BMW R1200R Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So in about a week I will be picking up my Blue, low suspension with comfort seat R1200R with an assortment of modest farkles, Ztechnic sport tour screen, Moulen up and back risers, engine guards, Touratech hand guards, throttlemeister lock and probably a bit more as I call the sales man every day with "one more thing".

Holding on the bags to really see what I want. The BMW bags are much bigger than I use even with the city lids.......so maybe Givi, maybe SW Motech, Maybe whatever I find in the for sale column at a great price.

If my 09 Vstrom isn't sold quickly I will defarkle and just trade or consign at selling dealer. Prefer to sell whole except then I would have to fly to ride the RR home, almost exact 600 miles.........ready for first service.

Thanks for all your thoughts and recommendations.

BTW, Gene at Mathias BMW in New Philadelphia, OH has been great, knowledgeable and patient and I believe after calling a few other places very fair on price.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Congrats! I went with the Classic but love the blue.

And I did get the OEM side bags. I agree that the OEM sidebags are a bit big, so I also got an OEM tank bag, on the theory that I will only use the side bags for the overnight trips.

·
Registered
1,633 Posts
What about the V Strom made you leave it for a R12R?
Were there any issues with your bike or the model itself?
The Wee Stroms always interested me.

John

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
About the Vstrom

I have had some 30+ bikes since the mid-late 60's. Two Brits, Two Germans, many metrics and two Italian. All Fun, All Good, even the bad ones. Most i have kept for just a few months. Get rid of the itch until the irresistible urge came back. Sometimes a test drive would cure it.

In the late 70's I did have a Vespa 200 two-stroke for nearly 60K miles over two years.

The Vstrom I have had for nearly four years of incredible riding experiences. I never got into the adventure set I thought. Two top heavy for my short stature. (many Vstrom owners claim in jest they have a Japanese 1200GS at half the price). What I have found after $2k remediating the cheap suspension, another $500 on a Russell Day Long Seat and another $1,500 in stuff it is a remarkable bike that just needed some help to be realized. I have comfortably run 500 mile days, often, whether open road, tight twisties or the occasional gravel. The road ride is good, the twisties as good as it gets and off-road as good as ones skill and/or guts. Many of these bikes have enjoyed round the world journeys and 100-200,000 miles with only wear item replacements. I cannot fault it in any way, in fact, I can only brag about it's reliability, economy both in MPG and general maintenance. To date I have never had such an enjoyable M/C experience which is why I have kept it so long.

I am just ready for another experience. I keep my work trucks till they die, motorcycles till I get another one.

There is no reason I have to get rid of it, except my wife says one bike only, so I will be selling this week or trading next week after defarkling.

·
Premium Member
2,060 Posts
Welcome. Good choice. The BMW panniers are huge, but worth it if you need the space.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
vstrom and panniers

Thanks, Drdave......I just don't know what I would do with the space!

Rereading my previous post about the Vstrom. I felt I had to ask myself why I am changing, what do I expect to gain?

Simple! Torque, lower COG and a new experience!

·
Registered
5,105 Posts

There is no reason I have to get rid of it, except my wife says one bike only, so I will be selling this week or trading next week after defarkling.
K'man - are you getting rid of the bike or the wife 'after de-farkling'?

And pray - innocent question - why are you identified as 'Kangarooman' - not to many 'roos around your neck of the woods I'd imagine?!

L of S

Oz (real kangaroo territory)

:001_smile:

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
K'man - are you getting rid of the bike or the wife 'after de-farkling'?

And pray - innocent question - why are you identified as 'Kangarooman' - not to many 'roos around your neck of the woods I'd imagine?!

L of S

Oz (real kangaroo territory)

:001_smile:
My wife is forever fortunately, although the first one wasn't (fortunately).

Many years on different forums and nobody has ever asked me the "kangarooman" question. In addition to building bridges for private property I have sculpted in iron and sometimes other materials at times. In 1974 I sculpted a Kangaroo out of iron, about 5' tall and 8' long front of pouch to end of tail. She makes a fine chair among other things. I was given the nickname "kangarooman" and it has stuck or been given many times over in my travels with the "Roo" atop the house with Xmas lights, in the middle of a desert bonfire and other stories.

Thanks for asking. Now to L.O.S. Is Peter O'Toole your neighbor?

·
Registered
5,105 Posts
Thanks for asking. Now to L.O.S. Is Peter O'Toole your neighbor?
Sadly no - but thereby hangs a tale (to respond to your tale of a tail).

I am a member of the Ulysses Club here in Oz (for over 50's social bikers: motto 'Growing Old Disgracefully').

As a newer member at one stage and as people were forever getting my not-all-that-common name wrong - Lance: Les: ect - I took to intoducing myself as "you've heard of Lawrence of Arabia - well, I'm Lawrence". A fun-filled female memberess overheard me one day and snorted "hah, more like Lawrence of Suburbia", immediately followed by a shocked/ ashamed look, hand over mouth, and "oh, I do hope I haven't offended you!".

I should have strung her along, but told her that I loved it, and to this day my bike and helmet each carry small stickers reading 'Lawrence of Suburbia', which often promotes some friendly chat, and I retain the monniker on various bike-related web-sites!! Happy daze!

L of S

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Sadly no - but thereby hangs a tale (to respond to your tale of a tail).

L of S
So I am confused, "The Land Of Oz"???? Are you in Kansas or Australia?

Great story, my wife leaning over my shoulder laughing! Well I have been to Kansas and my wife spent a year in the 80's bicycling Australia and New Zealand.

Best to you and the other Disgracefuls and safe riding.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts