BMW R1200R Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With the RS there is a small piece of colour-coded fairing below the cylinder heads. I understand this prevents fitting of some engine crash bars. I would like to know if owners have removed this little fairing or modified it to allow the bars to fit, thanks? This seems feasible.

Also, I assume the R and RS are ‘generally identical‘ in their layout around the engine/gearbox area. Would that be correct thanks? Crash bars for R and RS will be identical?

Thank you. S

· Registered
789 Posts
The small engine spoilers should be easy to remove if you want crash bars.
They're the same on the R and RS.
For parking lot tip overs most of us use head covers instead of crash bars.
The two most popular covers are BMW and Machine Art Moto.
Both my wife and I started with the BMW head guards but my wife was catching her pant leg on the back of the guard and switched to Machine Art Moto.
Here's the BMW head cover. One nice thing with the BMW cover is the little black piece is cheap to replace after a tip over.

Tire Wheel Fuel tank Vehicle Automotive tire

This shows the cover after someone backed into my wife's bike and knocked it over.
Bumper Composite material Wood Automotive exterior Auto part

Here's pictures of the Machine Art Moto covers.
Fuel tank Vehicle Automotive tire Automotive lighting Motorcycle

Automotive lighting Automotive tire Hood Bumper Automotive design

· Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you Lee for taking time for photos and advice.
They are very helpful.

I think my RS may have similar black head covers from sales photo I have seen. All new to me. I will post some photos when the RS arrives. Thanks again.

· Registered
88 Posts
  • Helpful
Reactions: Selby and dbyker

· Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you Blitzer, the blue bars look great with the blue frame.
Thanks too JanK for the SW Motech information. That is good to know. The Hepco Becker bars are indicated as not fitting where the spoiler is fitted, but maybe they will.
I will further investigate.

Thank you, S

· Registered
2017 BMW R1200R Sport
16 Posts
Thank you Blitzer, the blue bars look great with the blue frame.
Thanks too JanK for the SW Motech information. That is good to know. The Hepco Becker bars are indicated as not fitting where the spoiler is fitted, but maybe they will.
I will further investigate.

Thank you, S
No worries, they are available in other colours as well to match the various frame colours of our bikes

· Registered
368 Posts
I'm not home so can't send a picture - I could next Tuesday.

I took off the stainless steel 'engine fairing' on my '22 1250RS to put on Wunderlich cash bars, which are very unobtrusive (as such things go) and definitely offer excellent protection. I've bought the smaller fairing pieces, which work fine with the crash bars. IMHO I think they look better than the - to my mind- slightly overly flashy - stainless items anyway.

· Registered
368 Posts
In tthe interests of full disclosure, I don't know whether I would have put the crash bars on the RS if I hadn't just pulled them off the R1250R Yes, they take off a few degrees of max lean angle, but if that's what you are chasing, you're on the wrong bike - this is a touring bike with sporting pretensions and I'm happy to have extra protection. At some point, I'll drop the bike most likley at a standstill, and it will cost nothing.

I also like the cylinder head covers/guards from Wunderlich (MUCH better than any of the others on the market*), and I might have used them instead but there's absolutely zero no doubt that the crash bars give better protection and provide a mounting place for extra lights etc.

[*I'm a very strong believer in the German TuV standards - to the best of my knowledge, the only ones which pass are Wunderlich and BMW OEM for the R1250 non-GS models.]

One of these pics shows the Wunderlich "chest" guard thing. Quite why BMW decided the paint the front of the engfine black, and then equip it with a short fender...

Wheel Tire Automotive lighting Vehicle Automotive tire

Automotive tire Automotive design Motor vehicle Shelf Vehicle

Wheel Tire Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive design

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive design Fender Tread

· Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks Jack for the photos and info. My current and previous two bikes have been 12/1300 Sport Tourers. I am a sport touring rider, that’s all I do on two wheels. I purchased an RS (supposed to arrive next week - here’s hoping). as I was looking for a lighter, more nimble bike for the ST role (no pillion).

I fitted bars to all of the S-T’s and they saved fairing/pannier damage on each during a static fall (or near static). Opted to do the same for the RS.

I have ordered a few bits in advance for the RS including SW-Motech bars and light mounts. Adds to the fun :)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts