BMW R1200R Forum banner

21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Super Moderator
4,787 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
RBW = Ride By Wire. No throttle cable, but with the throttle connected to the ECU electronically, and the ECU controls the throttle body butterflies. It enables riding modes with differing throttle responses (e.g. Rain, Road, Dynamic) and simple implementation of cruise control.

Yes - the loss of belt drive is significant from my perspective - it is what drew me to the F800ST in the first instance.

·
Registered
4,847 Posts
They even gave it some extra cubes over the GS, which I always said BMW should have done by implanting the Nuda version of the Rotax engine in the ST/GT for an easy update.

It was, of course, mooted for a very long time that this implant was going to happen (BMW at that time owned Husqvarna of course) but it never did.

·
Registered
4,847 Posts
AMCN’s Deputy Editor Kellie Buckley was full of praise for the new models, the XR in particular. But then in the same article she called their predecessor F800 series ‘agricultural’.

As a journo, Kellie Buckley needs to take a dictionary and thesaurus to bed with her. In this context, 'agricultural' means rough, crude, primitive, unfinished, and a host of other pejoratives. None of which, BTW, could possibly be applied to the Hon Gentlemen here! I cannot speak to other F800 variants, but my GT came with belt-drive: single-sided swing-arm: under-seat fuel tank thus lower c of g: side-mounted fuel tank filler cap, preventing unsightly scratching of tank from the more usual top-mounted filler: and very handy should-be-on-all-bikes tyre valve stems mounted horizontally on wheel spokes. Hardly crude or primitive, and evidence of a deal of thought being put in, even if not exactly ground-breaking.

And of course we are all aware that motorcycle press journos live by the goodwill of manufacturers who, if they didn't make new bikes available to the press in exotic all-expenses-paid overseas locations would kill-off many a mobike mag that relies on write-ups of such extravagant goings-on. Colour me cynical...

Now - how can I score one of those gigs?

·
Registered
14 Posts
PZ in most cases I am in full agreement with you.

However, as a former owner of an F800r, I am waiting to see it in final release and hopefully it will look better than this photo.

Hate to say so, but it currently looks almost as ugly as FZ 09 or whatever they call it now.
I had a 12 F800R and it was ok. I sold it for a Street Triple and it was a better ride. The F800R was way too vibby on the highway. I think the quality of a R1200R is a lot better too.

·
Super Moderator
4,787 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
As a journo, Kellie Buckley needs to take a dictionary and thesaurus to bed with her. In this context, 'agricultural' means rough, crude, primitive, unfinished, and a host of other pejoratives.
Her article kept bugging me, so I used an article in the subsequent issue as a segue to giving her a gentle chide. The break-out about her most memorable ride on one is very telling, remembering this is a bike that is largely unchanged during its 14 year life, having been released in 2006!

Also included is the picture of my ST published with the article - cool enough for this self-assured rider.

They seem to vary a bit in their vibes - I never found mine to be a problem, but normal cruising speeds were <130 km/h, in deference to economy in licence preservation, fuel and tyres.

·
Registered
4,847 Posts
Her article kept bugging me, so I used an article in the subsequent issue as a segue to giving her a gentle chide. The break-out about her most memorable ride on one is very telling, remembering this is a bike that is largely unchanged during its 14 year life, having been released in 2006!

Also included is the picture of my ST published with the article - cool enough for this self-assured rider.

They seem to vary a bit in their vibes - I never found mine to be a problem, but normal cruising speeds were <130 km/h, in deference to economy in licence preservation, fuel and tyres.

View attachment 107836
View attachment 107838

I like the lines of that ST, Pz...

·
Registered
167 Posts
I once helped a buddy do a rear drive belt change on a BMW C650S, (Scarver I think they were called), a pre-cursor to the F800ST . Swinging arm out, but very do-able for a coupla' shade tree mechanics and no worse (and much less messier) than fitting an endless link chain. Some time back I even considered an F800ST and the belt drive was a key benefit IMHO.

I like the belt drive VERY much - ultra clean, quiet, mechanically as efficient as a chain, next to no adjustment ever and SUPER reliable.

And hey, if it's good enough to stick on all those Hardly Ableson "sludge pumps", it's gotta be cool, right?

·
Super Moderator
4,787 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
With the single sided swing arm, belt changes were much easier on the F800. Belt covers and front pulls cover to remove, release tension, swap belt, tension, and replace covers.

21 - 29 of 29 Posts