BMW R1200R Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

Premium Member
Discussion Starter #1
Just returned from my first proper outing on the R. Only 1000 miles but enough to know I've definitely made the right choice. The trip was out to my holiday home in Normandy, France so I know the roads quite well. The R1200R is vastly superior to my old R1100s. I was going round long sweeping bends with so much more confidence, the tyres just seemed to be stuck to the road. The seat was good for 320 miles in a day, and the tank range excellent, 250 miles between fill ups. The only 'bad' thing was I found out how useless the mirrors are!!!!!!!

I have a Vtechnik screen I will be fitting soon and the only other change I will be making is fitting some kind of rack to the top box so I can carry a little extra.

Registered
Sounds like a great trip. Please post pics if you have any :)

I just installed Wunderlich mirror extenders and will be taking the bike out for the first time tomorrow since hibernation began on Dec 2nd. The extenders lift the mirrors one inch and push them out 1.5 inches. A side benefit, they supposedly eliminate any bike vibration in the mirrors. We'll see.

Premium Member
Discussion Starter #3
Not so sure about making the bike wider. I also commute into London and it's wide enough already!!! The mirrors are almost OK, just blurry at speed.

Premium Member
Dave,
On blurry mirrors; some say yes, some say no. I am in the no group; however, this is not to say that my mirrors were at no time blurry. They were when I first got the bike. I had no idea how it was supposed to run and attributed the blur to a characteristic of the boxer engine. However, at my 600 mile service, the tech told me that my throttle bodies were out of sync and that he had fixed the problem- Presto. No more blur and a much smoother ride. The ride stayed smooth, and my mirrors blur free until, one day, 12,000 miles later, the blur was back. A bit of investigation uncovered unbalance wheels. I had thrown a weight on the front rim. Once balanced, the blur was gone. I suggest that you have your ride checked for similar issues. One other piece of info: I have a Classic. The chrome mirrors are oval, wider and, perhaps, heavier than than the round black mirrors on the other models. I have noted anecdotally that most Classic owners seem to be in the no group. It could be the mirrors. Since I commute on the roads and streets in New York City, I, also, don't want my mirrors to be any wider. You may consider replacing the stock mirrors with the chrome ones. They are sold as accessories on non Classic R12r's.

Premium Member
I guess I just haven't really paid that much attention to the actual vibration of the mirrors. I use them all the time, but since it doesn't really bother me I would have to say I'm in the "no" group.

Premium Member
Discussion Starter #6
las, the engine is super smooth at the moment and there's no vibration through the bars or foot pegs. It may be something I'll just put up with. As I go over there quite a lot I don't take may photos...

Premium Member
Great shots; and the blue on your ride looks outstanding.
If everything is smooth engine and chassis wise, you might try the Classic oval mirrors; but, you do have to wonder what makes the mirrors blur if the rest of the bike is smooth?

Premium Member
Great ride post! Thanks. Enjoyed that.:goodjob:

Premium Member
Discussion Starter #10
A few Leffes were consumed - all in the interest of science of course - we just had to try all the different flavours.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts