BMW R1200R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2016 R1200R and would like to protect the cylinder heads from meeting the ground. I was considering the Puig bars, but one review said they bent back when the bike was dropped at low speed. Anyone have any suggestions?

·
Registered
45 Posts
I installed the same set from Machineartmoto. I don't think the wrap around bars style would look good on the R bike. Theses look good on the bike. Easy to install. They seem pretty solid. But, as of now, they haven't been crash tested.

·
Premium Member
2,525 Posts
I've conducted a couple of real-world tests/offs and a tip-over and can highly recommend them. If I was to install bars, I would install the Winderlich sports bars.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
10 Posts
Have the very bars that Mike mentions fitted. Just in case you are not aware they come colour coded (red or blue). Not planning to drop my bike but reassuring to know that you have that safety net.

·
Premium Member
561 Posts
The Machineart Motos are arfingdog certified up to 35 mph. I don't plan to explore their upper limit, and in fact, I hope not to be conducting any further tests at any speed :)

Reactions: SteveJH

·
Premium Member
2,525 Posts
Have the very bars that Mike mentions fitted. Just in case you are not aware they come colour coded (red or blue). Not planning to drop my bike but reassuring to know that you have that safety net.

Yes, I know there are available different colours. From what I can via website photo they look the business. I like minimalist styling and build quality. Never seen on in the flesh tho’ - if you get a moment please post a picture. Anyway - good choice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
559 Posts
I went with SW Motech. It had good reviews. I don’t know how much “protection” any engine guard would give in a bad crash. They seem designed to handle low sides and tip overs. High side and all bets are off.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I've conducted a couple of real-world tests/offs and a tip-over and can highly recommend them. If I was to install bars, I would install the Winderlich sports bars.
Sorry to hear of your falls. Can I ask what else, if any thing, was damaged on the bike and what else would you say needs protecting?
Thanks

·
Super Moderator
5,128 Posts
I've tested my LC in this respect, @Nitonman. At the time, I had no rear drive protection and that nearly doubled the insurer's repair bill; a small scuff meant it had to be replaced, and around A$3000 plus fitting.

I subsequently fitted a Wunderlich crash knob to the pivot, but forgot to add to my maintenance schedule checking the tightness of the expanding clamp-bolt that secured it. Just like plants tell you they need watering when they're dead, this one told me it needed tightening by its sudden absence. (I'm normally a far better mechanic than gardener …)

I have my eye on an Evotech replacement (I find their radiator guard is well made and stylish) but it's presently out of stock in Australia.

·
Premium Member
3,992 Posts
I subsequently fitted a Wunderlich crash knob to the pivot, but forgot to add to my maintenance schedule checking the tightness of the expanding clamp-bolt that secured it. Just like plants tell you they need watering when they're dead, this one told me it needed tightening by its sudden absence.
:frown2: I learn't that lesson too....lost the Wunderlich crash knob on the pivot.....with my evil eye I saw it in my rear view mirror bounce into the side of the road in the long grass. Looked for it but never found it, never replaced it either.

Reactions: Panzermann

·
Premium Member
2,525 Posts
Sorry to hear of your falls. Can I ask what else, if any thing, was damaged on the bike and what else would you say needs protecting?
Thanks
Apart from the cylinder head protection there's not much required. Of course, you can always do more. However, on my last off these handguards protected the clutch level from damage without them I doubt I would have been able to ride home after the accident.

https://machineartmoto.com/

·
Super Moderator
5,128 Posts
Apart from the cylinder head protection there's not much required. Of course, you can always do more. However, on my last off these handguards protected the clutch level from damage without them I doubt I would have been able to ride home after the accident.
That’s what Shift Assist is for - once going, just don’t stop ...

Reactions: mikeS

·
Registered
11 Posts
Thanks guys, the 1200 is my first ‘sticky out cylinder’ bike. I’ve got the BMW head protectors that cover the lower half of the cylinder head, not sure how strong they are? Also there is a crash bobbin on the drive shaft just in front of the rear wheel centre, so hopefully that will save damage there?! On the other side the v large exhaust looks vulnerable as well, but I guess not a lot you can do about that?
Obviously not looking to test any of it out, I had a car park drop a few years ago on a Speed Triple that did a fair bit of damage, since fitting crash protection I’ve never needed to use it, so here’s hoping!

·
Registered
16 Posts
I'm acquiring a 2018 r1200r shortly, yes, Im excited. I'm looking at the engine guards for it. I'm having an odd issue, from where I am, central coast of California, I can't get to either machineartmoto.com or wunderlichtamerica (Yes, I spelled it correctly in the URL, I googled it) It's oddly specific. And no, my wife did not put a block on accessory sites ;-)

I've tried different browsers, changed my DNS settings, did checks on line to see if the servers were available (Yep, I'm a nerd), as well as checked their dns.
:nerd:

Um

What I meant to ask is, can anyone else see those sites?

Thanks.

-Oz
current 2005 F650GS, soon to be 2018 R1200R

·
Premium Member
2,525 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
I purchased my machineart engine guards at my local BMW dealer (so. Calif.). The price was the same as on line price and I got a cup of coffee and a donut too. Win win.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Thanks. It's so odd, not only have I cleared browser history, I"ve tried 4 different browsers across two devices. These are also the only two sites, so far, that I've seen this behavior with.

I'm glad to be out of tech, but I still find things like this interesting.

Thanks all again!

Reactions: mikeS
1 - 20 of 36 Posts