BMW R1200R Forum banner
1 - 20 of 55 Posts

· Retired In Beautiful Tennessee
1,895 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Picked up a nail in my two month old Michelin Road 6 rear, patch won't hold air, now waiting for a replacement <sigh>.

Wondering if it's possible to repair, vs. replace, the basically new tire.

Thanks, Dave

Reactions: mikeS

· Registered
1,317 Posts
Picked up a nail in my two month old Michelin Road 6 rear, patch won't hold air, now waiting for a replacement <sigh>.
Have you tried a Stop n Go tire plug? I had a tire we tried ropey plugs, pull-through from the inside mushrooms, and both a plug and a patch over it. None worked, so tried a stop-n-go plug and that worked immediately.

1,895 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the suggestion. Yup, Stop n Go plugs are what I have, and have used successfully in the past, but not this time. Pulled a 16 penny nail (spike) out of my rear, time I reamed out the hole it was pretty big, and sadly neither of two plugs would stop the air loss. Might be able to get enough of the snotty ropes in there to plug the hole, but will probably just replace the basically new tire. Now waiting for the dealer to get a replacement. Just got the pair scrubbed in. Sigh.

Cheers, Dave

Reactions: mikeS

· Registered
2012 R1200R, K27, Light-grey Metallic
289 Posts
New tyres seem te act like magnets for nails. My mechanic had a bizar hobby to keep all replaced tyres with the nail/screw sticking in the whole. I guess the collection was about 50 pcs, all rears, and most under 500 km old.

Also in our neighborhood they clean streets with a wire brush machine. At some time they got cheaper brushes and these shooted the wires into tyres of parked cars. The ones not hitting target were notorious for bikers to pick up and launch into the rear tyre. After many complaints the local government had to pay for damage. You'd think they would get rid of those bad wire brushes, but they simply moved them to the next city, and the whole play began from the start...

• Wow
Reactions: dbyker

· Mark – Super Moderator
2015 R1200R Exclusive
8,110 Posts
Thanks for the suggestion. Yup, Stop n Go plugs are what I have, and have used successfully in the past, but not this time. Pulled a 16 penny nail (spike) out of my rear, time I reamed out the hole it was pretty big, and sadly neither of two plugs would stop the air loss. Might be able to get enough of the snotty ropes in there to plug the hole, but I'm just gonna replace the basically new tire. Now waiting for the dealer to get a replacement. Just got the pair scrubbed in. Sigh.

Cheers, Dave
Stop n Go, snot strings and their like are really only stop-gaps to get you home or to a tyre shop. If the tyre has plenty of tread, why not have it professionally repaired - a vulcanised patch applied from the inside and has the integrity of a new tyre. About A$50 here.

· Premium Member
706 Posts
I'm not sure garages will do permanent patches to motorcycle tires in the US, at least in my area. A friend tried to have this done for a clean, middle of the tire nail puncture and was told they wouldn't patch it for liability reasons.

· Registered
289 Posts
...they wouldn't patch it for liability reasons.
Yes, many shops try to sell extra tires this way.
A vulcanized patched spot is stronger than an undamaged tire, but hey, The Netherlands is catching up with the American claim culture quickly, so common sense goes overboard ;)

• Sad

· Mark – Super Moderator
2015 R1200R Exclusive
8,110 Posts
I'm not sure garages will do permanent patches to motorcycle tires in the US, at least in my area. A friend tried to have this done for a clean, middle of the tire nail puncture and was told they wouldn't patch it for liability reasons.
🤦🏼‍♂️

1,895 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Pretty much my experience, bike & tire shops in the US unwilling to patch tires due to potential litigation in case of accident, never mind the science, ecology, etc. Can't say I blame them, many of my countrymen/women/non-binaries would probably consider it hitting the lotto if they could sue a tire shop for their own driving mishap.

I'll report back if I find a shop willing to do it, but I'm not holding my breath.

Best, Dave

• Sad
Reactions: MotoCon

· Mark – Super Moderator
2015 R1200R Exclusive
8,110 Posts
Gas Box Packing materials Electric blue Packaging and labeling

A biking buddy who’s a fanatical DIY-er (owns a Benelli Tornado …) does his own workshop puncture repairs using what the trade uses - cold vulcanising patches.
Burring tool to scuff up the inner face of the tyre. Rubber solution. Roller wheel to work the patch into the surface. Good as new.

· Registered
289 Posts
many of my countrymen/women/non-binaries would probably consider it hitting the lotto if they could sue a tire shop for their own driving mishap
Sad but true, and not only in the US...

• Sad

· Registered
2017 R1200r LC sport.
2,189 Posts
View attachment 118388
A biking buddy who’s a fanatical DIY-er (owns a Benelli Tornado …) does his own workshop puncture repairs using what the trade uses - cold vulcanising patches.
Burring tool to scuff up the inner face of the tyre. Rubber solution. Roller wheel to work the patch into the surface. Good as new.
I do the same, in fact my R1200 has a patch in it now, no problems at all.

· Registered
97 Posts
Really liked my Road 6s til the rear picked up a nail after two months, patch won't hold air, now waiting for a replacement <sigh>. Still, recommended.
... I reamed out the hole it was pretty big, and sadly neither of two plugs would stop the air loss. Cheers, Dave
I found the same problem with the Road 5s on several occasions. Wouldn't hold air and a few times spat out the rope like the cement wouldn't bond. Never seen it before or since with other tyres. Great tyre although in my experience longevity wasn't great particularly on the front.
Switched back to Angel GT II and have noticed a drop in grip under hard acceleration on rough surfaces but looking forward to a bit more mileage.

· Registered
R1250R
961 Posts

Presumably that is what is known in the UK as a Mushroom Plug repair. It is the only approved repair available in the UK. External plugs, string etc is acceptable only as a short distance get you home repair – 50 mph should not be exceeded.

Sadly I’ve had more than my fair share of mushroom repairs over the years – never had any issue with such a repair.

My R1250R is currently on T32’s. Very happy with them so far.

· Registered
37 Posts
I’ve had 5 rear flats (4 on near new tyres). A couple were large cuts and non-repairable but sticky string and carrying a small compressor works for me. Last repair on my Guzzi with almost new rear Road 4 lasted 10,000 kays after repair. I agree vulcanised interior patch would be better

· Registered
R1250R
961 Posts
Last repair on my Guzzi with almost new rear Road 4 lasted 10,000 kays after repair. I agree vulcanised interior patch would be better.
I’d say that’s fine if you don’t mind risking your life for the sake of a cheap and easy repair, not to mention your insurance company will very likely leave you high and dry if that string pops out and you have a serious accident.

I’ll use sticky string to limp home, then it is wheel off and off to a motorcycle tyre retailer for a pukka repair.

· Registered
97 Posts
That’s what the TPMS is for ;)

Have it done professionally if you want piece of mind, but rope repairs are normally fine for the life of the tyre. A riding buddies record was 6 before it was completely worn out.

· Registered
33 Posts
I concur with the comments about not being able to to get US tire stores to help out with moto tires so I have been taking care of business in my own garage for years. I have a bead breaker, tire spoons, rim protectors (the newer large nylon units with 2mm foam padding added), a harbor freight static wheel balancer, a good selection of weights, patches and other repair stuff. On the road I carry tire plugs and the tools to facilitate a quick repair and a small rechargeable air compressor. It's all easy stuff and anyone can learn to do their own fitting/repairs.

· Super Moderator
3,401 Posts
This thread keeps plugging along...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 55 Posts