

Ear plugs are rather personal decisions.
Ain't that the truth! They are right up there with oil and tyre choices :)

Many rejected the malleable/wax plugs, and almost all rejected them after extended use as these wax plugs become can quite soft and even sticky.
Yes, despite the manufacturers claims these are suitable for all uses they aren't really suitable for daily use over long periods of time. I've got a set of good ear muffs for workshop duties and some cheaper clip on foamies for yard work. "The right tool for the job" as my dad would say.

There was, however; a small core group that loved them. I found them comfortable and effective from an attenuation standpoint, but surely not cost effective. A quick visit to Amazon to check Mighty Plug user ratings and reviews may be worthwhile.
You aren't wrong about the cost effective bit. For a weekend rider like myself they get me to the nearest bakery for a cake a large number of times before it is time to chuck them out :) In the grand scheme of things $30 for enough of those comfortable suckers to last me 6+ years is money well spent.

The Amazon reviews seem to have a lot more negative comments than when I bought mine a few years ago. Looks like some people react badly to them or run a bit too hot in the ears and make them go smooshy. A number of the comments seem to indicate the purchaser thought they would block 100% of the sound they wanted to block out, I'm not sure that is possible with a passive in-ear plug (nor would you want this riding). I do know that if you leave them on your black helmet on a 30°c day they will melt into little blue puddles within 10 minutes :D

Ear plugs are rather personal decisions.
Quoted again for truth ;)

I have tried almost every non-custom earplug out there. Far and away the most sound isolating are Skull Screws. They are foam with a semi-rigid core and you can also get them as modified earphone plugs. The difference between these and others is the difference between OK and Serene. Leights are a second choice. Pretty good but not serene.

I learned a very good lesson about my custom ear-plugs when on a ~4400km circuit about a year ago.

I will admit to having perhaps been a bit lazy at times, and didn’t always bother to take them out when stopping briefly to refuel, etc. This meant consecutive long days of up to eight (8) or more hours on the bike with ‘plugs in.

End result was a very severe inner ear infection that started off feeling quite painless, as if the inside of my ear was swollen and/ or blocked with wax or whatever – but it quickly progressed to quite severe discomfort and then considerable persistent pain.

Fortunately I was near home by this time, but it took quite some time and prescribed medication from my GP to resolve it.

I also suspect that maybe I was a bit less than meticulous in keeping the plugs clean: now I carefully wash them with an antibacterial soap and dry them thoroughly after each day’s ride, and I ensure that I take them out even at the briefest stop on the ride.

Lesson learned!

Lawrence of Suburbia (‘39 model)

R1200 R Classic (‘13 model) – ABS, ASC, ESA, ss oil-cooler guard, Grip Puppies, FIAMM two-tone audible warning device, Komfortsitz, PUIG screen, Wunderlich Xtreme hugger. Decals by Erin. Coming: Abdeckring. Now at 8817 km.

Lesson learned!

LofS...thanks to your previous post of several months ago, I now dutifully toss any disposable ear protection if in doubt as to cleanliness and/or efficacy. I think of you each time I toss a pair into the trash bin! Thanks for the reminder!

...I think of you each time I toss a pair into the trash bin!
This is just 'tween thee and me, Birkenfelder, and please don't tell anyone else here - but I have new job as Global Sales Manager at a company which makes disposable ear-plugs. Sales are through the roof!

L of S :)

...but I have new job as Global Sales Manager at a company which makes disposable ear-plugs. Sales are through the roof! :)
If not for fear of insider trading allegations, I'd ask of that mysterious company. Of course, you would have to worry about being a market maker. :001_unsure:

Hi to All,
Recently purchased a sample packet of Howard Leigh (green) ear plugs. Very happy with the noise reduction compared to the off the shelf hardware items.
If I have a complaint it would be in regard to the plugs ability to very quickly return to the original expanded shape after squeezing the little devils and trying to insert into the ear cavity.
Thank you to the Forum, I had never been made aware of the ear plugs, thinking the full face helmet was as good as it gets.
Regards
John

Ear plugs are a definite yes

After spending about 35,000kms on my Harley Davidson, listening to the sweet note from the V&H pipes (and wind noise too undoubtedly). Wind noise became so much more evident on a quieter bike. I tried the disposable ones from my workplace, but found that they made my ears ache after a while. I then tried some low pressure disposable class 4 ones by Prosafe. Just awesome, I don't ride without them now (except when I forget to put them in before putting helmet and gloves on), for me its like riding along in a Limousine, they add to the comfort level too I feel. I have no issues with conversation or traffic sounds/staying aware.

Sssshhhhishka

After spending about 35,000kms on my Harley Davidson, listening to the sweet note from the V&H pipes (and wind noise too undoubtedly). Wind noise became so much more evident on a quieter bike. I tried the disposable ones from my workplace, but found that they made my ears ache after a while. I then tried some low pressure disposable class 4 ones by Prosafe. Just awesome, I don't ride without them now (except when I forget to put them in before putting helmet and gloves on), for me its like riding along in a Limousine, they add to the comfort level too I feel. I have no issues with conversation or traffic sounds/staying aware.

Sssshhhhishka
Well, I've got severe tinnitus. That's the medical term for high-pitched hissing/ringing in both ears. And it's getting worse, i.e. louder. Sometimes I unconsciously block it out, but sometimes I just can't. How much can I blame it on 5-6 years of riding as a young bloke without any ear protection? I don't know. But I suspect a lot. What I do know is that there is no cure, and the tinnitus will be following me into the grave.

So fellers, those of you who don't use ear protection because, hey, your hearing is fine, do yourself a real favour - mine was fine too once.

I've been using the Howard Leigh's since getting back into riding eight months ago. A pair are good for 3-4 rides, then they can't hold up their compression (squishing) long enough - a quick few seconds - to get them into my ear canals before they expand. Admittedly, they do start to get a bit uncomfortable on 3-4 hour-plus rides. I bought a big bag of them, so once they're done, I might try those Skull Screws.

But whatever I do, I'll be wearing some type of hearing protection. I need to protect as much as I can what I've still got left.

Another heavy tinnitus sufferer. My bottom line for ear plugs is to go with the highest Noise Reduction Rating that fit comfortably.

Howard Leight makes perhaps the finest and best-known line of disposables:
Howard Leight | Disposable Ear Plugs

Working my way through a Howard Leight sample pack, finding the Max and similar ones best so far.
Tasco-safety.com - Hearing Protection ~ Earplug Sample Packs

Tried the Skull Screws but they weren't comfortable and didn't attenuate the noise enough - for me.

Have had custom Big Ear plugs for several years, very comfortable but do not attenuate the noise enough on the R12R.

Ear plugs are definitely a personal preference. Go with the quietest ones that fit comfortably. Insert them properly, take them out when you stop, and clean or replace them as necessary.

Hearing loss and tinnitus suck and are largely preventable.

I've worn Howard Leight MAX earplugs for decades, with no ear problems - including when I wore them both at night and during multi-week bike trips. Recently, I bought a box of Moldex Pura-Fit and have been wearing those instead; they feel and work about the same, although they're a slightly different shape and bright green rather than the MAX's bright orange.

Earplug fit and preference is individual. I had throat cancer in 2007. Interestingly, that changed the geometry of my right-side ear canal, so that it's a little harder now to get a seal on the right side. For me, the outer end of the right earplug has to be firmly seated in the pinna. Sometimes, I can't get my fingers around the end of the right-side plug to pull it out; I carry a small tweezer in my riding jacket pocket, and have to use it maybe once every month or two.

I'm tempted by the Skull Screws, but one Amazon reviewer pointed out that the semi-rigid center's good part, that the user can easily grab the end of the plug to withdraw it, is counterbalanced by a bad part: the semi-rigid center sticks out a bit from the ear canal, and interfered with that reviewer's motorcycle helmet fit.

I'm tempted by the Skull Screws, but one Amazon reviewer pointed out that the semi-rigid center's good part, that the user can easily grab the end of the plug to withdraw it, is counterbalanced by a bad part: the semi-rigid center sticks out a bit from the ear canal, and interfered with that reviewer's motorcycle helmet fit.
Worth a try, I think, as the fit depends on your ear canal or maybe your helmet. Skull Screws are my top favorite earplug. For me, they work better than Leights or Moldex or anything else I've tried. They change my ride to Serene and they don't hit the sides of my helmet.

Reactions: Shishka
I get the impression you all do not have wind protection for your helmet/head area , or else you would not need ear plugs .
Is that right ??

LEO
Hi LEO,

Not sure what you are using for wind protection, but nothing that I've tried has worked as well as earplugs. I currently wear one of two full-faced helmets, and neither prevent potentially damaging wind noise, although the Arai RX7 is a little better at it. Still, I wear ear plugs almost always, and every time I've been in a hurry or have suffered from some other ADD and forgot to put them in, the pleasure is about gone from the ride. I've stopped at a drug store on two occasions that I can remember and purchased more and now try to keep them everywhere, just in case.

So, what are you using then? I've never ridden with a Schubert, which I understand is about the quietest helmet, but I'd like to one day. Maybe that's what you have?

Bob

Hi bob,

Maybe our friend Leo, rides around wearing one of these :clap:

Shishka

Attachments

...I've never ridden with a Schubert, which I understand is about the quietest helmet...
I have a Schuberth C3 modular (flip face) helmet, and it's a reasonably quiet helmet. However, the R12R is a blast machine, even with a Wunderlich Trophy fairing, and ear plugs are essential. I agree with others who said that a ride w/o earplugs is not enjoyable.

Custom fit earplugs--$10.00--you will never go back

Go to Ebay and enter this search:

(motorcycle,custom,mouldable,molded) ear (plugs,plug)

All sorts of custom kits for more or less $10.00 that end-up looking like:

Forty years of riding and no ear plug works better or more consistently.

One tip if you opt to do this, do not be bashful when pushing the molded material into the ear--you can always trim off a little afterwards if it extends too far into your ear.

My helmet, Shoei multitec, is about as loud as riding in a top down convertible. Way too loud for any but the shortest rides, I'm talking moving the bike in a parking lot.

FYI, MOLDEX makes a very similar (same??) product to the Howard Leigh's with the same specs. These are the ones typically used for MRI sound deadening for patients. I am pretty sure I've seen them at drug stores sold in packs. They reduce sound by 33dB, same as the HLs. With some very basic hygiene, soap and water, rubbing alcohol, they can be used multiple multiple multiple times without any issue health-wise or loss of function. I even put a little chap-stik, or similar-a little petroleum jelly works well too-- on them to keep them supple.
For those using earbuds for music, I recently discovered ComplyFoam.com, a company that makes similar foam tips for earbuds from major manufacturers, including apple. They do not remove important road noise, but diminish it to comfortable non dangerous levels. Some are uncomfortable with that and want to "hear" every pebble under the mattress. Personally, I think that's somewhat akin "safety" arguments for not wearing a seatbelt or going helmet-less.

I am currently using the meelec sport-fi 6 and for those it's the T200 series. Cheap effective hearing protection.

John

21 - 40 of 46 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.