BMW R1200R Forum banner
101 - 120 of 130 Posts

·
Registered
2020 R1250R HP
484 Posts
According to my local tech manager, both ends are floating, and why they don't require lube - if the bike is ridden on a regular basis, then they shouldn't freeze because they are always moving fore/aft. I'm just relaying what he said.
Max BMW's service told me there are zero spline issues on any modern BMW at all, they were all on antiques. Any concerns are just internet myths.

I think he will be right for me, I'm trading it before warranty runs out.

·
Mark – Moderator 2015 R1200R-LC Exclusive
2015 R1200R Exclusive
7,551 Posts
The Paralever geometry means the shaft doesn’t slide on the splines to any substantial extent. In fact the front one is held in location by a snap ring. I expect the geometry isn’t perfect, so there would be a tiny amount of back and forth sliding at the rear.

Reactions: Pale Roadster

·
2015 R1200R Exclusive
7,551 Posts
Max BMW's service told me there are zero spline issues on any modern BMW at all, they were all on antiques. Any concerns are just internet myths.

I think he will be right for me, I'm trading it before warranty runs out.
That’s odd advice from Max BMW given the evidence on this forum and elsewhere, and BMW Motorrad’s belated acknowledgment of the issue.
BM Motorcycles in Melbourne, for example (the image I posted earlier) regularly find examples of rusted splines on fairly new bikes, most of which have never seen rain let alone a creek crossing.

·
Registered
2020 R1250R HP
484 Posts
The Paralever geometry means the shaft doesn’t, in fact, slide on the splines. In fact the front one is held in location by a snap ring.
View attachment 116111
So it's hard to line up and you have to seat it blind, or do you need to break it all down to set the snap ring? And is the rear spline true zero movement, or just minimized near zero movement?

Any idea if the failures result from no or inadequate lube in Berlin, or lube washing out/failing in service?

·
Registered
2020 R1250R HP
484 Posts
That’s odd advice from Max BMW given the evidence on this forum and elsewhere, and BMW Motorrad’s belated acknowledgment of the issue.
BM Motorcycles in Melbourne, for example (the image I posted earlier) regularly find examples of rusted splines on fairly new bikes, most of which have never seen rain let alone a creek crossing.
I would certainly agree with that, I spoke to them early last summer, so before there was any acknowledgment I guess, his antique comment came up when I advised a friend's GS had a total failure of the splines and it was a 2011ish, which he called an antique. I guess if 2011 is antique i don't much want to discuss my age.

·
Registered
942 Posts
According to my local tech manager, both ends are floating, and why they don't require lube - if the bike is ridden on a regular basis, then they shouldn't freeze because they are always moving fore/aft. I'm just relaying what he said.
I believe the lube is more about preventing oxidation from making the shaft fuse onto either end…kind of why you use anti seize on spark plugs.

I guess if 2011 is antique i don't much want to discuss my age.
Based on BMW, once it’s out of warranty…it’s “antique.”

• Haha
Reactions: v-rider

·
2015 R1200R Exclusive
7,551 Posts
I understand it’s just hard to align. Checking out the manual would tell, but I’m too lazy to do that just for idle curiosity.
The seizing issue is due to lack of or minimal lubrication at factory assembly.

·
Dave in NE TN USA
1,641 Posts
I sold my 2018 R12GS Rallye Sport about a month ago to a great new owner who is a retired engineer. He's going through it now and installed new tires, battery & rear brake pads. He pulled the driveshaft and lubed the splines, and here's what he found.

As the original owner I can unequivocally state this bike only had four years and 14K relatively easy miles on it, so this was a surprise to me. HTH.

Cheers! Dave

·
Registered
58 Posts
Probably dry from the factory like my 2018RS.
Any moisture gets in there and bingo, rust.

Seems like even liberal application of anticorrosion spray would help prevent this problem. Since the splines don't slide in relation to each other, lubrication is not really necessary. Not sure why molypaste is needed, Boeshield and similar are quite tacky. Seems like it would be easier to pull the boots back and hose the splines down periodically instead of having to pull everything apart. That front end is a ***** to get back on the output shaft.

Reactions: v-rider

·
2015 R1200R Exclusive
7,551 Posts
… Since the splines don't slide in relation to each other, lubrication is not really necessary. Not sure why molypaste is needed, Boeshield and similar are quite tacky.
I haven’t had mine apart but I’d think there’d be a tiny amount of clearance between shaft splines and the final drive splines. The grease would cushion the impact between the two.
Also, there may be a minute sliding movement on that spline (the front being held in place by a snap-ring) to accommodate any imperfection in the Paralever geometry.
Just a theory…

·
Registered
7 Posts
Would you not want to grease the splines at both ends? I understand the challenge of aligning them. Do the rear splines do all the sliding for suspension movement?
The problem was that with the front joint loose, it was very difficult to get the rear free. If the rear is free, it is very easy to slide the drive shaft out. The reverse, not so much:eek::eek:

·
Registered
311 Posts
Hi Guy
Is this grease point install classed as an official BMW recall ? Is it likely to apply to only bikes that are serviced by an official Stealer ?
Whats the score if you either do your own servicing or use an independent garage ?

·
Registered
311 Posts
According to my local Steeler Bowkers Preston. It is not a recall it is a Quality enhancement and in the UK only applicable to K50, K51 & some K52 models that are likely to experience arduous use throughout their useful life.

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
Well, this is interesting... No mention of R or RS in the article.

440,000 units under recall for kardan shaft.

·
2015 R1200R Exclusive
7,551 Posts
Interesting that the focus is actually on the Cardan joints (rear in particular) rather than corroded splines - the former being my failure mode.

It doesn’t seem to exclude the R/RS in any way, but emphasises the GS vulnerability because of the type of riding environment, and similarly the RT because of extended rear suspension movement.

Anyone find a source of production numbers and model breakup of the LC, to confirm the 440,000 covers the R?

·
Registered
90 Posts
From my perspective the unconstrained spline connection at the rear serves somewhat as a telescopic connection commonly used in such mechanisms to compensate for minor changes in length due to rotation. This is described to some degree in this video
The changes in length are not large in our case so a seized rear spline coupling may well continue to work as we have seen, but the hertzian stresses in the yoke bearings will be certainly magnified. So I'm thinking that seized splines may very well lead to premature failure of the cardan joint bearings.

·
2015 R1200R Exclusive
7,551 Posts
“Roadster? Oh yeah, I think we have some of them in the range. Not a big seller though.”

I was fortunate last week to visit the BMW Museum and BMW World in Munich. The latter includes examples of current models, but of course no 1250R.

·
Dave in NE TN USA
1,641 Posts
There's probably closet R Guys at Motorrad but they take their GS or RT beards to work and keep the R they bought from some guy in a bike show parking lot for cash without paperwork (aka the bike show loophole) at home in a secure windowless shed with a towel under the door.

Cheers! Dave

101 - 120 of 130 Posts