BMW R1200R Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2007 r1200r
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was riding last night on my 07 1200r and noticed a clunking sound from the rear. I pulled over thinking it was a flat and noticed the final drive boot out of place and the u joint on the drive shaft looks like it failed. Also it looks like the front part of the shaft ground into the swing arm. So I'm guessing that will need replacement Attached are some pics...what things should I be looking at for replacement and repair?

Thanks for any help. Would also appreciate any tips on how to avoid this for the future.

Jon
Automotive tire Fish Rim Automotive wheel system Silver
Tire Automotive tire Hood Wheel Grille

·
Mark – 2015 R1200R-LC Exclusive
6,696 Posts
That’s a bummer. When my rear joint failed, it scuffed the swingarm. The tech felt it wasn’t a structural issue and sent pics to BMW Motorrad Aust, who agreed. It would have to be very serious scuffing to be of concern.
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Rim Gas Automotive wheel system

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Gas Automotive wheel system Rim

·
Registered
2007 r1200r
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That's good to know! What all parts did you end up replacing when you did yours?

·
Registered
25 Posts
I would get aftermarket boot(s) and rebuildable driveshaft from BeemerBoneyard and fix it.
Removing the swingarm and replacing the shaft is actually pretty easy.
I had mine completely apart after I accidentally got the front boot wedged inside the swingarm while greasing the splines. During disassembly, I found the left pivot bolt was stripped and replaced that as well.

·
Registered
2007 r1200r
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Cool thanks, ill look into those for sure...

I took apart what I could and cleaned it so you guys can better see the damaged parts and the gouged swingarm. Looks the the u joint was quite dry and just decided it was time

Brown Wood Headgear Automotive tire Metal
Automotive tire Tire Fluid Fixture Rim
Tire Automotive tire Wheel Motor vehicle Tread
Automotive tire Rim Alloy wheel Gas Auto part
Vehicle Motorcycle Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Automotive tire

·
Registered
180 Posts
When my driveshaft failed, I replaced the driveshaft new from Germany (appx $800), both boots, the swing arm because i did not trust the gouging taken out of it, and if I recall, 2 clips that hold the driveshaft to the gearbox and the final drive. While in there, I meticulously cleaned and inspected the splines, lubed with moly paste (loctite LB 8012), lithium greased the boots, and changed the final drive fluid. In my haste, I ended up with 2 replacement swing arms (both used). One is on the bike and one is in the attic. If you’re in the market for a swing arm, let me know, as I have no need for an extra. Also, the Haynes manual provided me a detailed guide to do the job myself. —Wade

·
Registered
2007 r1200r
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Cool thanks for the detailed list...definitely need a Haynes manual to get the job going...and I sent you a message re the swingarm(y)

·
6,696 Posts
That’s barely even a flesh wound in comparison to mine, and certainly not of structural concern. I’d simply Dremel the burr flat and smooth.

Reactions: equ and r0ckrat

·
Registered
233 Posts
With hindsight being perfect, would you say there were any symptoms that were pointing towards deterioration or failure of the universal joint such as change is sound, feel or smell even when riding?

·
6,696 Posts
With hindsight being perfect, would you say there were any symptoms that were pointing towards deterioration or failure of the universal joint such as change is sound, feel or smell even when riding?
In retrospect, when mine failed I thought back and felt that there was a bit more slack in the drive train than I expected should be there but it hadn't really registered with me. Of course with a bit of foresight, I would have checked for any fore-aft play with the bike on the centre stand.

Reactions: sturgeon

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
In retrospect, when mine failed I thought back and felt that there was a bit more slack in the drive train than I expected should be there but it hadn't really registered with me. Of course with a bit of foresight, I would have checked for any fore-aft play with the bike on the centre stand.
In alternate universe retrospect, your parents would have been Lara and Jor-El and you would've had X-ray vision 😂

·
Dave in NE TN
1,339 Posts
Riding is my Fortress Of Solitude.

Cheers, Dave

·
Dave in NE TN
1,339 Posts
Glad your mirror came out OK. ;)

Cheers! Dave

·
Registered
69 Posts
Id take a file and stone and blend out the scuffs. Grease up the splines, a new drive shaft and boots , you
are good to go.. The left side swingarm pivot pin has the infamous (fing) red loctite that BMW loves to use on everything,
So heat it up according to manual before removing. I replaced the drive shaft on my friends 07 R1200R .People also drilled a drain hole on the bottom of the carden housing to let water out.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts