BMW R1200R Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everybody, I've just purchased a 19k Km 2016 R1200R lc.
The bike is really fine and goes well but I've noticed some minor esthetical points to be addressed.
One of this is that the frame in the area of the joint between the front frame with the rear frame has some cracks in the paint.
It seems to be a fatigue effect since it's both on the right and left side and there's no mark of mechanical damage.
I would like to know if the yours has the same "defect" and how to fix it.
Thanks!!!
Regards
Federico

Attachments

·
Mark – 2015 R1200R-LC Exclusive
6,696 Posts
As you say, it would seem to be simply cosmetic, @fedeskr1, as the paint has cracked away at the joint between the main frame and subframe. If it were on the frames themselves, then I'd be concerned about structural implications. I would think it is unusual though. There's no evidence of such deterioration on my 2015 grey frame, with almost 100,000 km on it.

Is there any evidence elsewhere of disassembly of the frame/sub-frame?

The simple fix would be just to apply some touch-up paint, if you could determine the colour.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I was thinking to a painting defect since there' no sign of mechanical scuff or scratches due to assembly disassembly:(

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
My investigations are progressing :D, today during a really nice travel in the Garfagnana countryside

I've found a 1200r identical to the mine (not the orange above but a white red R1200R!), it had the same identical paint issue in the same point of the frame...it seems so a painting process defect maybe affecting a particular batch of bikes..In any case now I'm curious and the next time that I will see another R I will check

;)!
In the meanwhile I've purchased the paint stick of the bmw m36 racing red colour!

·
Registered
178 Posts
Hello everybody, I've just purchased a 19k Km 2016 R1200R lc.
The bike is really fine and goes well but I've noticed some minor esthetical points to be addressed.
One of this is that the frame in the area of the joint between the front frame with the rear frame has some cracks in the paint.
It seems to be a fatigue effect since it's both on the right and left side and there's no mark of mechanical damage.
I would like to know if the yours has the same "defect" and how to fix it.
Thanks!!!
Regards
Federico
My red '16 doesn't show that on either side.

If my bike looked like that I'd loosen the bolts on both sides and torque them to spec just to make sure the paint damage was not from the parts shifting.

Joe

Reactions: GenlJuba

·
Registered
233 Posts
My red '16 doesn't show that on either side.

If my bike looked like that I'd loosen the bolts on both sides and torque them to spec just to make sure the paint damage was not from the parts shifting.

Joe
After reading your post, I had a look at the photos again and the markings on the paint where the two surfaces mate does give the impression that there were frequent minute movements over a period of time. I would definitely follow your recommendation if it was my motorcycle.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Dear all, I've just checked the coupling torque setting, everything is ok, also there's no sign of dismantling or whatsoever physical damage. As said before i've also found the same defect in the same identical place on another 16 red 1200, imo it's defenitely a painting quality issue that causes this little cracks on sharp edge surface due to the poor sticking quality.
I will touch up and everything will die there.
However I'm sure that some other lover of detail as me could find the same issue on his bike.
Thanks
Regards
Federico

1 - 7 of 7 Posts