BMW R1200R Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently started feeling a clunk when I apply the front disk brake and I don't remember feeling that before. Doesn't happen on every application of the brake, but can be reproduced by tapping the front brake lever.

I've brought the bike to a dealer who indicated that it's because the brake rotors have some radial play because of the floating assembly and it's normal. Then he showed both front brake rotors playing radially less than 1mm by using the hand to rotate the brake disk back and forth with the front wheel blocked.

Can someone confirm whether this is normal?

·
Registered
133 Posts
I recently started feeling a clunk when I apply the front disk brake and I don't remember feeling that before. Doesn't happen on every application of the brake, but can be reproduced by tapping the front brake lever.

I've brought the bike to a dealer who indicated that it's because the brake rotors have some radial play because of the floating assembly and it's normal. Then he showed both front brake rotors playing radially less than 1mm by using the hand to rotate the brake disk back and forth with the front wheel blocked.

Can someone confirm whether this is normal?
Floating rotors clunking a bit is not uncommon. Do a good visual inspection of both sides of all the float buttons to make sure they are all still intact then don't worry about it.

If the bike is not under warranty a dealer skipping an opportunity to sell you some expensive parts is a clue in itself. BMW is, after all, an acronym for Bring More Wallet.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts