BMW R1200R Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I decided to pickle my bikes for the winter yesterday. I started with the R1100S . Four qts of Castrol Actevo 20/50 semi synthetic. Easy, 1/2 hour done. (Fill and sight glass on same side) Next R1200R (13) , removed filter, drained oil 15w50 Actevo ready to go. Here's the problem. You fill on the right side of the engine and the sight glass is on the left. The last qt you do the dance , back and forth. They could have put the fill port on the left but because they have the crank vent under the left head , maybe thats why. Then why not put the glass on the right side. As a mechanic I find this crap annoying.
Yeah I could prop up a mirror on the left and maybe that would work. Who is going to do that. Get out of the cubicle engineer and actually do an oil change.

· Registered
2012 R1200R
186 Posts
I think the simplicity of checking valves (and most other maintenance) more than makes up for this. There's usually a slight lag between when you pour in oil and you see an accurate level in the glass, about the same time it takes to walk around the bike.

I'm more upset with engineers because of the fuel sensor and rust gas cap problem.

· Registered
2014 R1200R Dark White
162 Posts
What about trying to replace alternator belt?
Getting the belt cover off, oh wait, the damn oil cooler is in the way.
Using small 5mm bolt at the bottom cover, oil cooler bracket that gives everyone trouble.
It gives everyone trouble because the front fender is too short and it allows splash, debris to be thrown at the lower oil cooler, lower engine area. The contamination gets into the alternator belt cover, buildup starts corrosion where the lower bolt screws into. now everyone has problems trying to remove the seized up bolt.

· Registered
2012 R1200R
186 Posts
Agree, the 5mm bolt can be a PITA. The GS and RT don't have the oil cooler issue, with a naked bike there's nowhere else to hide the cooler, not going to blame the engineers for that one. The belt itself is an easy change.

· Mark – Moderator 2015 R1200R-LC Exclusive
2015 R1200R Exclusive
7,951 Posts
Work out exactly how much oil it takes to fill an empty sump, then next time pour off the surplus from a new container and dump the remainder in. Add a smidge later if required for final finesse if you are fussy about the level (which most are not).

1 - 6 of 6 Posts