BMW R1200R Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

Registered
2012 R1200R, K27, Light-grey Metallic
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I need to have an USB socket to power my phone while navigating. For that purpose I ordered this item:
But I hate attaching things to the handlebar and because of the thickness of the handlebar in the middle this mount looks horrible.
The mount and the socket itself are detachable, and this evening I came up with a solution.

Gadget Collar Cable Adapter Audio equipment Audio equipment Gadget Auto part Fashion accessory Wood Grey Bumper Automotive exterior Rectangle Composite material Musical instrument accessory Bumper Audio equipment Gadget Rectangle Automotive design Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Automotive tire Steering part Vehicle Motor vehicle Bicycle part Carbon Rim Speedometer Motorcycle Automotive lighting Odometer Automotive tire

Just a small piece of aluminium strip, with a 8mm hole for mounting it behind the sport windshield bracket.
Bend it a little et voila! I used the shaft of a screwdriver for a nice radius. And I used 2 buttonhead screws to mimic the original slide-on mount like on the original handlebar mount. It works beautifully. Maybe paint it black, but the alu color is fine too. There is no copyright on this idea, but credits and a beer if you are in the neighbourhood is much appreciated 馃榿

Now I just have to go find a BMW nav-prep connector so I can connect the socket through the connector in front of the tank.
Suggestion anyone?

Registered
Beatrice - 2020 BMW R1250R Exclusive in Pollux Metallic Matte
I need to have an USB socket to power my phone while navigating. For that purpose I ordered this item:
But I hate attaching things to the handlebar and because of the thickness of the handlebar in the middle this mount looks horrible.
The mount and the socket itself are detachable, and this evening I came up with a solution.

View attachment 112786 View attachment 112787 View attachment 112788 View attachment 112789 View attachment 112790 View attachment 112791 View attachment 112792

Just a small piece of aluminium strip, with a 8mm hole for mounting it behind the sport windshield bracket.
Bend it a little et voila! I used the shaft of a screwdriver for a nice radius. And I used 2 buttonhead screws to mimic the original slide-on mount like on the original handlebar mount. It works beautifully. Maybe paint it black, but the alu color is fine too. There is no copyright on this idea, but credits and a beer if you are in the neighbourhood is much appreciated 馃榿

Now I just have to go find a BMW nav-prep connector so I can connect the socket through the connector in front of the tank.
Suggestion anyone?

Check this post here: Power for GPS

Very nice and neat arrangement! My previous bike vibrated a lot, and I've ruined a few cell phone cameras with optical image stabilization this way (also used a RAM mount). R1250R is much better, but there are still enough vibrations emanating through the handlebars, I'm afraid enough to ruin a cell phone camera. Do you have vibrations on your bike and do you find it to be an issue?

Registered
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Check this post here: Power for GPS

Very nice and neat arrangement! My previous bike vibrated a lot, and I've ruined a few cell phone cameras with optical image stabilization this way (also used a RAM mount). R1250R is much better, but there are still enough vibrations emanating through the handlebars, I'm afraid enough to ruin a cell phone camera. Do you have vibrations on your bike and do you find it to be an issue?
Yes, I expect that harness in the mail today.

I think any bike has vibrations and a lot is dependant on your mount. I have been using my Huawei P30 Pro (which is not a cheap one AND has optical stabilization indeed) on my previous bike, an FJR. That probably vibrates less than a boxer, but never had a problem with it. I use original RAM mounts that have a rubber coating on the balls, and an X-Gripp with the squishy rubber "fingers" that hold the phone I make sure that the back of the phone DOES NOT make contact with the hard back of the mount (placed a soft rubber strip on it!).

I am however thinking about dedicating a rugged phone for use as a GPS on the bike and outdoors also (we like geocaching ;)).

