BMW R1200R Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, just recieved a 2008 r1200r. I would like to perform maintenance myself to save money. What quality service manual (PDF, DVD, Book) would you suggest?

Can you derect me to a link to buy it please.

As you can see on my sig, I'm totally new to BMW, any advice will be appreciated

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
1,242 Posts
Just go to Amazon and look for "BMW Motorcycle DVD Repair Manual R1200R"

BMW Genuine Repair Manual. This is published by BMW Motorcycles, so you have the peace of mind knowing the information is complete and accurate.
Clear pages, bright pictures and diagrams. Print pages as you need them, enlarge without distortion. Search the entire service manual in seconds.
Required systems: Windows 2000-XP

Hope this helps and congrats on your Beemer

·
Premium Member
2,873 Posts
2008 Service Manual

BMW R1200 Twins Repair Manual covering models from 2004 thru 2009
Hardcover: 336 pages
Part Number: 4598
ISBN-13: 978 1 84425 801 7
Product Dimensions: 8 ½ by 11 inches

Haynes Manuals ARE available online (lifetime) for your 2008 Roadster!

BMW DVD Repair Manual : ( 01597721684 was superseded by 01597721691 )

0101 59 7 721 691DVD REPAIR MANUALS R MODELS K2X STREET - MULTILANGUAGE1 $108.54

:happybday: Zblip2, Don't know if it's your birthday or not, but anyone who gets a free R1200R deserves a funny hat and a cake.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Do some of you guys do your own maintenance or you leave it to the bmw mechanic?

·
Premium Member
862 Posts
I bought the one for dual-OHC models (2010-2012)...too lazy to look up the ISBN right now. I'm getting it more for information than anything else...I don't have a garage to work on my bike but I do want to be familiar with what the BMW mechanics are doing when I take her in.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the Info guys!

·
Premium Member
2,873 Posts
Do some of you guys do your own maintenance or you leave it to the bmw mechanic? Oh, YES!
The BMW dealer fees will very quickly cure you of the urge to take it in unless it's under warranty, or you know it's way over your head to repair.
DIY Oil & Filter changes can save you lots of time and $$$.
Spark plugs & brake pads are relatively easy.
It's good to find out more about how your bike works.

I bought the one for dual-OHC models (2010-2012)...
ISBN 978 1 84425 925 0

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Do some of you guys do your own maintenance or you leave it to the bmw mechanic? Oh, YES!
The BMW dealer fees will very quickly cure you of the urge to take it in unless it's under warranty, or you know it's way over your head to repair.
DIY Oil & Filter changes can save you lots of time and $$$.
Spark plugs & brake pads are relatively easy.
It's good to find out more about how your bike works.

I bought the one for dual-OHC models (2010-2012)...
ISBN 978 1 84425 925 0
On all my previous bikes (about 10 of them) I did my own maintenance, but these were old eighties bikes. I would rebuild carbs, change clutch springs, open up motors to change cam shafts, heck, I even rebuilt an engine out of parts in a box! Is it more complicated on a BMW? My boss says dont touch it, let the pros do it, but I dont want to throw my money away, if I can do it myself...

·
Premium Member
2,873 Posts
The Haynes manual has degree of difficulty advisory. From 1 to 5 wrench marks. You can read the description, check the photos, check necessary parts cost, and decide for yourself before cracking the gasket seal. Sounds like you are already experienced at many DIY tasks. The electronics on the BMW are much easier to leave to the dealer with his diagnostic computer. But the mechanical stuff is not that much different than ther bikes. Many owners replace clutches, change shaft seals, fix final drives, and lube clutch splines themselves. You'll probably find a wealth of information online IMO Some BMW MOA and Adventure Rider members are especially mechanically inclined. Get your hands greasy.

·
Premium Member
335 Posts
The Haynes manual has degree of difficulty advisory. From 1 to 5 wrench marks. You can read the description, check the photos, check necessary parts cost, and decide for yourself before cracking the gasket seal. Sounds like you are already experienced at many DIY tasks. The electronics on the BMW are much easier to leave to the dealer with his diagnostic computer. But the mechanical stuff is not that much different than ther bikes. Many owners replace clutches, change shaft seals, fix final drives, and lube clutch splines themselves. You'll probably find a wealth of information online IMO Some BMW MOA and Adventure Rider members are especially mechanically inclined. Get your hands greasy.
As for repair manuals, Haynes is the way to go IMHO; the BMW repair dvd leaves much to be desired.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks everybody for the replies!:cowboy:

·
Registered
58 Posts
I wish Clymer made a manual for these bikes. I have both the Clymers and Haynes for my airhead and never use the Haynes. It just seems so general and non specific. I don't have the DVD. The $100+ price has scared me away. I can do all routine maintenance except reset that darn service reminder. With money you save on dealer service, you could buy the GS-911 code reader and reset it yourself. Plus you might have a little more information if you do get it a code and need to take it into the dealer.

·
Registered
489 Posts
Work shop manual

I've been reading reviews of the Haynes manual, it sounds impressive and is only about $50 dollars, however the R1200R manual they offer only covers up until 2012. Can anyone tell me if there are many differences between the 2012 and 2013 R1200Rs' as mine is a 2013 model.

Cheers

·
Premium Member
2,873 Posts
Haynes Manual

Minor changes. They eliminated the fuel & oil temp. gauges. Engine should be the same.
Haynes probably won't have another edition out before the water-cooled models are released, so you may as well get the Haynes 4925 book for DOHC.
ISBN 978 1 84425 925 0
BMW R1200 DOHC Twins
'10 to '12

BMW DVD Repair Manual : ( 01597721684 was superseded by 01597721691 )
Report this image

0101 59 7 721 691 DVD REPAIR MANUALS R MODELS K2X STREET - MULTILANGUAGE1 $108.54

·
Registered
489 Posts
BMW disc

Does anyone have any opinion of the factory disc? Is it comprehensive? With lots of illustrations and how tos'

Shishka

·
Registered
97 Posts
Does anyone have any opinion of the factory disc? Is it comprehensive? With lots of illustrations and how tos'

Shishka
I bought the Haynes on Amazon, read it cover to cover. My 2012 is under warranty so I have not had a need to plead with manual gods to save my bacon yet. The Haynes is too generic and the pictures don't inspire confidence.
Got the BMW DVD, it is far more detailed. It requires patience to find the exact procedure on the DVD (it has to be run from the DVD, can't be installed on a hard drive), but once you find what you are looking for, I think it is a much better explained and detailed guide. More importantly, it has illustrations instead of fuzzy picutres that are very well marked up with what needs to be done. Also, any section is printable. I did use the DVD to install heat shield on side cases, great description, illustration and torque values for every screw on the DVD, no mention of it in the Haynes. PM if you want a specific section printed, scanned and emailed.

There is a rumor that copies are available on eBay for a few bucks from Eastern Europe, but I wouldn't have first hand knowledge.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I bought the Haynes on Amazon, read it cover to cover. My 2012 is under warranty so I have not had a need to plead with manual gods to save my bacon yet. The Haynes is too generic and the pictures don't inspire confidence.
Got the BMW DVD, it is far more detailed. It requires patience to find the exact procedure on the DVD (it has to be run from the DVD, can't be installed on a hard drive), but once you find what you are looking for, I think it is a much better explained and detailed guide. More importantly, it has illustrations instead of fuzzy picutres that are very well marked up with what needs to be done. Also, any section is printable. I did use the DVD to install heat shield on side cases, great description, illustration and torque values for every screw on the DVD, no mention of it in the Haynes. PM if you want a specific section printed, scanned and emailed.

There is a rumor that copies are available on eBay for a few bucks from Eastern Europe, but I wouldn't have first hand knowledge.
Thank you for Your Pleasure's
I have bought 2009 R12r 1 month ago. And i was'nt have any repair or maintenance manual to do with it. Can you share ( or sell ) me that manual ? I hope receive by PDF or Image file. Im live in Hanoi Viet Nam , so difficult to receive DVD or Printed...

·
Super Moderator
5,155 Posts
Hi @Daigoinvest – see my 'Conversation' message to you (c;lick on your avatar on the menu bar to open Conversations).

1 - 19 of 19 Posts