BMW R1200R Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With spring around the corner and getting a little impatient to get back in the saddle, I'm starting to think of little, generally innocuous things I can order and install to the pass the time. There are several companies that offer each of these two items -- TFT screen tempered glass protector and, also, headlight film and acrylic protectors -- but am just wondering, generally speaking, are either of these two items really worth doing? Anybody have experience with either, and do they tend to cause more problems than they're worth (dulled TFT or dimmed headlight w/ 3M tape in the way, etc.)?

·
Registered
227 Posts
I have Lamin-x film on our R1200RS headlights.
I did it to help prevent sun damage and sand pitting.
I can't remember how rounded the headlight is on the R. If it's too rounded it may be hard to use a film without getting wrinkles.

I see they have one for the R1250R. BMW R1250R (2020+ ) Headlight Covers

·
Premium Member
252 Posts
I needed to throw away some money so I got a TFT (clear plastic) screen protector. Don’t remember the brand.

This didn’t stop me from scratching the windshield ; )

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Doug, did the TFT protector have any negative impact on the vivid brightness of the TFT...did the colors or sharpness seem dulled at all and/or cause problems in direct sunlight or at night? (And sorry about the windshield!)

·
Registered
121 Posts

I bought both of these items on ebay from the manufacturer. Can't say if still available.
The speedo angel is a clear film that does not cause distortion or loss of acuity and does not yellow or cloud over.
The acrylic Powerbronze headlight cover doesn't seem to diminish illumination from an already abysmal headlight. Much more protection than a film and easy to install.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Appreciate the links and feedback, basstodave.

·
Premium Member
252 Posts
Doug, did the TFT protector have any negative impact on the vivid brightness of the TFT...did the colors or sharpness seem dulled at all and/or cause problems in direct sunlight or at night? (And sorry about the windshield!)
Mine is a Speedo-Angel, 2X Ultra Clear. I haven’t noticed any difference. It’s not glued on so it’s easily removable if it bugs you.

·
Registered
R1250R
428 Posts
I stuck a speedo angel on mine. No glue. You just follow the instructions provided. You notice it when first fitted and if you look closely, but you soon forget it is there. It just protects the screen against scratches.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Just ordered a Speedo Angel tempered glass in Ultra Clear. Thanks for the recommendation, all.

·
Registered
R1250R
428 Posts
Mine wasn't glass, just a flexible protective plastic film. Came as a pack of three. Not sure I'll ever use the other two.

·
Registered
104 Posts
With spring around the corner and getting a little impatient to get back in the saddle, I'm starting to think of little, generally innocuous things I can order and install to the pass the time. There are several companies that offer each of these two items -- TFT screen tempered glass protector and, also, headlight film and acrylic protectors -- but am just wondering, generally speaking, are either of these two items really worth doing? Anybody have experience with either, and do they tend to cause more problems than they're worth (dulled TFT or dimmed headlight w/ 3M tape in the way, etc.)?
See my post on speedo angels weak sun / behind me dulling my tft with a reddish sheen - nano glass one

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
See my post on speedo angels weak sun / behind me dulling my tft with a reddish sheen - nano glass one
I haven't installed and ridden with mine yet (waiting for the winter deluge to stop), but I hope that won't be the case. Looking even at the pictures provided at the order page, it certainly looks like the nano glass version is the most reflective, as the other three look significantly clearer just on the webpage, so I'm not too surprised it gave you issues out in the wild. I'm hoping for much better luck with the Ultra Clear Tempered Glass.

·
Registered
104 Posts
I haven't installed and ridden with mine yet (waiting for the winter deluge to stop), but I hope that won't be the case. Looking even at the pictures provided at the order page, it certainly looks like the nano glass version is the most reflective, as the other three look significantly clearer just on the webpage, so I'm not too surprised it gave you issues out in the wild. I'm hoping for much better luck with the Ultra Clear Tempered Glass.
Ah I see , might need to go down that road myself - wasn’t so much of a reflection as such more the weak / above and behind sun combining to cause the issue - going to approach speedo angels and see what they say about it - I suppose it could be faulty ? Just a pity I didn’t stop and take a pic of it , next time I will do that 😀

1 - 14 of 14 Posts