Mark 鈥 2015 R1200R-LC Exclusive
Quadlock makes a vibration damper for this reason

Font Hat Screenshot Fedora Logo

Registered
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Registered

Registered

Registered
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
This is how I ruined the cameras :)
Ouch... Am I lucky? :giggle:

Since I have MyRoute-App Navigation I rely completely on Android for navigation en routes.
I bought this rugged phone to use as a dedicated navigation device.
Photograph Mobile phone White Product Output device

CAT S52
It complies to military standards and has no optical image stabilizer. I think it is well-suited as a navigation device!
It will be in-house tomorrow. I will see how it fits the X-Grip, but I am thinking about the Quadlock too. I looks like a more elegant solution. And since this is a dedicatied navigation (for me) I can simply stick the adapter to it, without a cover or sleeve.

Registered
Ouch... Am I lucky? :giggle:

Since I have MyRoute-App Navigation I rely completely on Android for navigation en routes.
I bought this rugged phone to use as a dedicated navigation device.
View attachment 112867
CAT S52
It complies to military standards and has no optical image stabilizer. I think it is well-suited as a navigation device!
It will be in-house tomorrow. I will see how it fits the X-Grip, but I am thinking about the Quadlock too. I looks like a more elegant solution. And since this is a dedicatied navigation (for me) I can simply stick the adapter to it, without a cover or sleeve.
This phone might be an overkill for a simple navigator, and don鈥檛 trust the mil. spec. marketing too much. Will you be using it as a dedicated navigation device or a cell phone as well?

Before I changed phones, I had an iPhone 6s Plus, and used it for navigation, phone calls, etc. when riding. When I got a new phone, I keeps the old iPhone as navigation device, and used WiFi hot spot function (tethering) for data connection from the my main phone. Until BMW TFT and Nav6, I had the
Ram x grip mount. It is very versatile, and I never had a problem with phone flying off, even when I low sided at 30 MPH. I originally bought the mount for a bicycle ride up in Colorado mountains 8 or so years ago and it performed flawlessly since then on multiple bicycles and my previous m-bike. If you don鈥檛 care for vibration damage, it is the best function over style mount I鈥檝e seen.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
This phone might be an overkill for a simple navigator, and don鈥檛 trust the mil. spec. marketing too much. Will you be using it as a dedicated navigation device or a cell phone as well?
I am not sure if it is a known brand un the US, but in Europe it is known as a trustworthy manufacturer of heavilly rugged phones. It is licensed by Caterpillar and the defacto standard for use on construction sites. The people from MyRoute-App also use mainly this brand for testing their software on Android.

Before I changed phones, I had an iPhone 6s Plus, and used it for navigation, phone calls, etc. when riding. When I got a new phone, I keeps the old iPhone as navigation device, and used WiFi hot spot function (tethering) for data connection from the my main phone.
I did exactly the same for some years. But my "last previous" phone I gave to my father in law since he dropped his old one. My current P30 Pro is too good a phone to be replaced even after 2 years of use, so I thought to turn it around, and get a rugged waterproof dedicated Navigation phone instead. I have not received it yet, but they claim it can be operated with gloves too. It is not very expensive. I like to use a phone instead of a Garmin or TomTom because this way you have no issues connecting to headsets with multiple apps simultaneously. I am no promotor of answering phonecalls while riding, but having radio, Spotify, Flitsmeister (Speedcam warning) and other things while driving is very handy.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The accessory connector came in today, and I just mounted it. I cut the harness short, measured out the needed length for the USB socket, and soldered ground to 1 and plus to 3. Works like a charm. A few tie wraps to route the cable, and fixed the (big! and why not black!) connector to the horn mount, also with a tie wrap. The connector needs quite a push to click-fit.

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive exterior Automotive design Automotive wheel system

Reactions: fireman

Registered
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
You get extra points for knowing the difference between "damper" and "dampener".
I guess for a Dutch guy that would be allowable, but... ;)

Mark 鈥 2015 R1200R-LC Exclusive
Australian damper ...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts