BMW R1200R Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

· Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone know what this error is? Saw this code pop up on a recent odb read. I reset it last week, went on a 200 mile ride and it’s popped up 3x since.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

· Mark – Moderator 2015 R1200R-LC Exclusive
2015 R1200R Exclusive
7,951 Posts
Have you checked the connector into twist grip? I had a similar problem with the left hand switch-block 'not being present'.

· Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Nothing seemed disconnected but I’ll double check. How big is this sensor? I’m assuming it’s near the right grip? Thx

2015 R1200R Exclusive
7,951 Posts
I'm assuming it's the electronic equivalent of a cable pulley were the bike not to have ride-by-wire.

Check the connector on the underside of the twist-grip assembly (remove and replace).

Attachments

2015 R1200R Exclusive
7,951 Posts
Thank you. Appears to be in place, will call the dealer tomorrow to see if I can use the warranty.
A fault like this is not normal wear and tear, so I suggest you call the dealer and tell them you have a warranty issue.

:2guns:

· Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Made an appointment with the dealer, two weeks out, it's a busy time of the year for them. In the meantime, as Fredaroony points out a GS-911 can do a "throttle adaptation reset" which solved someone else' problem with this code. Also, sent an email to Motoscan to see if they allow something similar. Would be a good addition to the software if it doesn't exist already.

· Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
One of the two dealers was able to squeeze me in and ran the diagnostics. No faults found, no software updates. Considering I have no issues with the throttle on the bike from what I can tell and no codes on the official BMW diagnosis system, nothing needed. I can only attribute this to motoscan picking up and reporting erroneous info. The developer indicated throttle reset on the long term roadmap when I submitted a query recently.

· Registered
12 Posts
I'm assuming it's the electronic equivalent of a cable pulley were the bike not to have ride-by-wire.

Check the connector on the underside of the twist-grip assembly (remove and replace).
This issue has driven me nuts. It appears and then disappears. This time I noticed it only happens when i start and the bike goes into limp mode. After a few engine restarts (turn off and on) the yellow engine light in the top right corener appears. After the bike has warmed up and I stop (coffee) start again. no error and the bike can ride for miles.

Seems to occur at low speed.

2015 R1200R Exclusive
7,951 Posts
As suggested earlier, about the only thing you can do other than replace the whole assembly ($$$) is to remove, clean and replace the connector. The throttle grip assembly is a complex electronic assembly rather than a simple rheostat.
Use a clean/lube electronics cleaner spray (Jaycar) to ensure you are getting the best connection. You could also do the same at the ECU, I suppose. This was the national service centre advice for our Benz when it showed a fault code while on a trip.

· Registered
12 Posts
As suggested earlier, about the only thing you can do other than replace the whole assembly ($$$) is to remove, clean and replace the connector. The throttle grip assembly is a complex electronic assembly rather than a simple rheostat.
Use a clean/lube electronics cleaner spray (Jaycar) to ensure you are getting the best connection. You could also do the same at the ECU, I suppose. This was the national service centre advice for our Benz when it showed a fault code while on a trip.
Thanks Panzermann

· Registered
1 Posts
This issue has driven me nuts. It appears and then disappears. This time I noticed it only happens when i start and the bike goes into limp mode. After a few engine restarts (turn off and on) the yellow engine light in the top right corener appears. After the bike has warmed up and I stop (coffee) start again. no error and the bike can ride for miles.

Seems to occur at low speed.
I have the same issue 2013 gs wet head, but it has now gone into limp home mode only and will only rev to 3000rpm approx...I have taken the throttle grip apart and all seems ok in there, once I clear the code it will work sometimes until the error sticks and then its limp home mode again... Did you have any luck in fixing your problem ?

· Registered
12 Posts
I have the same issue 2013 gs wet head, but it has now gone into limp home mode only and will only rev to 3000rpm approx...I have taken the throttle grip apart and all seems ok in there, once I clear the code it will work sometimes until the error sticks and then its limp home mode again... Did you have any luck in fixing your problem ?
Issue appears sometimes. Only happens when I turn handlebar left at very low speed, like when manoeuvring to park. Strange one.
I think it's some electrical conflict issue that throws up a false error

· Registered
1,307 Posts
Issue appears sometimes. Only happens when I turn handlebar left at very low speed, like when manoeuvring to park. Strange one.
I think it's some electrical conflict issue that throws up a false error
Sounds like a cable is getting pulled just enough to break a connection and cause the issue.

While parked, watch which cables move the most when bar is turned full left. Then start the bike and wiggle/lightly pull on those cables to attempt to trigger the code. Then you will know which cable set to inspect the connectors of.

Sent from my SM-N970U1 using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 21 Posts