BMW R1200R Forum banner
121 - 130 of 130 Posts

·
Registered
2020 R1250R HP
484 Posts
Seems BMW USA has issued a recall for LC GS and RT for rusted splines. They will add a vent to remove moisture from the housing. I'm not clear what they plan to do as far as the rusted/rusting splines. I looked and didn't see anything listed here yet, sorry if I'm going over old news. Nothing for the R/RS yet AFAIK.

Moderator note: This post and replies merged with Final Drive Problem thread.

·
Registered
2020 R1250R
29 Posts
Here is some info

"The German publication, Motorrad, says that the defects are also relevant to the R 1200 RT and R 1250 RT since 2013, but in the GS models the problem is exaggerated due to the design of the bike; specifically the angle of the swingarm kink between the cardan tunnel and the rear axle gearbox, as well as the longer suspension travel on the GS’ compared to the RTs".

·
Registered
2020 R1250R HP
484 Posts
Here is some info

"The German publication, Motorrad, says that the defects are also relevant to the R 1200 RT and R 1250 RT since 2013, but in the GS models the problem is exaggerated due to the design of the bike; specifically the angle of the swingarm kink between the cardan tunnel and the rear axle gearbox, as well as the longer suspension travel on the GS’ compared to the RTs".
I knew it couldn't be a mandatory recall, the logistics for a US mandatory recall considering the low number of units on the road compared to cars would require a high profile string of fatal accidents.

It sounds like a combo of BMW's failure to adequately lube them at assembly compounded by moisture entering due to inadequate sealing.

GS have more travel sure, my R has been out at a lowest temp of -9⁰f, a max of 103⁰f, in snow, driving rain with washed over roads etc. I know exactly one GS owner that exposes his GS to conditions as harsh. And we've all seen the pictures right here of Rs with the problem.

·
Registered
2020 R1250R in Pollux Metallic Matte
561 Posts
Since our 1200/1250 R and RS bikes share the same shaft-drive setup as the 1200/1250 GS, is there any reason to believe our bikes will not be part of this massive recall, even if this article (from which they presumably lifted from the official BMW notice) only mentions the GS and RT?

·
Registered
115 Posts
And, if R12Rs are eventually included, how would a non-recall campaign work for bikes that are not taken to dealer Service Departments for routine maintenance? I wonder if dealers would be authorized to do this check as a standalone item for those who do their own maintenance at home.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Hi all seemingly there is a bmw recall of gs and some rt models for a valve to be retrofitted and checks for wear / replace of parts announced - soooo is the r subject to this also - anyone contacted there bmw dealer about this yet ??

·
Registered
344 Posts
Just found this on the fema site I’m phoning my dealer shortly to check my bikes build date - I’d advise others to do the same - and as an aside - this is quite a frightening site when you read other manufacturers problems and the wording on potential results are very watered down - well worth a read if you are buying /own any make / model really - and also this from another site - both specially list the r1250r
Font Material property Screenshot Number Document
Font Material property Screenshot Number Document

·
Registered
344 Posts
Ok so just phoned my local dealer - he says it’s only gs- rt authority bikes at present due to suspension angles , no mention of r models yet , then stated which he thought wasn’t right as potentially all have have same / similar design . So I’m back to work tomorrow and being a car mechanic will be sure to check my shafts tomorrow night with my fibre optic camera gizmo asap - will advise of results 😀🏍

121 - 130 of 130 Posts