BMW R1200R Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all.

Took delivery of my 90th anniversary bike on Saturday. It was time to upgrade from the 2006 Multistrada 620. I was looking for a naked standard with handling similar to the Multi but with more power. Seriously considered the Triumph Tiger and I did have my eye on the R12R for some time but never liked the color offerings. I really like the looks of a black European bike so when I saw the 90 year edition, I knew I had to have it.

Weather was great here Saturday and Sunday so I got nearly all the initial break-in riding done on the back roads and highways near the house.

First impression was that it was gonna take a little getting used to the boxer engine's left-right torque. It was especially noticeable to me on downshifting, I guess after being used to the Ducati's L-twin all these years and a Honda V4 before that. But after a couple of days I think I'm kinda becoming endeared to it.

Next impression- this bike handles better than anything I've ever ridden before. Just smooth as can be on all types of roads. Braking is tremendous. What a pleasure to maneuver this thing through anything you can throw at it. I'm actually a little worried that it might be too easy to ride; you know, a little vanilla. But then I grin and think how fun it is to just motor on the open road with this machine at any speed.

Bottom line: I love the motorcycle-- looks awesome, rides great. I look forward to tweaking the bike to my tastes and to many years of Bavarian exhilaration of the two-wheeled kind.

So anyway, I've already gotten several good tips from this forum and I'm looking forward to engaging the numerous informative threads.

·
Premium Member
2,873 Posts
Congratulations! on breaking in the new Anniversary model,
and Welcome to the R1200R Forum Drew. I predict you are gonna' love both.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Congrats and welcome. Sounds like you're on track to be in love very shortly :)

The bike is very understated but it is awesome to ride and does everything well from commuting, to Sun riding to a nice long road trip. Happy and safe riding.

·
Premium Member
2,023 Posts
Welcome, the boxer engine and shaft drive do take a little time to get used to. But they give the bike a definite character, something most other modern bikes lack.

Just waiting for the better weather.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts