BMW R1200R Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

Got my new to me 2011 R1200R last week and had my first longish ride on Sunday. Bike is like new and had less than 1300kms on it. When I first picked up the bike from the dealer and rode home, it handled poorly. The bike seemed to turn slow and the front felt heavy. I thought this was how the bike rode having never owned a boxer before. Went for another quick ride to test it on the highway and the handling wasn't what I was expecting based on the reviews. Went home and checked the tire pressure. Front was less than 20psi after highway riding. Rear was at 30psi. Pumped it up and went for a ride on Sunday. Handling is much better and now turns in the way I expected. Couldn't believe the dealer did an inspection on the bike and didn't check the tire pressure.

So far I really like the bike. Been riding for over 25 years on mainly sport bikes though my last bike was a cruiser. These are my first impressions of the bike. Solid build quality and feels like I can go anywhere with it. I have the Ztechnic windshield which gives decent protection but also gives some buffeting. Boxer engine vibrates more than an in-line 4 or any other engine confirguration I've had. When I twist the throttle hard in first the bike wants to twist a bit which I understand is normal for the boxer engine. Seat is not the best as I was squirming after about 2 hours. A Corbin seat may be required in future. The exhaust sound is little too quiet and I am now considering an Akropovic or Leo Vince slip on. Is it worth it to spend the extra cash for the Akropovic? I love the saddle bags. They're so easy to remove and bike looks good with or without them. Really like the ESA as well and the ability to change suspension setting on the fly. Crash bars are on the way as is a Haynes manual.

PC

·
Premium Member
1,797 Posts
Tarbender. Welcome! And, yes, the bike would suck with 20psi. For the Ztech, try that Wonderlich windshield extension clip on. Works pretty well. For the seat, consider either an Air-Hawk or a Freedom-Air sport inflatable. Either one will make a huge difference in comfort without a terminal walletectomy. Of course, if you get the seat, tell us about it!

As far as the Arkopovic or Leo Vince? Hey, what price nice noise? Mainly that's what you get. :) Nothing wrong with that; but if I were going to spend a grand plus on that bike, I'd be putting it into a pair of Ohlins.

Keep us posted on your new toy. Everyone here is an R-addict. Once you light it up, you'll never be the same . . :)

·
Premium Member
2,873 Posts
Congratulations on 2011 Roadster acquisition,& WELCOME to the Forum.
With ESA and only 1300 kilometers, you don't need new shocks just yet.
Ohlins, Wilbers. There are many good options for you when the OEM Showa units are toast. If you simply add an aftermarket slip-on, there is not that much difference in performance gains, but the exhaust note is different, and it's lighter. Akropovic or Leo Vince? Your choice.
Post up some photos and show us your farkles and bling Tarbender.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Which Ztech ?

Hey TB,
Which Ztech ?
Z2443 dark tint low ?
Z2442 Mid height ?
Z2444 Tall ?
I have the Tall one and it does give me a lot of noise and buffeting.
I am considering cutting it down to the hheioght of the Mid ht
I am in TO as well.

·
Premium Member
2,057 Posts
Hi, welcome to the site. I think a call to the dealer is needed. Tyre pressure that low could quite easily caused an accident on a bend. A replacement exhaust won't improve performance much but will improve the sound and looks, all depends if you have any spare cash lying around!!! I fitted a Ztechnik screen but added an MRA spoiler to it and it cuts out most of the noise. Let us know how you get on with your modifications - I still can't get used to using the work 'farkle'!!!

·
Registered
5,105 Posts
- I still can't get used to using the work 'farkle'!!!
Same here, Dave - and I see the word used a lot on various Forums. Where did it originate? I cannot bring myself to use it any more than referring to a bike as a 'she'!

L of S

(still awaiting an update from Nippy Normans [UK] on the status of my W'lich 'Trophy' fairing, ordered on May 7th.)

