BMW R1200R Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2012 R1200R, K27, Light-grey Metallic
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am aware of the removal thread, but I am more interested in a repair than in removal of this valve.
I dismantled the flappervalve housing and gave it a therapy with some good rust dissolver. It came lose just a tiny bit, but still not enough to make it turn by hand. It does with the help of some pliers, but with finger pressure there still is no movement.

Any ideas on how to get this thing moving again?

Fluid Liquid Plastic bottle Paint Gas

·
Registered
799 Posts
Add some metal polish, and keep twisting it, then flush all the polish out? Just a guess....

·
Registered
2020 R1250R HP w/sport & 2019 R nineT SCR
50 Posts
Try blasting with WD-40 or GT-85 and a tooth brush at the internal and external rotation pivots. Also make certain you are trying to rotate using the external controller, as there are natural stops/limits built into the system. Hence the 2-wire pull-pull setup, since the system is sprung to default open like you have currently pictured.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
On a Dutch forum I got the advise to:

• have it soak in cleaning vinegar for a day/night
  • soak it in Dot5.1 fluid
  • if it still is not loose enough, lubricate with acetone multiple times
  • Afterwards lubricate the flap with ceramic grease or graphite.

I am at stage 1 at the moment, I will follow up.

·
Registered
2020 R1250R HP w/sport & 2019 R nineT SCR
50 Posts
My .02euros...

I would avoid any use of brake fluid for cleaning. Brake cleaner or a parts cleaner solution is better.

I would opt for graphite for any internals of the tube, as ceramic grease would also then allow any exhaust particles to build up again along the actuator/pivot rod. Ceramic grease is better for external applications, but also will need some cleaning/refresh especially in your moist Dutch weather conditions.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I ran through all soaking stages above, but to no avail. Some told me that if I remove the flap from the axle, I should be able to pull the axle out. So I removed the flap, but there seems to be some kind of seal on THIS position (see arrow) that prevents the axle from being pulled out.
Ashtray Automotive tire Gas Electrical tape Wood

Was someone ever able to get that axle out?
Is this cap removable?

·
Registered
R1250 RT
55 Posts
Check out the Dutch BMW GS forum, I’m not sure but if I recall correctly there is a thread about fixing this issue by removing the bearings?

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Check out the Dutch BMW GS forum, I’m not sure but if I recall correctly there is a thread about fixing this issue by removing the bearings?
Found it, thanks!
I think it is sensible to translate and share:

(with credit to FreekC)
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Wood Rim Gas

Google Translate of the Dutch forum text:
[*]To start I drill 7 holes.
[*]With an awl you start poking and rooting a bit in the outer holes.
[*]A big pile of black junk comes out.
[*]In the middle hole a tap with a knock and on the other side, on the wheel, a little bit back so the valve goes back and forth a bit.
[*]With some policy of course.
[*]A little imal or other real penetrating oil works wonders.
[*]I can hardly imagine that this is all soot and carbon from the combustion.
[*]I think there is a carbon graphite bearing bush in it, given the material that comes out.
[*]Then blow in with high pressure.
[*]You immediately feel that the valve will move more easily.
[*]Then a while in the ultrasonic tank and the valve goes like new again.
[*]Now close the holes, the thing is hanging in the spray of your rear wheel.
[*]It was a bit of thinking, but I solder a 20 cent coin on it.
[*]It doesn't look very nice, but you can't see it under your motorcycle.
Another suggestion is this:
(with credit to Plof Plof)
Wood Sleeve Rectangle Metal Circle

I sawed off the "lid" and then chipped out the hard black carbon. The shaft is completely clean again and the valve turns smoothly again. Reassembled the valve without closing the shaft. For the time being, no dirt has been added, I think because exhaust gases are leaking along the axle that keep dirt out.

Reactions: Panzermann
1 - 8 of 8 Posts