BMW R1200R Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I know this might be an eye roll similar thread as what oil should I use and when type thread.
But we can make it simple if you are willing to respond.
Should I or should I not get married in old age or just live together?
No, no no...I meant to ask should I extend my warranty or just save the money because our bikes are so marvelously reliable and durable?
thank you

·
Registered
266 Posts
Easy to figure out..

What is the cost of the warranty?

What is the cost of parts for a repair that might be needed within the warranty process? And if you don't do it yourself, the cost of it being done?

Which one would you rather spend it on, and spend it now or later?

If parts/repair for one possible required incident exceed the cost of the warranty, then I'd opt for the warranty.

Say the driveshaft failed.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
142 Posts
Unless the warranty is from your OEM with same terms as the new bike warranty I'd look into the history of their paying claims. Aftermarket "warranty" is just an insurance plan, and insurance companies business model is "collect premiums, deny claims". Even when they pay many people find they still get left with a sizable bill.

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
I‘ve never bought any kind of extended warranty on anything. Just not worth it to me. And I can‘t recall ever really needing one after the fact.

I‘ve also been living with my gf for the past 27 years. Haven’t needed a new one of those, either, even after the past 8 months of being together pretty much 24x7 with her working from home. I think she might be a keeper :love:

·
Premium Member
214 Posts
I’ve used them on new cars. Sometimes they pay for themselves, sometimes they don’t. Whether you can perform extensive repairs is a big question. I don’t. That said, BMW has a 3-yr warranty. I’ll be 75 when it expires. Hopefully I won’t also but I may not be riding at that point.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
I do not do extensive repairs on my bike, just simple maintenance and accessories.
I was told a Western Insurance policy will cost $1500 for an additional 4 years to my OEM 3yr warranty. And it covers essentially the same as OEM. The person I spoke with said that BMW is not self insured and use an independent insurer? Maybe that is how all manufacturer's offer a warranty?
I have also read that even BMW will balk sometimes on an OEM warranty claim if they feel it isn't their 'fault'. Don't know how often that would happen. I read some disgruntlement on ADVRider when I was making decisions a while back about getting a BMW.
I can't easily afford this but I feel I should buy it, and feel like I shouldn't. I think if the cost were pocket change for me so to speak, I wouldn't have probably tortured everyone reading this thread. Thanks again

·
Premium Member
591 Posts
Along with @Pale Roadster I am skeptical about aftermarket warranties. As he said, they are happy to take your money, but have many strategies to avoid paying. Some of it is as simple as small print "exceptions" and the even simpler techniques like "losing" your claim form or having a claims process that is so difficult that you must keep resubmitting. If one does actually cover that ridiculously expensive part like..well many on BMWs!...great, but overall such policies do make money for the warranty/insurance companies, so do the math.

·
Mark – 2015 R1200R-LC Exclusive
5,684 Posts
Motoring organisations in Australia are unanimous in their assessment of extended warranties - not worth it.

If there’s going to be a warranty claim with one of these bikes, it’s likely to be in the first year of ownership or first 15,000 km. After that, it’ll be fair wear and tear rather than warranty claimable.

My 2015 at 90,000 km rides like new - in fact better than new as it’s run in. I know one sample isn’t a decent statistical population, but from doing all my own maintenance, I reckon these things are very well engineered.

A friend with a Multistrada is currently grappling with the issue of a valve shim collet found on the magnetic sump plug by the workshop at a minor service. Valves have yet to be due for a check, so it seems to be a whoopsie leftover during manufacture. Something like this would never happen on a BMW (if only because BMW Motorrad would never give you something gratis).

Reactions: Bri and Kramer

·
Registered
2017 R1200r LC sport.
1,621 Posts
Like all extended warranties it's only any good if you need it. After buying several new bikes, TV's and washing machines etc I have never taken out an extended warranty and never needed to.

·
Dave in NE TN
958 Posts
Here's a thread from last year testifying to the long-term reliability of the LC and also the value of an RPM One extended warranty.

Something to consider. HTH.

Cheers, Dave

Reactions: basstodave

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
@dbyker Thanks for this post. I also haven't put many miles on my '18 R. Oh noooooo....:oops: ;)
I doubt I'll ever put that many miles on my bike but he certainly is glad he has that aftermarket warranty. hmmmmm

·
Registered
4 Posts
... should I extend my warranty or just save the money because our bikes are so marvelously reliable and durable?
Another data point: I bought my 2013 R1200R new in May, 2013, with the Western Service Contract ($995, 5-yr, unlimited mileage). By March, 2014, the OEM warranty had expired (36,000 mileage limit in USA). In March, 2017, at 184,000 miles, the driveshaft, final drive, and swingarm all disintegrated. The Western adjuster requested service records to verify that final drive fluid had had been changed as recommended. Since I had all services done regularly at dealers, I sent him those invoices, and he approved the claim without delay. Payment from Western covered all but $90 of the $5,473 repair bill. I did not have any other claims for the reminder of the contract, and the Roadster is now at 290,000 miles.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
It appears the service contract is invaluable if you put lots of miles on. I am leaning toward extending my warranty. I don't want to shell out for it now, but even if never needed, when I sell the bike whatever I get for it will feel like recompense.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts