BMW R1200R Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2016 R1200R approaching it’s 12k mile service. I’ll be doing my own servicing of the bike and wondering what you all recommend as far as oil goes. For those of you who do your own maintenance, what do you use for oil? Do you stick with the recommended BMW Motorrad Advantec Ultimate, or another option with the same specs?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
5,182 Posts
I’ve used Castrol Power1 Racing for a long time and would normally say just use any oil that meets the spec listed in the handbook, but have been convinced on another oil thread to use Motul 7100 5W40. That’ll go in at my next service - 90,000 km.

Reactions: RevHemphill

·
Registered
171 Posts
PZMann , have you given up on the wonderlust BMW Advantech snake oil for the Panzer?

·
Super Moderator
5,182 Posts
Never used it. My F800 manual recommended BP fuels and the RSD electronic manual has similar references (on service sheet printouts I think) so I figure there’s likely a tie with BP (Castrol) lubricants. I’ve trusted Castrol on many other vehicles/bikes in the past so had no reason to think BMW lubricant was any better.

·
Registered
28 Posts
depending on your ambient temps a spec 15-50 for hotter areas or a xxW40 for cooler, use spec oil + filters for warranty + keep records!!

·
Registered
23 Posts
+1 for Rotella. I've used Rotella T6 in various motors over the past 10 or so years and well over 150,000 miles with no oil related problems.

·
Premium Member
14 Posts
I would and use only BMW breastmilk and filter.
Why not use BMW parts, reasons You buy/ bought a BMW bike is for the
German technology in metallurgy and design or this is just my reason?
Stick with mamma BMW after all she gave birth to it.
Sabotage Oooooooiiiiillll TREAD

·
Registered
35 Posts
That's what the sales pitch is to get you to overpay for re-branded oil. As long as it meets the spec and is a quality brand it will be fine.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Why not use BMW parts, reasons You buy/ bought a BMW bike is for the
German technology in metallurgy and design or this is just my reason?
Naw, I bought mt R1250R becuase out of the bikes I test rode it was the one I liked the most. The three year warranty helped, as while most Japanese bikes are almost bullet proof, I'm not so sure about BMW. I'm hoping they have it sussed with the watercooled boxer.
As my bike is under warranty, engine oil will be whatever my dealer uses. But out of warranty I'd just check the spec and get whatever oil meets the spec for the best price. BMW do not manufactuer engine oil. Shop around.

·
Premium Member
563 Posts
Though I've done all my own oil changes, I used BMW's mysterious Advantec while the bike was under warranty (I also took pictures of the process just in case!). Since then I've used Castrol Power1 synthetic.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Maybe it is different in the USA, but here in the UK, if you don't use the authorised dealer for servicing, it's then pretty much at their discretion as to whether they honour any subsequent warranty claims.

·
Registered
566 Posts
Maybe it is different in the USA, but here in the UK, if you don't use the authorised dealer for servicing, it's then pretty much at their discretion as to whether they honour any subsequent warranty claims.
Yeah, the US has a law prohibiting that nonsense. So long as you can document you did the required service, the dealer/manufacturer would have to prove you didn't do it to deny warranty coverage.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Yeah, the US has a law prohibiting that nonsense.
Well the UK has such laws also. In fact I think it comes under European law. But basically you can take your vechicle anywhere for a service, as long as you use approved parts and the work is carried out by a suitably qualified person. Everything needs to be fully documented. That is the law. Seems simple - eh?

The problem is the offical appointed importer appoints approved retailers, who have to provide facilites and servicing to the importers standards - which is dictated by BMW in Germany. The retailer must also have its mechanics trained by/or to the importers standards. The dealer invests in training and equipment, and does so not only to meet the standards set down by the importer and BMW, but to make money on servicing and repairs. It is an investment, and key to their buisiness.

The easy get out for the dealer on a warranty claim if you do not use their facilities, is one, documentation - you better have documented every aspect of the service. Two, suitably qualified - BMW can argue and get out of the claim if you, or the person you used for the service is not BMW trained. Three, equipment, you need to be able to demonstrate you have carried out the appropriate diagnosic checks and have the ability to carry out offical BMW software and firmware upgrades.
Finally, it is all very well what the law says. But the importer and dealers will want to protect their investment and income. Good luck as an individual trying to enforce the law on powerful big buisinesses like importers and franchised dealers (who are often multi brand car and bike dealers)

I suspect, the situation in reality may be the same in the UK and USA, and right across the globe.
Personally, I think forking out for a few fixed price services at your Motorrad dealer is worth it to gurantee you should have no warranty issues should you need to claim.

·
Super Moderator
5,182 Posts
Even though mine was one of the first year's LC Roadsters, I figured the drive train was well enough sorted with GS models to be very unlikely to have an issue that could be traceable to the quality of servicing. Hence I assessed the risk of needing a warranty claim that could be denied due to non-dealer servicing was minimal and have done all my servicing after the free 1000 km dealer check. More likely was the prospect of a peripheral item or sensor failing, and with a GS911, diagnosis is facilitated.

If there was a fault that BMW Motorrad denied warranty on, then I would have pursued it through Australian Consumer Law, under which warranty provisions are secondary. For this purpose in particular, my service records are meticulous.

Having said all that, when I bought the bike the three year warranty had yet to come in (I think it was only 12 months) so I wasn't risking much. The bike now has around 84,000 km on the clock without issue, so it worked for me. I still have a good relationship with the dealer, despite not being a cash cow for their service department, popping in now and then to kick tyres. I expect they live in hope of selling me a new bike one day. 😅

·
Registered
102 Posts
In the US, there have been enough fights over attempting to deny warranty claims that there is plenty of precedent in favor of the shade tree or home mechanic.

I, unfortunately in some ways, do not have a warranty on a low-mileage bike, as it was 4 years old - so I don't have to worry as much, and will just do my own maintenance. Probably will keep using Rotella T6, as it performed well in my SV650. And is cheap enough to allow for a shorter change interval if I choose. I might even start sending samples periodically to Blackstone, to see if 3, 4 or 6k miles is the best option...

1 - 17 of 17 Posts