BMW R1200R Forum banner

ESA on 2023 R - no Max setting for preload?

1K views 11 replies 6 participants last post by  Lee F 
#1 ·
Got a few hundred miles on the bike and gradually getting the hang of stuff. Watched some videos on ESA. Not sure if mine is doing anything, I don't detect anything so far when switching settings :|

Notably, my preload only switches between Auto and Min - there doesn't seem a Max setting. Any immediate gotchas on this before I discuss with the shop?

#4 ·
My RT just lists MIN as being to make the bike easier to mount. AUTO is the recommended setting. Earlier bikes had rider/rider+luggage/rider+passenger etc. Then with auto leveling they changed to min/max/auto and finally the current min/auto. I have ridden quite a few different BMWs over the last 5 years and they all seem to have made the change. I am surprised they haven't just made it fixed on AUTO - maybe next year.

#6 ·
I can't compare as such - but IMO the sidestand is... fine? Not quite as good/stable as my last bike (Guzzi Breva 1100) but not as bad as the one before - Aprilia Falco, where I was scared to park on a fraction of a degree of an incline either way :O

#9 ·
Seems the setup has changed with different iterations of the bike. Currently (according to my manual) there are min, max and auto - with auto being the recommended setting, which adjusts based on height sensors? Except perhaps now Max is no longer there?

#12 ·
That's true if the bike didn't have a side stand that's too long.
We use Max on our 2022 R1250RSs so the bikes have a little lean when on the sidestand.

Reactions: r0ckrat
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.