BMW R1200R Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone! Upon riding away from the dealer with my new 2013 R1200R, I too have fallen victim to the faulty fuel strip sensor that has plagued BMW motorcycles for years. I took the suggestion of a member from another forum to file a complaint with the NHTSA:
https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/ivoq/index.cfm
If they receive enough complaints regarding the same issue they will investigate. If the only outcome is a recall, then at least owners who are faced with the fuel strip issue and aren't under warranty will have the service done free of charge.

Here's a link to just one recent NHTSA investigation regarding BMW motorcycles:
Safety Agency Investigating Fuel Leaks in BMW Motorcycles - NYTimes.com

BMW riders unite!!!!

·
Registered
800 Posts
I'm pretty sure I read the post of the guy with gas all over his pant leg... that's scary!

the article was dated November last year. Wonder how long it will take to get a recall issued if there is one... something to keep an eye on.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I called BMW North America today and was told they're not "aware" of the fuel strip issue since there's no recall. Yeah whatever. Hopefully if there are enough complaints a recall will be issued and BMW will address it differently than just replacing one bad fuel strip with another.

·
Premium Member
1,242 Posts
I called BMW North America today and was told they're not "aware" of the fuel strip issue since there's no recall. Yeah whatever. Hopefully if there are enough complaints a recall will be issued and BMW will address it differently than just replacing one bad fuel strip with another.
I called Nicole Kidman, and she said that she doesn't have any plastic surgery.

I'm filing a complain even knowing my bike's fuel strip hasn't fail, thatnks sweettooth for the links.

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
Yes, sweettoth, thanks for getting this ball rolling.
I started it over on the r1150r.org forum and after a couple of snide remarks, it's got TRACTION and people are filling it out also.
An important point made by one of the mods there, who's on board, btw, is that the same system should be listed on each filing as the problem area, The Fuel Propulsion system.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts