BMW R1200R Forum banner

21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Dave in NE TN
1,123 Posts
One Nav VI issue I and others have is the original and even some replacement batteries don't hold a charge if the bike's unridden more than a week or two. I believe there are other issues as well. I believe Garmin is/was replacing these batteries free of charge for some persistent owners if they're within five years of original purchase date, IIRC the Garmin specific batteries - natch - cost > $100 US.

I never had a single issue with the Nav IV or Nav V. The Nav V might actually be a sweet spot of sorts for the current range, although the Nav VI is supposedly a bit faster, brighter, contrastier, smartphonier, and has a few more fringe features that some will use.

Cheers, Dave

·
Registered
171 Posts
What is the Nav VI nightmare? This thread is getting interesting.
See the link to the YouTube link, schematic at 18:00. Not a problem for those without the tft screen. The Nav VI is due to be binned for future bikes and amen to that.

·
Registered
2015 R12 R
57 Posts
Actually the shaft itself doesn’t look too bad (no corrosion)
This is how mine looked after only 14000 kilometres, corroded solid to the end drive.
Off course just out of warranty period...
The dealership managed to get it loose but I don’t know how many force they used in order to get it off...
So it is possible that the joints have had a lot off force and future problems like yours could happen.
Do you know how your splines looked like? Were these corroded?
I can imagine that if the splines are corroded, the drive shaft has a fixed length which puts extra stress on the joints? View attachment 111258
About a month ago, I was reading several reports on dry splines and a couple of seized spline units. So opened it up...no rust, but no sign of useable lubricant either, so I lubed. Although the primary origin of this carden joint failure does not point to spline issues, my dry spline finding should encourage others to inspect periodically.

·
Mark – 2015 R1200R-LC Exclusive
6,287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
... my dry spline finding should encourage others to inspect periodically.
The Optimol paste for the spline is available here but not the BMW-specified product for sealing the rubber boots. What is everyone using? I’m tempted to use Penrite rubber grease - their recommendation for sealing gaiters/boots etc (and even as a tyre mounting lube!).

(Picture is for illustrative purposes – it is of the gearbox end of the shaft but is handy as it shows the two grease types and their application.)

·
Mark – 2015 R1200R-LC Exclusive
6,287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
At what mileage should we re-lube the splines? Or if low mileage after how many years?
There’s no BMW-specified service interval for the splines. Theoretically they shouldn’t need re-lubing but there have been numerous instances of insufficient lubrication and hence corrosion from moisture ingress and/or condensation. They certainly should be checked at some stage and then ‘periodically’ - re-lubing is at your discretion depending on what you find, or how cautious you are.

Reactions: BrooklynR12

·
Registered
2015 R12 R
57 Posts
There’s no BMW-specified service interval for the splines. Theoretically they shouldn’t need re-lubing but there have been numerous instances of insufficient lubrication and hence corrosion from moisture ingress and/or condensation. They certainly should be checked at some stage and then ‘periodically’ - re-lubing is at your discretion depending on what you find, or how cautious you are.
When at the FD oil change, because the rear wheel is removed, brake assembly cleared away, etc., you or your mechanic are in the perfect spot to remove the boot (careful not to damage it) and get to visual inspection of the spline setup. If dirty, dusty and/or rusty, clean up and lube. If water present (suspect a leaky or damaged boot), dry out and lube. If no useable lube present, lube. So I'm doing this inspection (and maintenance as needed) at FD oil change intervals... 12,000 mi. And don't forget to grease the boot for water protection. Doing this adds about 30 minutes to oil change, so not a big expense. Good quality moly-based lube (Honda had the best, but can't find the original formula), for spline lube and a hydrophilic grease compatible with rubber for the boot. Many versions of both out there. Better to do this than getting disabled out on a ride and maybe spending thousands on repairs...so I would say I'm definitely in the cautious category!

·
Registered
311 Posts
The Optimol paste for the spline is available here but not the BMW-specified product for sealing the rubber boots. What is everyone using? I’m tempted to use Penrite rubber grease - their recommendation for sealing gaiters/boots etc (and even as a tyre mounting lube!).
[
Glad to hear you didn't get a high speed lockup Panzemann, could have been a nasty incident.

I've used Mobil XHP 222 a couple of times which is a pretty sticky grease which has good water resistance, and seems to stay where it's put between services. I tried using ordinary red rubber brake grease from a tub once, but it disappeared from the joint faces quite quickly. I've also been tempted to use a weak rubbery adhesive but didn't fancy cleaning it off every 6000 miles.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Panzerman, glad it worked out and BMW stepped up. Now convince the factory to add lube and maybe even powdercoat the shaft prior to delivery...

Reactions: filterfool
21 - 29 of 29 Posts