BMW R1200R Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
R1200LC Sport 2017
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all
I had a low speed (walking pace) accident where a car turned in front of me pushing the bike, me and my wife over. We had Givi panniers fitted and the bike rolled on the panniers past horizontal so that the wheels were off the ground. The pannier lid, X-head covers and bar ends took most of the damage. The bike was in this position for a good few minutes while we made sure that my wife was ok as she was quite badly shaken but thankfully no injuries.

In the fall the instrument panel was pushed out of its mountings and one of the plastic prongs has snapped off (the top one). Can the back part of the instrument unit be replaced or does the entire unit have to be replaced? This will be an insurance claim, so I'm not worried about cost, but I am concerned that a new instrument panel will have a zero mileage reading and will not match with the true mileage, which will be an issue when I come to sell the bike in the future.

The bike was ridable, so we eventually continued on our journey after about 30 mins the ESA fault warning appeared and the suspension became very rough. I did a visual check and there seemed to be no obvious damage leaks etc. The bike was restarted and the fault code disappeared and the ride was normal again. My assumption was that as the forks had been in a slightly inverted position the fluid inside had not fully returned to the normal position leading to the fault. After being left overnight and after a days riding the fault and rough handling reappeared. Again the system reset after the ignition had been turned off then on.
This was the first time that the two of us had been on a trip and the first time that the 'two helmet' selection had been used. I have had the bike for 4 years, it is regularly BMW serviced has 15,000 mile on and has been reliable so far.
Some research suggests that there have been faults with 'two helmet ' mode and the ESA warning so could this be linked to the accident?

Grateful for your thoughts.

·
Registered
651 Posts
The entire instrument cluster will have to be replaced, but don't worry about mileage. All that info is stored and ether gets transferred over to the new cluster or is kept in the ECU memory banks.

·
Registered
768 Posts
1. I hope you had the other driver’s insurance pay for all repairs. BMW should have done a top-down full inspection of all systems to ensure no damage or recurring codes or symptoms before signing off.

2. Had a mishap the year I got my 2018 RS…posted below. Did almost $10K in damage, but insurance covered it and the bike has been trouble free so far. I did tell BMW to check EVERYTHING when evaluating the damage.

·
Registered
2017 R1200r LC sport.
1,850 Posts
That's a bit of a bummer Nitonman, I don't know where the beemer stores the mileage but if it is in the clocks your next couple of MOT's will record true mileage but after a couple of years that will drop off and it will only show what's on the clock so it's up to you to be honest at the time of sale. No need to ask how I know. :unsure:

·
Registered
R1200LC Sport 2017
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The entire instrument cluster will have to be replaced, but don't worry about mileage. All that info is stored and ether gets transferred over to the new cluster or is kept in the ECU memory banks.
Thanks, hope you're correct, my dealer isn't sure (I might need a new dealer!)

·
Registered
651 Posts
My cluster was replaced at purchase time (used, 5600 miles) as the face glass had warped and pinned the speedo needle down. When I picked it up, the mileage was there.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts