BMW R1200R Forum banner

21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
2,625 Posts
@sturgeon, thanks for the offer to reproduce your peg change for my benefit. And yes, the roadster springs are remarkably stiff. I have no doubt it can be done by hand - but the tool usage made it much easier.

You're right about the E-clips being very soft - I noticed this the other day. A gentle squeeze with a a pair of pliers tightened them up to my satisfaction.

Thanks @mikeS - this video was perfect. I was on my way out to the garage with an Irwin Quick-Grip clamp with the idea of squeezing the spring into place when I decided to check this thread first. The video was, therefore, a nice confirmation of my plan of attack. A benefit to the Quick Grip clamp is that it is non-marring.

Thanks again folks.

Matt

There you go a true lateral thinker. A man who has tools and not afraid to use them. Great, I'm glad the video helped. Yes, those springs are very stiff and the compression method is the best way I have found to get the job done.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
5,397 Posts
I think you have a gentler touch than I. I'm like the proverbial bull in the c-clip shop - last one I tried rehabilitating ended up as a w-clip.

Maybe I need to get myself some proper right-handed down-under long-neck pliers instead of the $2 lefties I bought at a bodega in Mexico a couple of years ago. (Long boring story about a rental car's battery clamps - use your imagination)
For work where a little ‘over-squeeze’ would be catastrophic I use Vise Grips. For really soft items, gripping the item then winding in the adjuster screw can be sufficient.

Reactions: mikeS

·
Super Moderator
5,397 Posts
There you go a true lateral thinker. A man who has tools and not afraid to use them. Great, I'm glad the video helped. Yes, those springs are very stiff and the compression method is the best way I have found to get the job done.
Why did I think of you, @mikeS, when I saw this:

Reactions: arfingdog

·
2,625 Posts
Reactions: Panzermann

·
Super Moderator
5,397 Posts
Could it be that the choir conductor has a dog’s fur cap just like mine?
I was thinking more the tools, Mike, although the hat is rather reminiscent of your hairstyle - I didn't know you had a matching hat.

Reactions: mikeS

·
Registered
216 Posts
Goodman, care to share your experience about the lower variety and how they're holding up? I need to replace my left side footpeg where the rubber is now loose. I might ziptie for a trip coming up but would eventually like to replace. I saw some made in china ebay stuff which is a lot cheaper but want to make sure I can stand on it as I like to occasionally to rest the legs and keep bloodflow moving, would hate for them to break if it's cheaper quality. Also, parts fiche pointed to some TSB which led to nowhere. Is there some sort of TSB on these footpegs? By the way, the video is the one that pointed me to the ebay site. Would the F800 footpegs fit (same p/n?) Thanks.

21 - 26 of 26 Posts