·
Premium Member
2,873 Posts
+1 What Dave said. The MRA X-creen will give you much less noise. Calm.
MRA Spares

Good for riding on those colder days in TO. Try it B4 you cut the Z-Tec.

Wunderlich lip is another good choice, but it is smaller. drDave said you'll lose points for not looking as "cool" but you'll glide smoothly.
Wind Deflector R1200 R | BMW Wunderlich America
MRA & Wunderlich are both German companies, I think. Don't quote me.
You can mount either adjustable lip on the top of the Z-Tec 2444
quick-n-easy without drilling holes or damaging the screen.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
RSAG - I got the Z2443 Dark Tint low (i think). It's not bad but I want to try it with the smaller sport screen. BMW is supposed to get it for me from the original owner.

I took the bike back to dealer thinking it was a slow leak since it seemed to lose about 8lbs in 2 days. They checked it over but couldn't find the leak. It might be that I tightened the valve stem screw before taking it in which may have solved the problem. Will monitor it for the next few days.

Mounted the SW Motard engine guards yesterday. The top screw was a pain to get on but the guards look good and sturdy. A little heavy perhaps.

Anybody have the top case rack and rails to sell?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Z2444 Cut

Morning Tarbender,
I just cut down my Z2444 to the height of the Z2442. Will test and see how it feels.
I suspect that I may end up with the recommended MRA spoiler-thingy.
BTW - I do not ride on June 4th's ever. Many moons ago I crashed 2 years in a row on that date. Sooooo a bit of superstition has kicked in.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Sorry but those spoiler things just do not look good on the bike. Saw two of them on the street today. I'll either live with the buffeting or go naked.

·
Registered
1,631 Posts
OT...from Urban Dictionary
farkle

accessory.

The word is generally accepted to mean a combination of "function" and "sparkle", hence, farkle.

Motorcycle enthusiasts may install accessories, called farkles (also spelled farkel), to customize their machine.

And they ARE feminine. You need to ride more to know that.:001_tongue:
First was Stella! and then was Blanche.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Shortened Ztech Windshield

Hello All, Tarbender,
The cut Ztech is better for me. Much less buffeting and roar. Even my wife says it has improved her environment on the back. I am going to knock another inch off though. Keep you posted.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Hello All, Tarbender,
The cut Ztech is better for me. Much less buffeting and roar. Even my wife says it has improved her environment on the back. I am going to knock another inch off though. Keep you posted.
Please post some pics once completed, thanks.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Shortened Ztech Windshield - Part II

Hello All,
I have shortenend my Ztech Z2444 screen for a second time !
Started at 22" Original (too loud, too rumbly, too isolating)
1st cut to 18" (less loud, less rumbly, more engaging)
2nd cut to 16" (still 2" higher thant the Z2443 sport screen)
The results are for me excellent ! :001_rolleyes:
Way less buffeting
Way less wind noise ..........but still really good protection.
It is not as quiet as screenless but I do think I have hit the optimal balance.
Next step will be - for longer trips and colder weather - the MRA or Wunderlich spoiler.
It finally feels like a motorycle again !!!!!
Pictures will follow

·
Premium Member
3,991 Posts
And they ARE feminine. You need to ride more to know that.:001_tongue:
First was Stella! and then was Blanche.
Well thats fine if your a guy, I'm a gal, It just does not sit right with me to call my bike a girls name and ride it.

My sister inlaw has named her bike 'Stella' she does not seem to mind this, though I've never discussed the implications about this with her...she is blonde (dyed! for goodness sake) she most likely has not thought about it.

·
Registered
168 Posts
mods

since it's a thread about accessories and mods.

my '09 has ohlins installed after the oem shocks gave out after 15k miles, staintune exhaust (refined and logoless!), and a super comfortable corbin seat.

as for wind screens, mine has the mid level touring screen, just enough to block the wind and not RUIN the looks of the bike

enjoy

1 - 17 of 17 Posts