BMW R1200R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,991 Posts
I just can't get myself to like the headlight. Everything else looks good.

·
Registered
138 Posts
PZ in most cases I am in full agreement with you.

However, as a former owner of an F800r, I am waiting to see it in final release and hopefully it will look better than this photo.

Hate to say so, but it currently looks almost as ugly as FZ 09 or whatever they call it now.

·
Registered
167 Posts
It's a bit too much on the weirdo "Transformer" look for me.

Pity it's got one of those greasy round things with teeth on the back wheel.

From an engineering perspective, it'd certainly be interesting to know why "Ze Jermin 'Enjunears'" didn't opt for the much quieter and far easier to live with "rubber band" with greater service intervals than the greasy long lumpy thing that goes around the toothed round thing?

(Can you tell I'm a "shafty" convert?)

·
Super Moderator
925 Posts
I'm glad BMW makes the F Bikes, they're cool and different strokes for different folks.

Recently rode with a F800R owner who really likes his bike, I liked it too but will still take the Mighty Boxer with its Effortless Torks.

My dealer tells me chains are better than they used to be but I still prefer to get the shaft.

Cheers, Dave

·
Registered
138 Posts
F900R and XR

Well I changed my opinion after seeing the launch photos

I had stated on an earlier post that it looked as ugly as the FZ09 and would wait to see the final version .

It is a handsome bike and the XR will be an impact bike for BMW

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
4,762 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
They even gave it some extra cubes over the GS, which I always said BMW should have done by implanting the Nuda version of the Rotax engine in the ST/GT for an easy update.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Well I changed my opinion after seeing the launch photos

I had stated on an earlier post that it looked as ugly as the FZ09 and would wait to see the final version .

It is a handsome bike and the XR will be an impact bike for BMW

Those look awfully nice. Perhaps the headlight of the F900R will sometime come over to the R1250R?

I sat on an S1000XR a few months ago and liked it (no ride), but kept thinking it could be a bit *too* much. This F900 may be a great all-rounder and the slightly smaller size with ~100hp better suited to city speeds, use and tight maneuvers.

Am I the only person who kinda likes the yellow/gold version?

·
Super Moderator
4,762 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Of course just as the R gets a revamp, the competition hots up, with KTM announcing a substantial upgrade to the 790 Duke R.

I expect the BMW will be more attractive to those who use their bike not just for hot-rodding around the twisties though.

·
Super Moderator
4,762 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
The headlight looks interesting, and main beams are LED.

‘ The adaptive headlight of the F 900 R switches on automatically at a lean angle of 7°. Separate LED elements in the main headlight ensure the best possible illumination of the inside of the curve. For more comfort and safety in every curve.’

·
Registered
100 Posts
The headlight looks interesting, although not clear if main beams are LED.

‘ The adaptive headlight of the F 900 R switches on automatically at a lean angle of 7°. Separate LED elements in the main headlight ensure the best possible illumination of the inside of the curve. For more comfort and safety in every curve.’
Hopefully future versions of the R1250R will also have the same headlight set up with full LED and adaptive cornering lights.

·
Registered
77 Posts
I was very much in love with this bike from the start. With no offense intended to the LC guys - this is definitely the bike I'd have considered when trading my '14 R1200R. It checks a lot of boxes for me. Then I saw the US version. They've done the same bait and switch with the rear taillight as on the 9T (which i also owned). To meet US DOT rules (I'm assuming) - they've used the same massive rear taillight they copy and pasted from the GS onto the 9T - and several other models. It sits at the end of an already ridiculous diving board rear fender. And unfortunately, with BMW Canbus, swapping that stuff out isn't a quick and easy fix. I just find it really sad that BMW spends all that time designing and engineering a bike like this and then fumbles it at the 1 yard line by tossing on a parts bin rear tail assembly to get it past US code. I'm hard pressed to find a worse example in any competitor, particularly in the premium segment. Some, like Ducati, Indian, or even Harley Davidson(!) have crafted very elegant solutions in the rear.

http://cdnmedia.endeavorsuite.com/images/organizations/66f1a320-a328-4f4c-94db-7eab0a98f045/inventory/2020-08/IMG_1731.JPEG

·
Registered
4,842 Posts
This bike is being compared a lot to the newer Triumph Tiger models in the same category, albeit that the Tri's are triple cylinder bikes. Consensus of opinion is that the BMW loses out in the comparison thanks to the much livelier Tri motor, and the BMW generally is damned with faint praise. (Please don't shoot the messenger!).

·
Super Moderator
4,762 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
AMCN’s Deputy Editor Kellie Buckley was full of praise for the new models, the XR in particular. But then in the same article she called their predecessor F800 series ‘agricultural’. Being a 14 year old model, it didn’t have all the latest gizmos (although had been updated with RBW) it was well overdue for replacement, but in no way was it agricultural. She did admit, though, that one of her most memorable rides was on an F800ST in Tasmania.

In Australia, I don’t expect the 900R to be a big seller. In base form, it isn’t as highly specified as the XR, presumably to provide a lower entry level price, but some options can’t even be added when ordering (cruise control, I think). At that price point, the competition is hot for a rorty naked - from Triumph, Yamaha and KTM in particular, and even Suzuki and Kawasaki if you can tolerate ugly.

That US tail light assembly is a death knell in that market.

·
Registered
4,842 Posts
RBW? "Please explain" as Pauline said... IMHO (and I feel I can speak freely as I owned an F800 GT many moons ago) one of the significant advantages of that bike was the belt drive, also now 'lost' on the R/ XR. One of the very best motorcycles in that so-called Sport-Touring mid-weight category is Yamaha's Tracer 900 (and up-specced Tracer 900 GT), which in this market comes out-of-the-box with the lot - excellent cruise-control, TFT display, three ride modes, decent screen, hand-guards, centre-stand, decent seats, and hard 20L panniers as standard. Its outstanding feature however is the brilliant bullet-proof 848cc triple-cylinder engine and well-matched gearbox, which gives exhilarating acceleration. The R/ XR might struggle to keep up in that regard too. But, having said all that, the Yamaha is as rare as a unicorn here, and I suggest that the BMW models will likewise be but rarely seen.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts