BMW R1200R Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, new member here. Does anybody have suggestions or advice on how I adjust the ESA beyond the normal road dynamic and rain settings? My previous 2015 GS had a comfort setting, I can’t seem to find it on my 2017 R12R.Any help greatly appreciated.

·
Mark – Moderator 2015 R1200R-LC Exclusive
6,898 Posts
Hi Burgys, and welcome.

There is no Comfort ESA setting on the Roadster, just Road and Dynamic - not to be confused with the separate Rain, Road, Dynamic and User riding modes. The riding modes are various combinations of throttle response, traction and stability settings.

ESA settings can be toggled between Road and Dynamic with a double tap of the switch with the spring icon. Load settings can also be cycled through after a long press of the same button with the bike stationary and the engine running. Like your GS, the servo on the rear spring will take some seconds to wind the preload up/down as per the selected setting.

The 1250 links riding modes and Road/Dynamic suspension setting but allows subsequent adjustment, whereas on the 1200 they’re set separately as described above.

Reactions: r0ckrat

·
Registered
479 Posts
I've owned several BMWs with ESA, and it has always been just 2 settings. However, the softer setting changes among models. Since the R is supposed to be sporty, it's stiffer than the RT, for example, but for what I remember on my 2014, not by much. I like the suspension on the firm side, yet compliant, and that's exactly what I get with road, so I'm a happy camper :). Dynamic is great for the twisties, and not harsh at all IMO. BMW got it dialed in exactly the way I like it.

·
Mark – Moderator 2015 R1200R-LC Exclusive
6,898 Posts
I've owned several BMWs with ESA, and it has always been just 2 settings. However, the softer setting changes among models.
Unlike the 1200-LC, the liquid cooled GS and ESA-II equipped bikes have more than two settings.

·
Registered
2020 R1250R HP w/sport & 2019 R nineT SCR
50 Posts
There is also pre-loading setting option, only while in static position. AUTO-default, Min - 1up & Max - 2 up settings. Just leaving in AUTO is probably best, unless you are almost always 2-up/heavy load on the suspension, then you are just helping the ESA system with the pre-selected load info.

·
Registered
501 Posts
There is also pre-loading setting option, only while in static position. AUTO-default, Min - 1up & Max - 2 up settings. Just leaving in AUTO is probably best, unless you are almost always 2-up/heavy load on the suspension, then you are just helping the ESA system with the pre-selected load info.
The OP has a R1200R. The 1200 does not have a Auto setting as a preload option.

Reactions: Panzermann

·
Dave in NE TN USA
1,407 Posts
My '18 R12GS Rallye Sport has Dynamic Pro, Road, Rain & Enduro Pro riding modes, all are useful and I use them all. I am admittedly spoiled by the technology, comfort and dynamics of this bike, why I refer to it as "The CADILLAC Of BMWs". ;)

Cheers! Dave

·
Registered
799 Posts
My '18 R12GS Rallye Sport has Dynamic Pro, Road, Rain & Enduro Pro riding modes, all are useful and I use them all. I am admittedly spoiled by the technology, comfort and dynamics of this bike, why I refer to it as "The CADILLAC Of BMWs". ;)

Cheers! Dave
@dbyker - those are not suspension modes, those are traction control modes. OP was talking about the suspension modes.

Sent from my SM-N970U1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
479 Posts
My 1250R is ESA-II, and only has 2 suspension damping modes: road and dynamic. And 3 preload modes: min, max, and auto. My question on auto is if it's just switches automatically from min to max, or also in-between (hopefully the latter). Does anybody know for certain? Thx.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hi Burgys, and welcome.

There is no Comfort ESA setting on the Roadster, just Road and Dynamic - not to be confused with the separate Rain, Road, Dynamic and User riding modes. The riding modes are various combinations of throttle response, traction and stability settings.

ESA settings can be toggled between Road and Dynamic with a double tap of the switch with the spring icon. Load settings can also be cycled through after a long press of the same button with the bike stationary and the engine running. Like your GS, the servo on the rear spring will take some seconds to wind the preload up/down as per the selected setting.

The 1250 links riding modes and Road/Dynamic suspension setting but allows subsequent adjustment, whereas on the 1200 they’re set separately as described above.
Awesome advice, that answers my question perfectly. Thank you

1 - 10 of 10 Posts