BMW R1200R Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,797 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Lunasee glowing wheel lights,
"Darla" 2000 lumen LED lights from Clearwater
Backup flashing brake LED under license plate from A&S.
Hope to have them on by the end of June. Will report.

·
Registered
5,103 Posts
I hope you'll be able to afford the electricity bills, drD!

L of S

·
Premium Member
1,797 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It's all LEDS, LofS. I doubt that all of them together are more than about 55 watts; the Darla's are 48 on High Beam together, about 40 total on low. Can't imagine the Lunasee and brake light are more than a few more. So, with a 50 watt heated vest, 10 watt gloves and all this visibility, it's what? about 110 watts?

·
Premium Member
1,797 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
But if you hear about a molten slag heap on I94 that vaguely resembled a 2012 R1200r, you'll know that I probably shouldn't have included that nuclear sub-woofer and ultrasonic rear window glassbreaker as well. . .

·
Premium Member
335 Posts
Love the Darla's; saw them at the motorcyckle show in nyc in January. but can't find a place/ means to mount them. Any ideas?

·
Premium Member
1,797 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Crash bars around the cylinders is where I'm putting mine.

Attachments

·
Registered
5,103 Posts
Here in sunny Oz - where things are usually not too anal - we are not allowed
to add extra lights over and above any OE fitments to vehicles, especially of the flashing/ pulsing kind.

BUT - there was huge public outcry last Xmas when a group of well-meaning charity workers dressed up a light truck with lights, etc,, and paraded it around the streets to raise money for a kids charity.

Pleece ordered them off the road: uproar, then order rescinded!

L of S

·
Premium Member
3,991 Posts
Here in sunny Oz - where things are usually not too anal - we are not allowed
to add extra lights over and above any OE fitments to vehicles, especially of the flashing/ pulsing kind.

BUT - there was huge public outcry last Xmas when a group of well-meaning charity workers dressed up a light truck with lights, etc,, and paraded it around the streets to raise money for a kids charity.

Pleece ordered them off the road: uproar, then order rescinded!

L of S
Next minute they will be making you install a front number plate to your bike....:2cents:

·
Premium Member
2,023 Posts
LofS - what about a GS that comes with factory fitted spot lights? The same lights would fit an R so would they be allowed?

·
Registered
5,103 Posts
what about a GS that comes with factory fitted spot lights?
I am led to believe that only if riding off-road can these be ON.

But it seems at odds - I'll check and post...

L of S

·
Registered
5,103 Posts
Next minute they will be making you install a front number plate to your bike....:2cents:
Don't joke - in Victoria it is planned to re-introduce these pedestrian-shredders...!

L of S

·
Premium Member
1,242 Posts
LofS - what about a GS that comes with factory fitted spot lights? The same lights would fit an R so would they be allowed?
Hahahahaha DrDave will have a stroke.

BTW Dr, did you read this?????

"The new water-cooled 2013 BMW R1200GS has been named “Best of the Best” in the Motorcycles, Adventure/Touring category of Robb Report’s recently released June issue. The 25th annual edition of Best of the Best is the guide to the world’s finest new automobiles, yachts, hotels, watches, wines and more. It features more than 175 award winners plus a “Best of the Best” retrospective of perennial favorites."

·
Premium Member
1,797 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hoshiko, I thought the Robb report mainly awarded stuff on the basis of perceived aggrandizement to the wealthy buyer. They probably didn't realize there were more expensive bikes they could have chosen. . .

·
Registered
5,103 Posts
... perceived aggrandizement to the wealthy buyer. . . .
I always refer to it as 'the politics of envy'.

Come the revolution...!

L of S

·
Premium Member
3,991 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,797 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
There was a recent review of the GS in a bike mag; at one point it started bucking and almost threw the rider off. It was also top heavy and harder to work at low speeds. Of course they loved the bike.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts