BMW R1200R Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2012 R1200R Classic with about $4000 worth of extras, Ohlins, Corbin seat, hard bags with painted lids and the BMW topbox...plus a miriad of farkles. Yes, I spent way too much, but the once unthinkable is now thinkable. Due to some health issues I have to consider selling my baby, so I've been told the extras don't get you much, but I'm wondering what a fair price would be for a farkled out R with 17,000 mile on her would be. Thanks guys!

·
Registered
2012 R1200R, K27, Light-grey Metallic
132 Posts
I can't give an estimate because my brain is washed by Dutch added taxes on vehicles. But I would suggest stripping the extras and selling them separately. You will probably make a lot of forum-colleages happy with them, and mostly a bike is worth more having it as close to original as possible. It's always a pity to hear that health issues are a reason to end a hobby...

Reactions: JPC IRL

·
Registered
2012 R1200R
86 Posts
As you may know the pandemic has driven used bike prices up. I browse Cycle Trader somewhat regularly and the 2011- '14 Camheads seem to be advertised between $7K-$8K, some well accessorized like yours, but have no idea what they sell for.

I bought my 2012 a year ago, 31K miles, $2500+ in accessories, ASC (no ESA), well maintained, for $6K which I thought was a good price. If I listed it for sale today (40K miles) I'd "ask" $7500. A local independent bike shop right now has a 2012 with 17K miles, Corbin, touring shield, no ESA or ASC tagged at $6200, for reference.

It's true the accessories are worth more if sold separately than if sold with the bike. If you have the original parts you may want to sell the bigger ticket items like Corbin and Ohlin separately. then lower the price of the bike a bit for a quicker sale. Accessories always work to the favor of the buyer, I felt I got the extras on my bike for free.

·
Registered
‘12 R1200R Classic | ‘15 R1200RT
154 Posts
I agree with v-rider. If you can, return the bike to stock and sell the farkles separately. For point of reference, last year I paid $6k for an as-new 2012 Classic with 6000 miles which was being sold on consignment at a BMW dealership. The dealer has just completed the full 12k service on the bike, plus installed a new battery and new tires. Despite all this, it took them several months to sell the bike.

·
Registered
Africa Twin's and a BMW or two
108 Posts
I agree with v-rider. If you can, return the bike to stock and sell the farkles separately. For point of reference, last year I paid $6k for an as-new 2012 Classic with 6000 miles which was being sold on consignment at a BMW dealership. The dealer has just completed the full 12k service on the bike, plus installed a new battery and new tires. Despite all this, it took them several months to sell the bike.
Peculiarly underappreciated machine.
And I can never understand that!

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
And if you have like a Corbin Seat, hit me up. I might be interested if it is in great shape and the price is right.

·
Registered
17 Posts
First off, I am sorry to hear you are having health issues. As a former BMW sales person and someone who has sold a couple of R1200Rs personally and over 1k motorcycles I can humbly give you my advice since you asked for it.

While I am not sure what the market is in your area you might be better off asking for a price slightly above what the KBB, NADA online sites are asking for because of all the stuff you put into it. Yes, you won't get $$$ you've spent back and yes, it is a niche bike so it might take longer than expected but you will get convenience. Sell it the way it is and make someone happy. Stay away from ebay as there are rules that were put in place this year that might put your funds on hold unless you want to give them your SSN info (trust me on this one). It's really not worth it. Plus you don't really want to deal with shipping and ebay fees.

Just for reference I have attached a screen shot of the KBB value in my area. With this in mind I would consider listing it for $9995.00 which is a great value for anyone seriously looking specifically for an R, there's not a lot of them. I remember we never had more than one in the showroom floor and the first water-cooled I sold to a guy in NYC. At this price you might have some "fly in ride out buyers" and they can deal with the stock parts themselves.

Another option would be consigning to a BMW dealership and have them take care of everything for a small fee.

Just my 2 cents.

I wish you good health and hopefully you'll be riding again soon.

Attachments

·
Dave in NE TN USA
1,506 Posts
The Camhead generation like your 2012 are very desirable IMO, however the R12R is a niche motorbike (vs. RT or GS) and typically takes a while to find a buyer.

As far as price, I pretty much agree with the folks above the sweet spot is probably $6K-$8K, you can start at $9K-$10K with the farkles and great ad & pics but you'll probably have to negotiate down. The next generation 2015+ Liquid Cooled R12Rs can occasionally be found below $10K so that's what you're competing with. Both generations have their strengths and fans, but if you push too far into LC price territory you're probably going to be waiting a while to sell.

As far as farkles, if you decide to remove & sell them separately, shipping fees for larger items - seats, bags, shocks, mufflers, etc. - are outrageous and getting worse. The bigger & heavier the box and farther the destination the more it's gonna cost you. Really eats into your farkle selling profits. If you're in the middle of the country it'll be less, but if you're on one side and the buyer is on the other it's going to cost you. I think I paid ~$150 to ship a seat from Tennessee to Colorado last year, if I could have boxed it smaller it would have been cheaper, but still. Plus extra wrenching and dealing with buyers. Not trying to discourage you but sharing my experience FWIW.

Be sure to list your bike here, as well as Cycle Trader, ADVrider, BMW MOA (if you're a member), IBMWR (can't hurt), Facebook Marketplace & Craigslist (I know, I know!).

I wish you the best with your health, selling a great motorbike and giving up riding is something none of us look forward to.

Best! Dave

Reactions: Panzermann
1 - 9 of 9 Posts